Mexico bans beef, lamb, pork, poultry from 30 plants

Help Support CattleToday:

Toby L.":2zi3s0rv said:
I'm going to quite now before I make my self look more stupid, it was just a bunch of random thoughts anyway.

Not stupid at all. Heck, its a better idea than what we are operating under now. We need fair trade - plain and simple.

SRBeef":2zi3s0rv said:
I think that like it or not we are in a world economy for the foreseeable future.

This can be a good thing - the more we trade with each other the less likely we are to go to war with each other.

I agree, we are there now and many strategists think this will prevent wars hence the idea of using our money to prop up and expand other peoples economies and infrastructures. To me, this is like buying friends. I've always been told that if you gotta buy a friend you are better off without them.

Another requirement of trade is that it needs to be not used as a political weapon. As soon as you use it as a weapon, folks work real fast to find a way around your product. Many examples of this.

That's the biggest problem I see with this one world mess. We as producers are the ones who will take it on the chin. Also, with super strong centralized gov't, it doesn't take but one knit-whit making a bad trade to send a whole segment of the economy into a recession.

Responding as the Mexicans have IF this is truly a response to COOL as it most clearly appears to be,

If this is truly a politcal gambit, I'm sure they could point out many gambits our boys in DC have done as well. Its politics and unfortunately the more we go toward these trade treaties the more we as producers are going to be used as pawns in their little political games and we are the ones that will get hurt. I'll shut up now. I just wish I could produce what I produce without outside influences monkeying with my livelihood.

It is frustrating. You know, there are cattle breed associations that are actively pursuing selling live cattle to Mexico. I would think this would make them think twice. But probably not.. people are greedy, and rarely think past making a fast $$.

TheBullLady":30hrlm5r said:
It is frustrating. You know, there are cattle breed associations that are actively pursuing selling live cattle to Mexico. I would think this would make them think twice. But probably not.. people are greedy, and rarely think past making a fast $$.

This is so true. I've always been told that "pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered". If you think about it there is a lot of truth in this. I've known a lot of "flashes in the pan". Those who try to make a killing on one or two deals. They never seem to prosper over the long run. I prefer steady consistancy. With this, I can better plan for tomorrow.

Jogeephus":3bekzrld said:
TheBullLady":3bekzrld said:

This is so true. I've always been told that "pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered". If you think about it there is a lot of truth in this. I've known a lot of "flashes in the pan". Those who try to make a killing on one or two deals. They never seem to prosper over the long run. I prefer steady consistancy. With this, I can better plan for tomorrow.
I agree 100% Jo I have known too many people that are after the fast buck and can never figure out why they never have anything when if they would have taken the steady approach with the business they were in they would have been set but you could never tell them that

Angus Cowman":25q8m72k said:
I agree 100% Jo I have known too many people that are after the fast buck and can never figure out why they never have anything when if they would have taken the steady approach with the business they were in they would have been set but you could never tell them that

The fast buck does not make for good sleeping at night....

Now I'm not all that up on Mexico but I suspect the problem is COOL has restricted their ability to ship feeder cattle into the USA? People say Mexican cattle are inferior. Occasionally I catch Superiors sale on TV and those Mexican feeders look pretty much like anything else to me?
When the Canadian/USA free trade announcement came into being the USA insisted we scrap the Crow freight rate. This Crow rate was designed to assist Canadian grain farmers to ship grain to the ports over the railroads. Basically no Crow rate...no export market for prairie barley...as the freight cost was about one half the price of barley. OK...so what do we do with millions of acres of grain land that don't make any sense anymore? Well free trade gave us ASSURED access for our livestock/meat sales and we expanded the cowherd and the hog barns. We had ready and willing buyers in the USA in the form of feeders and packers.
If anyone thinks Canada has an advantage somehow I'd sure like to know how? We pay so much more for everything up here from fuel, fertilizer, equipment etc. you would not believe it!
NAFTA clearly states when a product enters the other country and is processed in a meaningful way then it becomes a product of that country. Take a five month old Alberta feeder calf? Ship him to a Nebraska feedlot. Slaughter him in a US packing house a couple of hundred days later. Under NAFTA he is a product of the USA. Now you might not agree with that...but it is in the NAFTA rules.
President elect Obama says he wants to renegotiate NAFTA, which is probably a good thing? I think Canada would sure like to renegotiate some things too! Canada really does need to quit relying on USA markets. Oil/gas, uranium, iron ore, nickel all come to mind(probably water in the future). We need to cut our own side deals with the emerging asian markets for all our commodities. Maybe cut a few deals with the Europeans?
Canada is the USA's biggest trading partner and that goes both ways. If we both think the other guy is screwing us then we should dissolve NAFTA and trade more with the world? Personally I think NAFTA makes sense. After all the USA has products we want and we have products the US wants? But the deal doesn't allow either of us to cherry pick...its either you buy the whole package...or nothing. Just my opinion.

One other thing: Is the idea of the "Amero" really such a bad thing? The current system where the currency is all over the map...how does that improve trade and commerce? Trade and commerce are what makes the world go round, in my opinion.
I have some oil and gas assets. In a 8 month period this year we have seen the Canadian dollar go from 90 cents to $1.07 and then down to below 80 cents! I suspect by next year the Canadian dollar might be way over par again...but who knows?
Does this make for stability for Canadian oil/gas companies(which incidently are mostly American companies). The oil/gas market is volatile enough without throwing in wild currency fluctuations into the mix.
Or take another example: A one ton Dodge truck in April 2008. $42,000(Canadian) up here...same truck in North Carolina $28,000(Canadian)...both built in the same factory! When I phoned the NC dealer he was all gung ho...until he learned I was from Canada...then it was sorry I can't sell to you! This is free trade?
A few years ago it was the same thing only the other way...all because of currency fluctuations! It really doesn't make sense that an Alberta farmer should be buying a truck in North Carolina...or for that matter a North Carolina farmer should be buying a truck in Alberta? This is the silly stuff that happens with currency.
It actually makes business in North America uncompetitive?
I realize Americans have this patriotism thing that clouds their judgement on what makes sense in trade and commerce. I'm not sure why?

Alberta farmer":fl6z3xw8 said:
Now I'm not all that up on Mexico but I suspect the problem is COOL has restricted their ability to ship feeder cattle into the USA? People say Mexican cattle are inferior.
Inferior defined as what? Sorry product? Or is it a really squabble over how to keep carriers of fever ticks, TB, brucellocis among others from entering the country?

1982 vette: Well like I said I'm not all that much up on Mexico. I wonder though how the Texas feedlots who depended on those Mexican feeders are feeling about COOL right now? How many dollars are being lost in that trade?
We can clearly see it up here in Canada. We miss those American buyers buying our feeder cattle. But we are adjusting to that reality by shrinking our cowherd, which personally I think is a good thing in the long run. I just hope the Canadian government has the fortitude to retaliate after they win the trade action.
Many people up here look forward to the day we can "de-couple" from the USA and start to be more than the USA whipping boy. Have a problem...blame Canada! LOL

Toby L.":3t2lc3ge said:
I was just curious about the economic impact would be if we did close our borders. But then I think of everything that we import, oil being a biggy, and all the cheap junk from china, that they make from our scrap iron. I guess it was just a silly thought when you look at the big picture, it just upsets me to think of all the jobs that got sent overseas, and the high unemployment rate that we're facing now. When I read about how fast beef prices will drop even more because Mexico banned the imports for a couple days, it makes me want to say screw you guys, if you can screw with our markets that easy, were going to screw with yours. It just shows how much we depend on other countries for our own economics. And I don't like it, what do you think would happen if China stopped importing from the U.S.? It would break our already crippled economy, and they know that. Maybe their not in the position right now to do that, they must need us for our products otherwise they wouldn't be importing from us. I'm going to quite now before I make my self look more stupid, it was just a bunch of random thoughts anyway. :)

Toby L, You ever think about running for congress? I'm serious! I'd like to donate some time.

Alberta farmer":ve678t0g said:
Many people up here look forward to the day we can "de-couple" from the USA and start to be more than the USA whipping boy. Have a problem...blame Canada! LOL

I'm sorry you feel that way as I've always been pro-Canada and have never knocked your country. You are bringing up specific treaties, I'm speaking in broader terms which will effect you and I more than you seem to realize. NAFTA is nothing but a doormat compared to what the power-brokers have in mind. WE as producers best grab our ankles.

Jogeephus: Most people would say I am pro-American. Now I'm no world traveller or anything but have been to several western states and found the people friendly and always admired their very independent attitude. I have cousins around Portland Oregon and another married an American girl and lives in Seattle.
I'm not naive enough to believe Canada is lily white on every deal...we probably screw the USA as much as we get screwed!
I am not a Canadian patriot in any way, shape or form. Alberta is my home and my country.
I do believe Canada and the USA have a good relationship and if we could get our act together it could be even a better relationship. For the majority of western Canadians the border is just a line that hinders us and penalizes us from buying and selling.
My Dad had a good American friend he met when they were both in a hospital in England during the war. Both had been evacuated from Germany after being wounded. Every few years he visited and always brought us kids different things from the USA that we'd never seen up here. Can still taste those baby ruth chocolate bars.

I've thought about getting into polotics, but I have a few alcohol related offenses in the past that I wouldn't want anyone bringing up and put in my face. Then agian, I would probably fit right in. :nod:

Alberta farmer":1r2s63nt said:
Jogeephus: Most people would say I am pro-American. Now I'm no world traveller or anything but have been to several western states and found the people friendly and always admired their very independent attitude. I have cousins around Portland Oregon and another married an American girl and lives in Seattle.
I'm not naive enough to believe Canada is lily white on every deal...we probably screw the USA as much as we get screwed!
I am not a Canadian patriot in any way, shape or form. Alberta is my home and my country.
I do believe Canada and the USA have a good relationship and if we could get our act together it could be even a better relationship. For the majority of western Canadians the border is just a line that hinders us and penalizes us from buying and selling.
My Dad had a good American friend he met when they were both in a hospital in England during the war. Both had been evacuated from Germany after being wounded. Every few years he visited and always brought us kids different things from the USA that we'd never seen up here. Can still taste those baby ruth chocolate bars.

Canada was the first country I ever visited and I have fond memories of my visit. You are right, our countries do have a good relationship. Unique actually. But I'm afraid that you and I and every other producer in both our countries are going to get screwed if some of these trade deals go through. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly believe that much of this NAFTA stuff is just a tiny hint of what the greedy power brokers actually have in mind for us. (check your local paper about the Banff meeting in Sept 2006) There are those in Canada, USA and Mexico who are wanting to open up our borders for unrestricted world wide free trade. To some, this will yield peace on earth. To others, this will mean lifting the less fortunate out of poverty. But what are you and I going to gain? Nothing. We will lose. How can we compete with people who will work for $40 a month? We can't. What I'm afraid of is the driving force behind the NAU is to further promote an elite corporate agenda aimed at flooding both our countries with cheap foreign goods which will have dior consequences as it will further erode our middle classes. JMO

Latest posts