Mexican Farmers and Corn Crop.

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Saw were many Mexican farmers are planting corn due to ethanol boom instead of the crop they normally grow for Tequila.

Not only is the ethanol boom pushing up the cost of corn but also might cause a shortage of Tequila or push its price up. :cry:

not only that-- they are BURNING fields of agave to plant corn.

Y2K.

on a lighter note, wasnt there a prophet that said the world would end in the summer of 2007?

Beefy":1oodgc44 said:
on a lighter note, wasnt there a prophet that said the world would end in the summer of 2007?

I imagine there was, some nut has most all years picked in near future. I guess one of them might be correct someday. But I believe the Antichrist has to come first, but then again Hillary might be elected in 2008 so maybe the prophecies are coming true :lol:

aplusmnt":1nvsuu74 said:
Beefy":1nvsuu74 said:

I imagine there was, some nut has most all years picked in near future. I guess one of them might be correct someday. But I believe the Antichrist has to come first, but then again Hillary might be elected in 2008 so maybe the prophecies are coming true :lol:

Or maybe a Morman will be elected. :shock: But just so he doesn't cheat on his wife or support a woman's right to choose. Oops. That takes out the entire group of top Republicans candidates. :lol: :lol:

Lammie":2i7529w4 said:
Anyone hear about Fred Thompson running for president?

I saw a report that he's announcing that he'll be forming a committee to investigate running. If that looks good, he'll announce he's a candidate on July 4 in Nashville. Just what the party needs, another old white man. He's what, 10th or 11th to announce? :lol:

There's more here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2 ... pson_N.htm

Frankie":1lgwradi said:
aplusmnt":1lgwradi said:
Beefy":1lgwradi said:

Or maybe a Morman will be elected. :shock: But just so he doesn't cheat on his wife or support a woman's right to choose. Oops. That takes out the entire group of top Republicans candidates. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :( :mad:

Not a tequila drinker anyway...
I had to go do some inspections today- so on the way back thru town, naturally had to stop at the waterhole to catch up on gossip and discuss and cuss politicians...

Anyway while there a local rancher walked in with a bottle of Forty Creek Canadian whiskey... I had never seen or even heard of it before...Can't buy it locally- unless you special order in a case at a time (at $300 a case- $25 a fifth) which he had done... We had to crack a fifth open and sample-- and I have to say its one smooth whiskey :) :)

They advertise on the bottle as the number 1 in Canada, over Crown Royal and everything else - and I have to agree it is smooth and doesn't have the sweet taste and aftertaste that Crown does....

I guess its now catching on as "the drink" for all the cattle buyers and cowboys in this part of the country instead of Crown- altho it is a little too pricey for me- when you can get a 1/2 gallon of R&R for the same price...

I read an article the other day that vinyards in CA are tearing out their vines and planting olives. Wonder what the drunks will do with no corn squeezins or cheap wine.

dun":20j00r84 said:
I read an article the other day that vinyards in CA are tearing out their vines and planting olives. Wonder what the drunks will do with no corn squeezins or cheap wine.

I dunno...but I sure to like olives! :D

Alice

aplusmnt":3r1rwx59 said:
Saw were many Mexican farmers are planting corn due to ethanol boom instead of the crop they normally grow for Tequila.

Not only is the ethanol boom pushing up the cost of corn but also might cause a shortage of Tequila or push its price up. :cry:

I think I've seen a couple of news reports about increasing unrest r.e. tortilla prices. Since tequilla has larger profit margins than tortillas, I doubt there is much chance for agave production to go away.
Would it not take irrigation to grow corn on land that is now growing cactus?

Latest posts