Mexican Peppers

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo

Reaction score
We've got a grocery store in town that is now carrying a bunch of different (dried) Mexican peppers. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about them.

What do I need to look for in the following:

1. All around good taste - lo/no heat
2. Sweet - lo/no heat
3. Medium heat
4. Hot
5. Hot enough to melt the toilet seat the next day...

be warned those mexican chili peppers will do a number on your stomach.ive got an uncle that used to eat them by the handful.the hotter they was the more he liked emm.but they would send him to the bathroom in an hr or less.

bigbull338":1cx5na7e said:
be warned those mexican chili peppers will do a number on your stomach.ive got an uncle that used to eat them by the handful.the hotter they was the more he liked emm.but they would send him to the bathroom in an hr or less.

And the pain is much worse leaving than coming.

TexasBred":3hh4yhkg said:
bigbull338":3hh4yhkg said:

ive seen my uncle moaning after he got back from dumping them.

grannysoo":2tt062km said:
We've got a grocery store in town that is now carrying a bunch of different (dried) Mexican peppers. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about them.
I don't know a lot, but here are the ones we have messed with

1. All around good taste - lo/no heatPoblano (big green mild chili) or jalapeno with seeds removed
2. Sweet - lo/no heatregular bell peppers
3. Medium heatserrano, jalapeno or chipotle with the seeds, New Mexico chili
4. Hot??We don't go any hotter than medium at our house.
habanero or scotch bonnet is THE hottest I believe.

MO_cows":1ztexb0v said:
grannysoo":1ztexb0v said:

1. All around good taste - lo/no heatPoblano (big green mild chili) or jalapeno with seeds removed

Yep..if a jalapeno is a 10...those suckers are about a 400....a little dab will do you.

Sorry, Granny, I didn't catch "DRIED" the first read. I have only used New Mexico chili's dried, and they were mild. The others I referenced were used fresh. Or canned in the case of chipotle. If I have it right, chipotle is jalapeno left to ripen and turn red, and then smoked. I find them a little hotter than jalapenos but better overall flavor, no bitterness.

MO_cows":26fv4mc1 said:
grannysoo":26fv4mc1 said:

Thanks!

grannysoo":30tklgej said:

1. All around good taste - lo/no heat
2. Sweet - lo/no heat
3. Medium heat
4. Hot

Granny, can you get a list of them? Some are good for flavoring and not hot at all, just flavoring. Those habeneros will set boths ends on fire. Jalepenos come in various heat levels. You can lower the heat a bit by de-seeding and de-veining (remove ribs) them. Keep a little honey nearby to douse the flames in your mouth! (the kind in a jar :lol2: ) If your still not sure, just eat a very small piece first to test them out.

I made the mistake one day by eating a very hot pepper. Forgot what kind it was. I will never forget that day. They would make your eyes squirt.

TexasBred":2hsqh7tw said:
bigbull338":2hsqh7tw said:

That's why the Mexicans say"quemes dos veces" burns twice :help:

Here's the list of what is available locally:

Dried:

pasilla ancho
guajillo entero
arbor entero
japanese chili pods
new mexico chili pods
california chili pods

Fresh:

habanero
poblano
serrano
cubanelle
hungarian wax
red pasilla
red jalapeno
green jalapeno
anaheim

And the good ole' standby peppers:
Green, Yellow, Red, Orange.

Thanks all.

IF you know the Scoville Units, this will help a lot. If not, it still might give you some indication in comparison to what you know.
http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

I use poblano, serrano, and anaheim for flavor, in my opinion they are very mild pepers. I use green jalapenos for heat when I'm cooking for most people, and orange habaneros for a lot of heat for a select few people. Most people can't handle habaneros, so you probably should stay away from them.

It useds to be that the Habenero was supposedly the hottest, but if you google the worlds hottest pepper now it is the Bhut Jolokia from India.

It has 1,001,304 Scoville heat units and that is alot hotter than a Habenero.

You really don't want to touch one of those to your mouth. LOL

:oops: :oops: :oops:

FarmGirl10":18ui3jne said:
IF you know the Scoville Units, this will help a lot. If not, it still might give you some indication in comparison to what you know.
http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

I use poblano, serrano, and anaheim for flavor, in my opinion they are very mild pepers. I use green jalapenos for heat when I'm cooking for most people, and orange habaneros for a lot of heat for a select few people. Most people can't handle habaneros, so you probably should stay away from them.

Thanks for the link FarmGirl. That's a big help!

Latest posts