Mexican Buzzards

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
What do you people think about the Mexican Buzzards we have now. I have not seen a turkey buzzard in years just these little black Mexican Buzzards. The cows are calving now. One calved today there were six of these buzzards around the cow agravating her. I went down and drove her and her calf back into the herd. The buzzards left. There have been reports of these buzzards killing new born calves. You are not supposed to shoot them according to the game warden he says that they are protected migatory birds. I do not think that this bunch migrates. They seem to be around here all of the time. I have found a few nests where they are rasing thier young.

hurleyjd":garpplx2 said:
What do you people think about the Mexican Buzzards we have now. I have not seen a turkey buzzard in years just these little black Mexican Buzzards. The cows are calving now. One calved today there were six of these buzzards around the cow agravating her. I went down and drove her and her calf back into the herd. The buzzards left. There have been reports of these buzzards killing new born calves. You are not supposed to shoot them according to the game warden he says that they are protected migatory birds. I do not think that this bunch migrates. They seem to be around here all of the time. I have found a few nests where they are rasing thier young.
Seems like everything from South of the border is protected now days. ;-) My Wife blasted some last year that were trying to get to a Calving Cow. They will peck the eyes and hind end out of a calf right quick.The ones around here have a white tip on the wings, and seem to be around in the Spring and Summer.

I had a calf born today, there were 6-8 buzzards of some kind landing in the pasture. the cows were keeping them run off.
I went and got my shotgun ;-) to scare them off, but they were gone.
I well be better prepared tomarrow.

I think Y'all should live trap Em Humanly, then send Em off to a better place. :cboy:

mnmtranching":153ixhfl said:
I think Y'all should live trap Em Humanly, then send Em off to a better place. :cboy:

;-) I agree, Humanly, to buzzard heaven.

Oh he11...just shoot the dam things and apologize for it later. My grandson has been told that when he gets one in his sites, blow it bits...then scatter the feathers.

Alice

Ever notice buzzards are the topic of discussion here and at the markets this time of year? My theory is all of the deer carcasses are drying up and the old boys are gettin hungry. We don't have a problem with them until about 3 or 4 weeks after deer season each year.

cfpinz

Buzzards are not a new problem. If momma does not hide or protect that new baby, they can become buzzard bate quick. I've been seeing it for years.

There are still some turkey buzzards in these parts.

Mexican Buzzards will gouge the eyes of calves and blind them. A cow can't do much about that, no matter how good of a momma she is. It is becoming a real problem. They were hitting calves pretty heavy last year at Chalk Mountain. They even gouge the eye of a bull.

hurleyjd":om1r0zha said:

I see them circling every day. If there's something dead on the road, or in the woods, there's a big bunch of them circling.

Where did you find the nests? I have no idea where or how they nest. If I knew, the next time my grandson visits for the weekend, he and I will be out looking for them.

Alice

We got buzzards too - not sure what type but they are some nasty critters. I've always assumed they were turkey buzzards - we don't really make no distinction we apply the same type of treatment to ANYTHING harming the cattle.

Alice":2g498o1y said:
hurleyjd":2g498o1y said:

I see them circling every day. If there's something dead on the road, or in the woods, there's a big bunch of them circling.

Where did you find the nests? I have no idea where or how they nest. If I knew, the next time my grandson visits for the weekend, he and I will be out looking for them.

Alice
I found one in the old diary barn attic on my place. The other was in the attic of an old building on a cousins place.

Thanks...that's gives me a starting place.

Alice

Bullbuyer":91n4xlxc said:
We got buzzards too - not sure what type but they are some nasty critters. I've always assumed they were turkey buzzards - we don't really make no distinction we apply the same type of treatment to ANYTHING harming the cattle.

Turkey Buzzards have read heads. Mexican buzzards don't. They look more like a crow. If they don't have something to eat, they try to create something. They are notorious for gouging the eyes of calves.

Latest posts