mexico

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Mexico becomes Canada's best friend in BSE crisis
this document web posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 20040930p3

By Barbara Duckworth
Calgary bureau

Mexico has become Canada's most liberal trading partner since BSE prevented beef exports to most major markets.

"Mexico has been a true friend to Canada," said Blair Coomber, director general for international trade policy within Agriculture Canada.

Shipments increased from 18,000 tonnes in 2002 to 44,000 this year, and Mexico has indicated a willingness to take more products.

Mexico is beef deficient but when it decided to open borders last year, some Mexican politicians and cattle producers were critical. However, consumers did not react badly when offered Canadian beef.

The United States is the wall between the two trading partners, Coomber told the Canada Beef Export Federation marketing seminar in Calgary on Sept. 25.

The U.S. does not permit shipments of certain products across its soil to Mexico so these must be by sea or air, adding more cost for exporters.

The Americans' intransigence could set the Mexican dairy industry back 20 years, said Javier Trujillo, chief veterinary officer for the Mexican ministry of agriculture.

About half of Mexico's dairy replacement heifers came from Canada and there is no viable substitute supplier, Trujillo said in an interview.

Mexico cannot import semen or embryos at this time under the trade embargo. Further, it cannot import cattle from South America because of recurring problems with foot-and-mouth disease in some countries.

Loss of replacements of Holstein and Jersey heifers has caused milk productivity to decline. Mexico does not import fluid milk.

"This is really hampering the future of the dairy industry in Mexico," he said.

It is also well known by Texas that when you go to Mexico you don't drink the water and you don't eat (with the exception of a couple of well known resturaunt) or you will get sick. Mexico does not have the same standards as the US so this does not suprise me.

Txshowmom,
Not quite sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that you're not suprised that Mexico is supportive of trade with Canada because you believe Canadian beef and dairy cattle to be sub-standard?

Just looking for clarification. Thanks.

Take care.

txshowmom":uf179zua said:
It is also well known by Texas that when you go to Mexico you don't drink the water and you don't eat (with the exception of a couple of well known resturaunt) or you will get sick. Mexico does not have the same standards as the US so this does not suprise me.

How right you are txshowmom- but the USDA still allows Mexico to export Mexican slaughtered beef to the US with no way of diferentiating it from US beef-- in fact the USDA assists in the fraud to the consumer by allowing the Mexican beef to be stamped with the USDA stamp and passed off as a US product. Makes me wonder how much Mexican beef was mixed into that last whopper the grandkids ate.

I've heard too many horror stories about those Mexican slaughter houses.

Txshowmom,
Not quite sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that you're not suprised that Mexico is supportive of trade with Canada because you believe Canadian beef and dairy cattle to be sub-standard?

Just looking for clarification. Thanks.

Not directly. All I am saying is that Mexico has much lower standards that the US so it does not suprise me with anything they do. I am sure that Canadian beef is fine and I would have NO problem ordering a steak in Canada, just not Mexico.

Latest posts