MF 240 or Kubota L4330???

Help Support CattleToday:

JoshuaMLewis

Reaction score
Which should I go with?

1.) The Massey Ferguson 240 is a 1995 with only 496 hours and has a loader and a 6' international bushhog. It is 2WD but in great shape. Price is $8,900.

2.) The Kubota L4330 is a 2003 with 600 hours. It also has a loader but no mower. It is 4 WD and in good shape. Price is $10,500.

What say you?

I don't have alot of expierence with mf tractors i have heard that the pto shafts can be weak spots in them but like i said i don't know alot about them. personaly i would take the kubota if it had 2000 hours i have and have had sevarel kubotas that size and bigger and they are about all i want to own. hope this helps i can tell you more about what i like about the kubota if you want more information.

I swear CB had a post here praising the Perkins engine in the Massey. I 2nd that, great reliable engines. I have some concerns about the front end of the 240 being heavy enough for a loader. If you are moving hay in the mud, I'd take the 4wd.

Finally a machinery question I have experience with. I have a Massey 240. Very dependable. The Perkins is stingy enough on fuel to eventually pay for the thing. But, if your feeding rolls in winter get the Kubota.

I worked as a tech (mechanic to us old schoolers) for a Kubota dealer 2007-2009, and they too had PTO shaft problems--mostly on their bigger M-series tractors. The bearing cages that held the PTO output section would break, causing complete failure of the PTO section. IIRC, all happened while pulling batwing mowers and all were covered under warranty, but gawd what a mess it makes when that bearing cage goes-lots of little tiny steel shards thru out the hydraulic fluid holding cavities. The only other significant and recurring problem I saw was a lot of loader cylinder failures--lift and tilt cylinders. Piston retaining nuts backing off the shafts and piston seals going south on almost new units, and we had a big pallet full of warranteed cylinders to ship back to Kubota. BUT, you know how it is when you work in any shop--you see all the failures every day, but don't have a perspective of how that balances out in comparison to the total numbers sold. I saw only one early engine failure while I was there--a piston pulled in 2 on an engine with less than 100 hrs on it--factory defective piston I suspect. It happens in any and all brands every once in a while.

Perkins diesel=virtually bulletproof. I have one in an old Leyland that has just been a hoss of a tractor and engine.

i agree any new or used tractor or truck or any kind of equipment no matter the brand will have some kind of little or big problem. again i am not against the mf but i have never had any kind of major problem with my kubotas.

2wd vs. 4wd with a loader? 4wd no brainer

The only thing I have against the Kubota is, to me, they are light in the rear. If they had another 300 or 400 lbs under the seat I wouldn't have any problems at all with them.

The 4330 is a small compact tractor. 4 wheel drive all right but if the loader breaks the front axle you will be out big bucks. I think I would prefer the Massey 240. Better stronger frame. The rear axle on the 4330 looks pretty weak as does the hitch for a trailed shredder or a tool like it.

While I have no personal experiance with a 240MF I can tell you that if it's anything like the 275MF that I have you'll like this tractor-alot!
dad bought new in the late 80s and it's been a solid reliable tractor. 2wd & it has a MF quick tach loader. Handled many round bales with no issues. Perkins engine sips fuel and the only thing I've done to it is rebuilt injector pump-seals started to leak due to "new" fuel formulation.

You have probably made up your mind by now. I have a 4330 Kabota. I use it very hard. They WILL tip over. I filled the rear tires with fluid, not enough, I have the top and tilt kit which came with 4 weights,2 per side, not enough, I now have 5 50# weights on each side. Feels good now. Like I said I use it hard and put an oversized bucket on the loader. Could have a little more power, but like I said I use it hard. Best of luck to you,
Sheepdr

Latest posts