Metal or wood corral

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
We are getting ready to build our corral and was wondering which would be better Metal or wood? Metals problems are weather changes breaking welds, rusting and breaking of pipes, ect. Wood problems are rotting post, more esily to break, ect. And this is something that has to be built on a budget so the best of the best is not an option. Are there any tricks of what has worked for you guys with years of expenence. Any and all advice would be welcomed including height with of shoot, ect. We have about 100 head of cattle.

Thanks

Width of race is 28" inside diameter, 5' high.

You can never have too many corrals to sort into after the crush/headgate.

Forgot to mention if you AI, make a seperate branch for AI so that they don't have to go through a chute or head gate, same applies for your scales. I AI where my scales is and the head gate is in another branch of the race.

Before everything is graven in stone (and set in concrete) use your setup a couple of times even if it's just to mess around a little with the cows to see how everything works. Once it's finalized if you find something you want different it's pretty much too late. Continuous fence from some place like GoBob or even heavy duty (or if your cows are calm) medium weight corral panels work for getting things right

I have both pipe and wood . I like the wood better because its not as rough on the cows . it gives a little when a cow hits it . we put new cross ties on 6 foot centers the boards are rough cut oak . I spray used oil on them when I change the oil in the trucks tractors. etc. gates are all pipe . might try to help someone to work cows with that has both types of pens and see what u like .

dimestorecowboy":39wd1o96 said:
I have both pipe and wood . I like the wood better because its not as rough on the cows . it gives a little when a cow hits it . we put new cross ties on 6 foot centers the boards are rough cut oak . I spray used oil on them when I change the oil in the trucks tractors. etc. gates are all pipe . might try to help someone to work cows with that has both types of pens and see what u like .

Best advice so far, more importantly to see what doesn't work!

We are currently switching from wood to metal.
The only thing I see about the metal I don't like is we are losing the wind breaks that the wooden planks provide.

go with a steel corral hands down.build your corral 6ft tall.the steel corral will last forever if built right.my corral is almost 20yrs old,an theres nothing wrong with it.if you go with wood the cows will bust boards over time.an youll be doing alot of repairs on it.plus rebuilding the corral every 15yrs or so.go with 2 7/8 an 2 3/8s pipe.an put your post 8ft a part an put the 1 inch sq tubing every 4ft.an use 16ft 52in wire cattle panels insted of sucker rod for the fences.because over time the welds on the sucker rods will break.

I suggest using steel guard rail on rr tie posts. The guard rail gives you the benefits of steel but the opacity of wood boards. But buy real guard rail not the light weight immitation and put rr tie posts every 6'-3" to Match std hole spacing on rails. Makes life much easier. Good luck. Jim

Douglas":3hgvyfis said:
How would you guys change your recommendation for a backgrounder handling calves only up to say 650-700 lbs?
If they were F1 Brahman cross---Pipe.
But then a nut case is still a nut case no matter what they weigh.

Metal without a doubt. Cows or calves. Cut gates, medina gates, side pens, sweeps, tub out of a medina entering a 28 inch chute. Stop gates. Loading chute.

100 head may not seem like a whole lot of cows but you need to get them taken care of year after year.

Center the unit such that when you change pastures they go thru the alley. Run them thru it often without working them.

KNERSIE":3urx2clh said:
dimestorecowboy":3urx2clh said:

Best advice so far, more importantly to see what doesn't work!
Apparently my brain wasn't working as fast as my fingers this morning . Lol

Douglas":lloukrws said:
How would you guys change your recommendation for a backgrounder handling calves only up to say 650-700 lbs?

650-700 lb calves have a lot of energy and a lot stronger than you are. I would still go guard rail.

One thing about cattle is that you need to have some way and facilities to work them whether you have 5 or 50 or 500.

In any corral I feel it is important to limit sight lines and make the walls as opaque as possible. On mine even where I have steel pipe gates I have found it much easier to work cattle and they stay calmer since I wired 1/4" plywood painted a light tan color to the inside of the gates. Jim

Started with 3 board Holstein corral. Did not work so good.
Stapled metal corral panels onto the Holstein corral. Did just fine till it got rotten.
Built a new corral from 4 planks of white oak onto RR ties. It will outlast me.

Metal is nice, but unless you are a 25 year old welder it is over the top.

if you go with pipe; go with new stuff; if not, you may end up down the road with more maintenance than a wooden setup....the guard rail sounds like a pretty good idea..........

Douglas wrote:

I'd make a V shaped race, otherwise exactly the same.

KNERSIE":9hmdkypm said:
Douglas wrote:

I'd make a V shaped race, otherwise exactly the same.

You will get a few who will turn around in the chute/race. Not a big deal if you don't need to do head work.
Mine is not a V... It ain't pretty, but I have lined the chute with pallets to work calves.

Latest posts