Mexican Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":20o9i0ci said:
Is "Mexican Vulture" actually code for illegal alien?

No they are actually a Vulture that will attack in large number's. Several will distract the cow while others kill the calf.
They will also cause the cow to trample the calf to death defending the calf from them.

houstoncutter":1qmzmsgf said:
To tell the truth, I think we should be raising be nice with every elected official we can. These animals need to be sent packing. I know I cornered my State rep and he didnt have a clue to our problem... Lets go folks!!!! Its time to raise be nice!!!!

HC as you and I have talked our State Rep's are in session right now.
I talked with my Rep James White to contact your's John Otto.
Every other Texan on this board should be raising cain about these predator's with their State Reps.

Caustic Burno":1797pkux said:
houstoncutter":1797pkux said:
To tell the truth, I think we should be raising be nice with every elected official we can. These animals need to be sent packing. I know I cornered my State rep and he didnt have a clue to our problem... Lets go folks!!!! Its time to raise be nice!!!!

HC as you and I have talked our State Rep's are in session right now.
I talked with my Rep James White to contact your's John Otto.
Every other Texan on this board should be raising cain about these predator's with their State Reps.
Not just your Texas representatives but the US representatives in Washington. These birds are protected under a treaty with Mexico and you know how good our relations are with their government. Practice the 3 S's.

Can somebody post a pic of this creature I think some over here
With a big black bird with white underneath there wings as hanging around
The cows

bmcdonald":1nsw1ntw said:
Can somebody post a pic of this creature I think some over here
With a big black bird with white underneath there wings as hanging around
The cows

That's them. Their heads are black. Grey or white on their wings. Turkey buzzards have a red head. Mexican vultures have shorter tail feathers and flop their wings at times more like a common bird. They are all about the same size.

The first thing the Mexican vultures take out on a calf is their eyes. They gouge the eyes. When the cow attacks others jump the calf immediately while the cow is distracted. I saw it across the pasture on a neighbor's place. Gates were locked and by the time I jumped the fence and ran across the pasture, it was too late. Our old common turkey buzzards were all flocked on the ground about 50 feet away, adding to the confusion while they watched and waited.

Calman, Game wardens here call and tell us when calves are being attacked, if they notice. They hang there until you arrive and then leave as to not witness your actions.

TennesseeTuxedo":gj9yrlxp said:
I know Highgrit. I was just up there this past weekend and helped with the spring work up. We had a couple of extremely young calves and I'm afraid those are the ones they took out.

They are a constant battle.
If you don't have a thicket, wood's or a shed for the cow's to calf in they are easy picken's.

There are some here circling every single day. Sometimes in a group like this--sometimes 10-20 or more in a wad.
cowsandtallow001.jpg

Caustic Burno":9zusq0hw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":9zusq0hw said:
I know Highgrit. I was just up there this past weekend and helped with the spring work up. We had a couple of extremely young calves and I'm afraid those are the ones they took out.

They are a constant battle.
If you don't have a thicket, wood's or a shed for the cow's to calf in they are easy picken's.

We have woods CB and the calves have access to them in all our pastures. I'm going to call this morning to get a better handle on where they were found.

Tennessee tuxedo hate to hear of the trouble with the vultures. Guess you are aware of the amount that roost at the dam on Ohio river. Right before dark they swarm in from day's hunting the countryside. Hate to guess how many but seems like 200 -400. Flocks like that every 5-8 miles up and down the river. Seem to split up in groups of 8-12 for days hunting.

: (

i am happy that we have a Great Pyrenees dog. He won't let them land on our place. He has saved several calves for us.

Found a new baby today. Doing fine. Mama cow had her moved to a safe distance because a bunch of the vultures were eating the afterbirth. I plugged one with the 17HMR Pand they all lost interest after that

TennesseeTuxedo":yukeqr3c said:
Lost another one yesterday. I'm mad as he!! But can't do a thing about it from where I am right now.

People have no clue how bad these boy's are until they get a dose of em.
There is not a varmit I haven't beat but these thing's are different.
You can take most things out in a day or two with a few snares or steel trap's problem solved.
These dang buzzards are endless. There is a 22 mag on the mule, in the truck, mini by the front door.
I have thought about going through the paperwork to get a silencer to pick off more of them.

Latest posts