MF 304

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just picked up this tractor. It has the 4 cyl perkins in it, 1965 model. Smokes very little. Everything works on it but it isn't pretty. needs some paint. Anyway, is anyone familiar with these? It doesn't have th shuttle shift on it, and I was wondering if it was possible to retrofit it. Also would like to know if I can add a throttle lever in addition to the foot control. I only gave 2200 for it, so have a bit left to tweak it if possible. Only downside is that it has a small bucket on it.

Ok, well, maybe someone knows the location of the hyd filter and the capacity. I ordered a manual, but its going to be awhile before I get it because of the age

hooknline":1o8q78uq said:
Ok, well, maybe someone knows the location of the hyd filter and the capacity. I ordered a manual, but its going to be awhile before I get it because of the age

Try these, Tractor Specs and TractorData.com

Seems its the same as the 165. Motor anyway -68 HP Perkins diesel - they used the 4-108 and the 4-234 or something like that -both put out about the same horsepower . The same motors were used on MF175 s and I have a couple of them
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/mode ... 304&r=zone

The hydraulics are under the seat under a bloody heavy cover plate and the filter will be right down the bottom. It rarely needs changing ,its usually just a mesh screen job but here's a parts place to start and they have some images on the side you can usually locate parts from those and other sites for a 165.

If you have hydraulic problems with it pull the drain plug when it has sat overnight at least and watch the first stuff out when it turns to oil put the plug back and tighten up. There is often water in the oil and it settles to the bottom.

There's usually a small dipstick to the drivers right down 1/2 way up the housing sometimes its just remove one of 3 bolts and squeeze in any way you can .

If the hydraulics are jerky or leaky then its sometimes the pressure relief valve but don't go there until you have explored all other options.

Dont understand what you mean about changing the shift. Mine all have throttle levers so maybe yours has been removed?

Thanks Ty. Mine doesn't have the shuttle shift, just gears, sure would be nice if it did. Also, just has a foot throttle, and would be nice if it had a throttle lever on the dash to hold rpm where its needed