Metal building vs Wood building

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What is your preference when it comes to lets say a 40x40 shop/barn/equipment shed ? I have mixed feelings on both and will take either. The major advantage I like in metal is no termites. I think insulating the wood buildings comes easier.

I know that I am a gal......but I do have a preference when it comes to buildings.
For shop and equipment, I like metal. Longevity, fire safety, cleaning, ect.
For livestock, (cattle AND horses) I like a combination of wood and metal. I have lined metal buildings with wood to prevent cuts and animals causing dents. With my horses, exposed wood posts just don't work if they start chewing.
You can't beat the beauty and character of all wood though!!
Just my thoughts, for what their worth.

skyhightree1":h1mvseyw said:
What is your preference when it comes to lets say a 40x40 shop/barn/equipment shed ? I have mixed feelings on both and will take either. The major advantage I like in metal is no termites. I think insulating the wood buildings comes easier.

I priced a big steel building, once, and the contractor told me he had so much in concrete that he wasn't competive on that size building. Half truth, and half I think he didn't want to bid an ag project. The market for post frame barns is very competitive. Wood has the advantage on $/sq ft, but steel is going to last forever. Your Call.

I like steel but the cost is more than I am willing to pay. My barn is very crude but it's built out of wood, and we sawed most of it ourselves.
Ended up with less than $2.00 a foot in it, and it's a 60x80x24' inside.

How many steel buildings have you seen falling down and dilapidated in a field?

if cost is not an issue metal is better. Any interior finish installed on a wood barn can be installed on a metal barn. When you say "metal" do you mean metal structure or metal siding? Even with steel structure a slab is not necessary to build the barn. Footings at each column are all that are initially needed. Metal barns can be insulated as easy as wooden barns. With all that being said, I built a wood (pole barn) with metal siding. 56x64. 4 enclosed rooms, feed room, tool room, loft, and a bathroom. I store 50 round bales, 2 tractors and a bobcat, and a lot of junk.

hooknline":14sl2duk said:
How many steel buildings have you seen falling down and dilapidated in a field?

Excellent post brother hook

xbred":14sl2duk said:
if cost is not an issue metal is better. Any interior finish installed on a wood barn can be installed on a metal barn. When you say "metal" do you mean metal structure or metal siding? Even with steel structure a slab is not necessary to build the barn. Footings at each column are all that are initially needed. Metal barns can be insulated as easy as wooden barns. With all that being said, I built a wood (pole barn) with metal siding. 56x64. 4 enclosed rooms, feed room, tool room, loft, and a bathroom. I store 50 round bales, 2 tractors and a bobcat, and a lot of junk.

I mean completely metal frame walls and roof.

hands down , metal, over time a wood barn will develope leaks ,which will result in rotting truss or sheeting . it will sweat on the underside , which will be bad on the sheeting boards, steel will cost more , but will last more than a lifetime ,

skyhightree1":1nagaimo said:
Nice looking building CB I havent seen one with that shape before what size is that?

It is 30 X 36 had the trusses built.
It rode out Rita and Ike . We took a direct hit on Rita and had over 100 mph winds here.

Caustic Burno":1b1nwvmd said:
skyhightree1":1b1nwvmd said:
Nice looking building CB I havent seen one with that shape before what size is that?

It is 30 X 36 had the trusses built.
It rode out Rita and Ike . We took a direct hit on Rita and had over 100 mph winds here.

Very nice.. What wind strength was it rated for?

I have been in the steel building business for 10 years. A good rule of thumb for estimating steel building project costs is:
- 1/3 materials
- 1/3 concrete
- 1/3 erection

Also a good sqft budget rule of thumb is:
$4-6 /sqft for building materials
$3-5 /sqft for concrete
$3-6 / sqft for erection

Hope this helps!

Most shops and barns here are pole barns. Wood everything with metal sheeting. I think a all wood, would look best. But not a forever barn, however one of my nicest curing barns was built in 56. We replaced the sheeting on weather side 2 years ago. Steel would outlast everything.

Steel buildings and carports for equipment have been saving me a lot of time/money... I decided no more wood big buildings only steel from this point on but will continue to do small sheds out of wood. Downside to the metal buildings though is there hot as crap in the summer. I love the way old wood barns look or board and batten barns look but these days I need durability more than appearance.

polledbull":gp3xtixc said:
hands down , metal, over time a wood barn will develope leaks ,which will result in rotting truss or sheeting . it will sweat on the underside , which will be bad on the sheeting boards, steel will cost more , but will last more than a lifetime ,

Why would a pole building with metal roof leak more than a steel building with metal roof? Do people want metal buildings so they can allow the roof to leak? Seems you would just want to keep your roof from leaking, like on a house made of wood.

In 1996, I bought this place with a pole building barn that was built in 1974. I'm just wondering when I should expect it to collapse. And what would cause it to collapse? What is the cause of all the pole buildings not lasting, assuming you have a good roof?

djinwa":299ri4n4 said:
polledbull":299ri4n4 said:

Why would a pole building with metal roof leak more than a steel building with metal roof? Do people want metal buildings so they can allow the roof to leak? Seems you would just want to keep your roof from leaking, like on a house made of wood.

In 1996, I bought this place with a pole building barn that was built in 1974. I'm just wondering when I should expect it to collapse. And what would cause it to collapse? What is the cause of all the pole buildings not lasting, assuming you have a good roof?
I think he's saying that in both metal and wooden truss buildings that IF a leak develops in the roof, failure is more likely in wood because the metal truss roof won't rot. Steel will rust but not at the same rate wood will rot, and most rust due to leakage is going to be superfluous surface rust. Steel is usually coated or painted and wood trusses are not always PT lumber since it's going to be covered by the sheet metal.

Latest posts