Metal spray tank

Help Support CattleToday:

TheLoneRanger

Reaction score
I just bought an old metal spray tank rig. Price was good ($300). The tank is in very good shape, trailer, tires (tires alone worth more than $300, new with stickers still on them when i picked it up.) and pump in good working order. All that is bad is the rubber hoses and the sight tube. Old - 65'. The tank is 250g pull behind on balloon tires. I want to turn in into a boom unit. I know that rust is a problem with steel tanks, i don't want to pull it off and start over with a polly tank. So here is the question. Is there a liner, paint, rubberized paint, fiberglass or something i can line the tank with to deal with the rust problem? I plan on using round-up and 2-4d. I imagine what ever it is it will have to expand and contract with the tank due to temp.

Round Up and some of the other herbicides are corrosive. Most anything I know of to treat the inside if the tank would probably cost as much as a new poly tank.
I would watch craigslist and auctions and try and buy a sprayer with a good tank and needs everything else. I have seen severl people use the chemical transport, "Tote", containers. I think TSC sells a fitting that fits the valve on these containers.

Here's a warning I copied from an MSDS for a particular gly product, though as far as I know it applies to all glyphosate. I know I've seen it many times. Now I don't know the likelihood of this happening, but it may be worth the cost of a plastic tank.

IMPORTANT: ACL GLYPHOSATE 360 and mixtures of should only be stored and applied in plastic or
plastic lined containers, aluminium, brass, copper, stainless steel or fibreglass containers. The contact of
ACL GLYPHOSATE 360 with unlined or galvanised steel may cause a highly flammable gas to form causing
potential explosion if ignited by any ignition source (open flame, etc.)

M.Magis":1sbmtdyu said:
Here's a warning I copied from an MSDS for a particular gly product, though as far as I know it applies to all glyphosate. I know I've seen it many times. Now I don't know the likelihood of this happening, but it may be worth the cost of a plastic tank.

IMPORTANT: ACL GLYPHOSATE 360 and mixtures of should only be stored and applied in plastic or
plastic lined containers, aluminium, brass, copper, stainless steel or fibreglass containers. The contact of
ACL GLYPHOSATE 360 with unlined or galvanised steel may cause a highly flammable gas to form causing
potential explosion if ignited by any ignition source (open flame, etc.)

You should never put any chemical mix into galvanised steel as the reactions can also lead to crop damage.

The gas referred to is hydrogen gas.
There are epoxy liner type compounds that can be out into the tanks but they're cost prohibitive unless you're doing a on off restoration of something.

Do not use Glyphosate (Roundup) in galvanized tanks. Where is a galvanized tank these days? I haven't seen one in 40 years. Stainless steel is fine but plastic is the best buy. Strong. No reaction with any chemical I know about. No rust.

Do not use Glyphosate (Roundup) in galvanized tanks. Where is a galvanized tank these days? I haven't seen one in 40 years. Stainless steel is fine but plastic is the best buy. Strong. No reaction with any chemical I know about. No rust.