metal eartag?

Help Support CattleToday:

Castleman Creek

Reaction score
Hello, :D
I bought a Holstein bull calf with a USDA metal ear tag. My question is, should I take this out or not?

Thank You
Billy ;-)

Hook":1v3531rh said:
Leave it. It's a bangs vaccination tag
Bull calves rarely get bangs tags.
Leave it in. The metal tag is all part of the identification system. Everything going through the sale barn that doesn;t have a permanent id gets one now.

Hook":1ydmr0h0 said:
M5farm":1ydmr0h0 said:
Hook":1ydmr0h0 said:
Learned something else. Thanks dun

Premise ID tag.
Not required under 3 yo here
Here it's about anything other then bottle calves. But I've seen a few of them that have the tags too. Don;t know where they came from.

M5farm":1fhqdidb said:
Not required but not forbidden . You will see people start tagging everything. The tags are free.
Yea and some times the tag tool is free too. I'm still not really clear on this " new regulation".

Hook":32cxtrfy said:
M5farm":32cxtrfy said:
Hook":32cxtrfy said:
Learned something else. Thanks dun

Premise ID tag.
Not required under 3 yo here

I'd tag a calf every time before I'd tag a three year old.
It's the only realistic way to go with those bulky NAIT tags ours now have to wear. I did the whole herd two years before it became law (had to replace all the management tags at the time anyway) and concluded that day that the taggers were not designed for the thicker skin of an adult cow.

What do these metal tags look like? Been seeing steel (Britain) and brass tags in cattle for the last twenty years but just a little clip with numbers etched on it, not like the big plastic flaps or buttons.

The tag looks like it might be an aluminum one but not to sure on that, a strip folded over with numbers stamped.
Thanks
Billy

After the mad cow disease ruckus (Holstein cattle), all dairy cattle are required to have an ID tag whether it is a male or female. We used the USDA free tag when we get a bull calf born that we plan to sell.
Leave it in.

Latest posts