Mexico bans beef, lamb, pork, poultry from 30 plants

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like just another example of politcal blackmail with producers being used as pawns. I'm afraid the low cost imports we americans so enjoy are really going to cost us a lot in the long run. JMO

They sure don't mid putting their name into tractor castings used in tractors and other things produced in Mexico. Makes one wonder why they want to hide the meat origin. :roll:

Let's put some heads together and do some radical thinking.

Don't seem to need them cars and car parts they make anymore.

Oils is cheap enough to buy elsewhere.

Gosh, we just don't have a lot of corn we can spare for tortillas since we are making corn squeezins for our cars.

Seems like a large number of US citizens are looking for work, how about a roundup and ship all the undocumented home? Documented without citizenship can stay until a citizen can be hired for their job.

That's just a quick start.

Remember also the packing plants don't like the COOL also. They want to be able to sell beef without letting the consumer know where it came from so they can sell lower cost imported beef etc from wherever they want. There could be more to this than meets the eye.

Personally, I would say that if Mexico chooses to not buy US beef that is their right to choose let them get it elsewhere.

My Dodge truck was made/assembled in Mexico. I think I will look at one made/assembled in the US next time. I think I'll pass on the bottle of Tecate and maybe the Mexican Restaurant too.

US consumers (us) have the right to know if the beef they are buying is coming from South Dakota or India, for example, as much of it is.

Tell the truth. Let the consumer decide. I guess some folks are afraid of telling the truth.

If the quality is good consumers may actually look for beef from Mexico. Our beef which is exported to Europe and Asia is sure source identified! jmho.

I think Mexico is just doing this as a polictical ploy to let it be known about their dis-approval of COOL.

I never really cared for NAFTA, it's cost the U.S. way too many jobs. Although Fender does make some really nice Telecasters and Strats in Mexico, the amount of plants that have popped up in the last 10 to 15 years located just south of the border is amazing.

The plant where I used to work's biggest customer, Avery Dennison (they make three ring binders - for school, etc) opened new plants in Tijuana and Juarez Mexico. Both plants stage raw materials in the U.S. just north of the border, and ship the raw materials into the plants in Mexico. There they pay next to nothing for labor and make products on the cheap. While the other Avery plants in the U.S. are struggling, the one's in Mexico are thriving. As far as the consumer knows, all of the binders are "Avery Dennison" binders. At least Fender guitars differentiates their made in Mexico guitars, which by the way, are worth far less than the same guitars made in the U.S. Crafstmanship does still have some advantages. It seems advantageous for the U.S. to source identify agricultural products.......

The "ban" is nothing more than a sham. It states in the article that it is going to be very short.

Sounds like someone is trying to flex a little muscle...

How long does everyone think it would take to recover if we stopped exporting and importing? Just close off our borders and worry about ourselfs for once. I know we would have a grain surplus, among other things. Maybe we could find something else to do with it. Maybe in a couple years we would be better off.

Toby L.":1qrxvr2k said:
How long does everyone think it would take to recover if we stopped exporting and importing? Just close off our borders and worry about ourselfs for once. I know we would have a grain surplus, among other things. Maybe we could find something else to do with it. Maybe in a couple years we would be better off.

Nothing wrong with import and export. The problem is the fact that "fair trade" is not fair. When you see how "fair" the trade is, you realize once again that the politicians have sold the farm out from under us yet again.

Fair should simply mean fair.

You tax my exports (tariffs) 10%, then I'll tax yours at 10%.

You tax my exports at 50%, then I'll tax yours at 50%.

Look at the numbers and you'll understand why free trade just ain't free.......

grannysoo":1755f5lm said:
Toby L.":1755f5lm said:

Nothing wrong with import and export. The problem is the fact that "fair trade" is not fair. When you see how "fair" the trade is, you realize once again that the politicians have sold the farm out from under us yet again.

Fair should simply mean fair.

You tax my exports (tariffs) 10%, then I'll tax yours at 10%.

You tax my exports at 50%, then I'll tax yours at 50%.

Look at the numbers and you'll understand why free trade just ain't free.......

Grannysoo, that makes way too much sense. It would never make it to a vote in Washington. :frowns:

I have wanted for years to see equal trade. We import so much value- then we have to match it with an equal value of exports. If not we quit importing what we can supply here anyhow or do without till it balances out again.

I think Toby L. has pretty well got it right. The USA is a trading nation(just like Canada) and can't produce everything it needs. And needs to trade.
Price is a consideration? If Mexico can produce a comparable product to USA manufacture(or Canadian) then why would the consumer pay more? Maybe some of you are a lot more patriotic than I am, but I would always buy the cheaper product(if same quality). I guess most Americans agree with me(or at least with their wallets) as Walmart seems to be doing quite nicely while a lot of US retail stores are crying for a "bailout"...JC Penny, Macys, etc.?
We live in a different world and the low cost producer is going to win, whether that is oil, cattle, soybeans or just about anything else? As a consumer would you want it any other way?

Alberta farmer":1gjkml1u said:
I think Toby L. has pretty well got it right. The USA is a trading nation(just like Canada) and can't produce everything it needs. And needs to trade.
Price is a consideration? If Mexico can produce a comparable product to USA manufacture(or Canadian) then why would the consumer pay more? Maybe some of you are a lot more patriotic than I am, but I would always buy the cheaper product(if same quality). I guess most Americans agree with me(or at least with their wallets) as Walmart seems to be doing quite nicely while a lot of US retail stores are crying for a "bailout"...JC Penny, Macys, etc.?
We live in a different world and the low cost producer is going to win, whether that is oil, cattle, soybeans or just about anything else? As a consumer would you want it any other way?

I read TobyL's post and I don't read it that way at all. Was he not promoting isolationism? You are talking free trade is the way to go and I agree with you but only if it is FAIR. But if you think it is fair for Canada and the USA to chip in and give Mexico $400 billion of our taxes dollars to help them out I don't think this is right. This type policy will erode both our middle classes and create a greater divide between those who have and those who have not. These "cheap" imports are going to come at a hidden cost that you or I cannot even begin to imagine.

Jogeephus":3loaduuj said:
Alberta farmer":3loaduuj said:

I read TobyL's post and I don't read it that way at all. Was he not promoting isolationism?

That was how I read it too

When Canada and the USA have to trade in our dollars for Amero's people are going to wonder how this happened.

Jogeephus":2fwzv02g said:
When Canada and the USA have to trade in our dollars for Amero's people are going to wonder how this happened.

I've seen talk of the Amero too...

Looks like the politicians are plotting against the people again.

It looks to me like this free trade stuff is just putting a different label on foreign aid.

I was just curious about the economic impact would be if we did close our borders. But then I think of everything that we import, oil being a biggy, and all the cheap junk from china, that they make from our scrap iron. I guess it was just a silly thought when you look at the big picture, it just upsets me to think of all the jobs that got sent overseas, and the high unemployment rate that we're facing now. When I read about how fast beef prices will drop even more because Mexico banned the imports for a couple days, it makes me want to say screw you guys, if you can screw with our markets that easy, were going to screw with yours. It just shows how much we depend on other countries for our own economics. And I don't like it, what do you think would happen if China stopped importing from the U.S.? It would break our already crippled economy, and they know that. Maybe their not in the position right now to do that, they must need us for our products otherwise they wouldn't be importing from us. I'm going to quite now before I make my self look more stupid, it was just a bunch of random thoughts anyway. :)

I think that like it or not we are in a world economy for the foreseeable future.

This can be a good thing - the more we trade with each other the less likely we are to go to war with each other.

However trade needs to be a two way street. It is not a stable situation when trade flows mostly one way or the dollars are way out of balance. IF trade flow $$ are way out of balance one or the other country eventually goes broke - or prints money to fill in the gap and ends up with massive inflation....but that's not a good topic for a pleasant Sunday afternoon.

Another requirement of trade is that it needs to be not used as a political weapon. As soon as you use it as a weapon, folks work real fast to find a way around your product. Many examples of this.

The thing that smells especially bad about this COOL labeling and the Mexican government ban is that it is blatantly political.

COOL and truth in labeling will win out eventually. It has too in a free country. We have a right to know where our food especially is coming from. That does not need to be a negative. Look how the Europeans use "imported" as a positive selling point and chance to charge more for cheese, ham, etc.

Responding as the Mexicans have IF this is truly a response to COOL as it most clearly appears to be, it just makes people avoid your products. US packers also need to get their heads out of the sand and use their resources to improve their products, not fight truth in labeling. Fighting the truth is a losing uphill battle. jmho.