Metal corral made with Drill stem or panels

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
I got a good deal on some galvanized panels, but I also got a good deal on some drill steam pipe as well. Post are not an issue because will brace it the same way with either product. Option #1 10' galvanized panels. Have post in concrete and also a small concrete pad to keep panels from eventually rusting out.

Option #2. Do 4 runners of drill stem pipe and then weld and attach cattle panels to them. Pipe to be set in concrete same as galvanized panels situation.

I will be using 2 3/8 pipe for post. Post in main traffice areas every 5 - 6 feet.

I have to decide pretty quick.

Thanks for all your responces.

Bubba

P.s I live panels for laying out corral before making it permanent, But drill stem would be a little cheaper.

I work with option #1 with the panels. I have multiple lease pastures that do not have pens on them so it is easy to move the panels. I have a working chute at the 2 big pastures and have the post concreted for easy panel placement and anchoring. I can increase or decrease my pen size based on the number of head I have to catch. One good thing about the panels is that you get to see what works, what doesn't and what you do or don't like before you build. Now after a couple of years using them and as time allows I am going to start installing drill stem and sucker rod.

Big questions is how your cows act when they are inside the panels (can become expensive to replace panels.)

They normally act pretty well. In the areas where I am really going to start crowding them, I am going to use extra post for braces. If Panels are 10' and post is every 5', I think it will be diffucult for them to push through.

Where are you going to install drill stems and sucker rods? On the panels to strengthen them? By the way this will be a permanent setup.

stockbub":141kju6x said:
Where are you going to install drill stems and sucker rods? On the panels to strengthen them? By the way this will be a permanent setup.

After using the panels and Tee post for about 3 years, I have found where I want my permanent setup. So my post are on 10' centers with clips welded on to attach panels. The drill stem and sucker rods are going to replace the panels now that I know what I want. So I will be switching to your #2 option. Less work moving the panels and I know my pens work like I want them to.

I built mine in an octagon squezzing down to the race, chute and head gate. It has six12' gates and you are always behind a gate pushing the cattle out of the holding area to a crowding area then down the race. It also has a gate in the race to cut one back out to the holding area in the event one got in the race you didn't want. Two of the gates divide the pen making a holding and crowding area. It also has another holding pen to separate cow calf. The pen has six 12' gates total and each gate opens and closes to cover another gate. I found the design out of the Univ of Ontario I believe and modified it.

Do you have any pics or drawing of your corral? Where the cattle panels hit (4" x 4" squares), how do you strengthen them to not push out there?

I really thought someone would have liked Option 1 better. Galvanized 5' tall 10' long panels, then a post then another panel. Chain each of these panels to the post. Set concrete so the feet of the panel is not in the mud and wala. Also like others have sadi can put pane;s together and see if you like them , then set post. Would also love to see pics or sketches of others carrals?

My 4 by 4 grid panels are 5 foot tall and welded to the posts and rails. (top bottom and mid rail) I use 7018 rod and hold the heat onto the steel posts. Get some good penetration on the heavy metal and jump over to the galvanized then back. It holds and holds good.

TXCATTLEDUDE, why not mound permanent post where you had the T post, since you have the panels already?

STOCKBUB, the T post were just temp until I figuered out how I wanted the permanent post. Drilling holes and pouring concrete started this weekend.

Latest posts