MF 255 Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Phil in Tupelo

Reaction score
For anyone with experience with a Massey Ferguson 255 and 265 or 275 which are likely very similiar.

My 255 has one grease zerk on the backside of the front axle near the pivot point. On the front side of the axle there is another hole that will hold a 1/8th in. zerk but it will not tighten. I don't know if that hole is for a zerk that has been lost (1975 model) or if it came empty and maybe is a weep hole for the above mentioned zerk on the rear of the axle. The 1/8th zerk I tried was a JD brand but I would guess that are all standard, subject to SAE/inch or Metric. Could this be for a zerk that drives in rather than screws in?

I did have a king pin replaced about 20 or so years ago and based on what it cost then, I certainly don't wish to replace one now due to failure to grease timely. Tractor receives light to average use with a front end loader putting hay up during the summer and putting hay out in the winter.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.
Phil in Tupelo

I looked at my 255. It does not have the hole you mentioned. The operators and repair manuals only shows one zerk on each side. Most zerks are either 1/4-28 or 1/16 npt in inch sizes. I've not seen a press in zerk. I've seen press in oil ports, but I would think the pressure you can generate with a grease gun would push a press in zerk out too easily.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Bryan

Determine if the right and the left spindle housing are exactly alike other that the zerk being on the backside of each. If so, to be interchangeable then there could be an unused hole depending on which side the spindle housing is used.

Thanks for your help with this little issue. I think now that it is just a weep type hole and does not indicate a missing zerk.

I have a 77 model 265 I will look, I don't remember a grease fitting in the location you ask about. I also have the shop and owners manuel will look through them as well.

PS went and looked this morning, mine didn't have a zerk in the location in question.

Thanks. You know I just had the owners/operators manual for years. Had some good info but just the minimum. A few years back I purchased a shop manual and parts manual. In fact purchased a knock off manual if you will and then thought enough of it that I purchased a second thru Massey. I am sure the manuals were the same but the Massey was of better quality and the pictures and drawings were more sharp so the detail was better. If you have a tractor that you like and don't have the manuals mentioned it is a good investment. Consider the manuals, it is a cheap investment that will help you take better care of a larger investment. Again thanks for your comments.
Phil in Tupelo

Latest posts