Mexican Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I have several cow's calving right now and have been keeping an eye out.
These black devil's seem especially aggressive this spring. Seen a cow trying to fight off about twenty yesterday.
I lent her a hand.

They are everywhere here. Saw a bunch of em lined up on one of the crossings going over my pond a couple of mornings ago--also saw a couple of crows giving some buzzards heck a few days ago. Buzzards rob the young out of crow nests, but the crows don't give an inch. They'll take on anything.

Carry a shot gun all the time now. When I get a chance to put some down, they go down.

I saw one fly over my place today....with any luck it won't be a "regular" in our neighborhood.

Now those red headed ugly son-of-a-gun Turkey Vultures are welcome here any time.

Katherine

They are in bunches, here. There were more than 50 trying to get the afterbirth after a cow gave birth a few days ago. There were two that decided to raise young ones in my barn. It was an interesting observation that when a black mexican buzzard is sitting high in the tree, if it is hit with a 30-30 bullet from 100 yards, it will tumble head first and keep it's wings in until it hits the ground with a thud. Then, it's partner will come in and land on the same limb and stare down at the first one, on the ground. Then, when it is hit from 100 yards with a 30-30, it will also tumble head first with it's wings in until it hits the ground. Then, they both will lay there for an undetermined amount of time---so far, 8 days.

Around here we have been so rough on them you only get one your first shot.
They then fly out of range and it is sit and wait till they come back, and they will come back.
The dang thing's are not stupid they learned the range on the 22's and when we went to 223's they learned that.
They will fly out to a tree out of range and sit and watch and they can see you forever, they must have some amazing vision.

It is amazing the general public does not know about these vultures. They do not know the difference between them and turkey buzzards. If people started swarming in and eating calves it would be on the national media.

Another study was conducted today. A mexican buzzard sitting on a barn roof, when hit with a 30-30 from 60 yards will fall exactly like the ones that fall from a tree limb. Tumble forward, keeping wings in and plop with a thud. Must be something in the genetics

stocky":11h2xcix said:
Another study was conducted today. A mexican buzzard sitting on a barn roof, when hit with a 30-30 from 60 yards will fall exactly like the ones that fall from a tree limb. Tumble forward, keeping wings in and plop with a thud. Must be something in the genetics

Wish we could get within 60 yard's of the devil's.
Heard the neighbor working them over this evening.

stocky":1nnwz49b said:

One less in my pasture today. Came home from church, and there were about 8 cows behind the house, with a week-old calf laying out in the sun, napping. Mama was standing guard along with a couple others. Two of those vultures were sitting on the ground within 20 feet of them, and they didn't fly even when I drove within 40 yards. Didn't have a 30-30, but I noticed that a 17 HMR produced the same effect. No flapping wings; just thud. Those devils are bold.

what about flybait kills coons really well i hear. guess if u had a dead critter that u could lace up with some fly bait to keep the flys down might just help with the biggggggggggg black flys u all are havn lots of trouble with

Caustic Burno":10fpma6a said:
houstoncutter":10fpma6a said:
you know I have considered loading up something for them to eat that would be toxic to em...any ideas folks?

Trimec

Caustic, I had a group of them land just a few feet from a newborn calf. The afterbirth was still on the ground. All but one of the buzzards flew off except for one and the shotgun took care of him (BTW, don't point your stockless shotgun like a rifle and fire. It's a good way to loose some teeth :oops: ) I left that buzzard on the ground on its back with wings spread. The buzzards came back but would not land and then they eventually left altogether. About a week later I heard a comment on the radio that buzzards do not like to see one of their buddies lying on their back on the ground and someone out there is now making/selling fake buzzards to use a a deterant.

Had one lying in pasture this morning covered in snow. What could've ever happened to him ( wink wink) . Wishing the regular Turkey vultures would come back. 3 of his buddies landed for short time and took off. Didn't like what they seen I guess. Let us know if decoys work, for now I'll use real feathers.

Latest posts