Metal pole barn trusses?

Help Support CattleToday:

Go metal. I've been through a lot of hurricanes, ice storms and extreme weather and each time you see more and more wood structures fail and the steel stays. There are really too many reasons to list on why you should go steel. I kinda understand why you owe this guy something but you paid him for work and your the one that has to live with the building.

Signed on a metal truss 40' x 72' this morning. "Should" be started in the next 4 weeks. Price is firm, and can't go up. Some fairly reliable sources told me there would be a 12-15% increase by May 1st.

Metal would be nice and insurance less, but any of them don't stand much chance against a tornado.

Building fell through. There were starting to be some warning signs. If you don't follow the warning signs, you almost always end up somewhere you don't want to be.

Building fell through. There were starting to be some warning signs. If you don't follow the warning signs, you almost always end up somewhere you don't want to be.
From a local place, or one of the national brands that advertises in something like Fastline?

Why doesn't he like building with them? I've never used them, but have been looking at them pretty hard myself for the past few months and they're pretty attractive money and time-wise. I've set plenty of wooden trusses myself and these look like they'd be easier to handle with a smaller crew. Just not sure about setting the purlins up on edge and my ability to hit them with the screws....
Some of the Amish crews in the area stack the metal evenly on the ground and drill holes through the whole stack as guides for where to put screws, the screw lines will be nice and straight that way. Don't know that they're trying to hit 1 1/2" board, but that takes some confidence in your abilities to do that.

Some of the Amish crews in the area stack the metal evenly on the ground and drill holes through the whole stack as guides for where to put screws, the screw lines will be nice and straight that way. Don't know that they're trying to hit 1 1/2" board, but that takes some confidence in your abilities to do that.
A little experience and it's not hard to do.

I've seen that done, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to screw up a whole stack of metal doing so.

I lay them out on a couple sawhorses and mark the hole locations with a pencil using a tape measure and level. Also put the majority of the roof fasteners on the ribs instead of down in the flats like some, seen too many of the latter type leak.

From what I have seen and help do building in my younger day as my dad built several houses, barns etc. We put the metal/wood etc. up and do a chalk line. Much easier than this guess work. Put the metal on, fasten at the top and bottom and then chalk each all the way across. Get a good charged up drill and before you know it your done. Each screw is right on the money all the way across. Those self tapping screws go right in. My house was built in less than 6 weeks with very little labor and my dad got the materials less than listed as in a way I wish I had build bigger and now I wish I had littler.

My cousin next door is having a 40x64x16 pole barn shop built as we speak. I've never met the crew, but he said it's 4 Mennonite guys working on it. They've had some delays due to weather, but I'm betting they're done in 5 full business days including concrete and doors. Will update when they're done just for grins.

I built a 40x64x14 myself back in 2013, took me 3-1/2 months start to finish not including concrete. But that included hay season, hunting trip, etc. A contractor, I ain't......

Here is a barn I finished about 12 mths ago. It is all steel construction as are about 99% of sheds built in Australia. This one was in a kit and it went together very well. I have also built other sheds to my own design out of all steel with a bit of a saving but not as much as you would think. This barn is going to be my daughters horse barn so we wanted to get certification from the local authority and needed the drawings along with the engineers calculations and certificate for the wind rating where we are and it is a lot cheaper to get the off the shelf kit which comes with all this information ready to submit to council. They are very strong and can be rated to build in cyclone areas. I do feel the all steel sheds do lack a bit of character though compared to those with a bit of timber framing. I have started fitting out one side for stables, there will be 4 boxes down that side, centre alleyway then tack room, feed room, hosing bay down the other side. I am using all hardwood timber that I am milling myself from our place using a bit oversize for the posts etc to give it a bit of character, mortice and tenon joints for character and strength. I'm milling spotted gum, yellow box and yellow stringy bark for the panel planks.
The actual building is C section for uprights and rafters then tophat section spanning the 4 metres, very easy building.
Ken
View attachment 3011View attachment 3012View attachment 3013View attachment 3014
How much did that kit cost you ?

How much did that kit cost you ?
I think it was around $23,000, that was about 4 years ago so would be more now of course, covid you know.
I have just completed another shed next to it to house my wife's toys, horse truck, caravan, skidsteer and little JD tractor plus her zero turn battery mower. At least I get my sheds back again. This one I just bought the materials and built it to my own design, the materials were around $17,000. It is a simple skillion roof and is 16m x8m. The other shed is 16m x12m. I'll get some photos of them tomorrow, they look good side by side.

Ken

I think it was around $23,000, that was about 4 years ago so would be more now of course, covid you know.
I have just completed another shed next to it to house my wife's toys, horse truck, caravan, skidsteer and little JD tractor plus her zero turn battery mower. At least I get my sheds back again. This one I just bought the materials and built it to my own design, the materials were around $17,000. It is a simple skillion roof and is 16m x8m. The other shed is 16m x12m. I'll get some photos of them tomorrow, they look good side by side.

Ken
Here are some photos of Pam's new shed I just finished building last week.

I think I might leave her up there for an hour or two. Pam does some pretty crazy things for a 71 yr old. She somehow got herself up there on a very unstable step ladder that didn't go right to the top and then couldn't get down. I got a phone call with asking very nicely to get her down.

The stables are mostly finished now, all the timber I milled from trees on our place.P1030583.JPGP1030591.JPGP1030586.JPGP1030588.JPGP1030583.JPGP1030591.JPG
P1030586.JPGIP1030588.JPG

Latest posts