Met the Neighbor

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
On the back side of one of our places they divided it into 15ac tracks a few year back.

Not sure if any one remembers a story about a neighbor who had cattle get on our place while he was on vacation, then chewed me out for being too rough with his cattle... Come to find out he also had some dogs that he could not control and told the neighbors to just shoot them if they cause problems... :shock:

Well this person got re-located with their job... :banana: :wave: .Good news!

Yesterday, I went out to burn a few brush piles since it has been raining every day for the last week. I pour diesel all over the piles, squirt a little gas, and start dropping matches. Before I could make it back to my truck I hear another truck crank up. I see the truck heading my way so I walk to the fence. The people drive up, stop about 40yds from the fence, out steps a lady in flip flops and yells....." Are you aware there are house right up here?"........ :x

I respond "Yes mam".......... pause........... ( andI am thinking, you have been here for how long?)

her: "Well are you going to stay with those until they are totally burned out?"

me: "No mam, I will be around for a little bit but it looks like its about to rain again."........ pause...............

She mumbled some thing as she jumped back into the truck.

I waved and said "It was good to meet you."

I understand their concern, but there are alot better ways to handle that stuff. So another words... we got rid of one problem and gained another. This is going to be interesting... AND people wonder why land owners hate when places get divided up like that. :x Sorry but this stuff just rubs me wrong.....

I am sure she had what she thought were legitimate worries, but really, if the ground is damp, she needn't. There were better ways for the two of you to meet. My neighbor did catch his pasture on fire on the 2nd and it was very near to getting on our place. It is a lot dryer here, though. He was burning brush and before we knew it, there was a grass fire. Fire department came out and helped.

if the brush pile were on yer prop tell her to mind her own biz...less ya wanna chip in for fuel dont tell me how to use it..now get offa my prop before ya cant!

Brute, ya gotta love people that move to the country and arean't willing to accept the fact that 1) they weren't here first, 2) people burn things out here, and 3) animals can be noisy and smelly.

Next think you know, she'll want a Starbucks and Homo Depot in the neighborhood. You think I'm joking?

For me it was the other way around. After the 4th I found spent fireworks all over my dry pasture. At another pasture I could not find my calves I was weaning. Finally found them three pastures over. Again I found spent fireworks in the weaning pasture.

novatech":1r805nfr said:
For me it was the other way around. After the 4th I found spent fireworks all over my dry pasture. At another pasture I could not find my calves I was weaning. Finally found them three pastures over. Again I found spent fireworks in the weaning pasture.

had the same probs...whatta ya gonna do? one day a yr i can handle. i did the note thing bout his barkin dogs though...aint heard em since. i dont know how he keeps em quiet now cuz we dont really talk but they aint barkin so im happy

thats cityslickers for you.think they can move to the country an tell their cattlemen neighbors what they can an cant do on their own place.i hope none of my family gets dumb enough to sell any land to outsiders.our family owns about 1500acs more or less.only 1 family membefr sold his house to an outsider.an the guy is a pain the backside.had the guts to ask us to sell him some land.i hitt the roof.no way in heck am i going to sell him 1ft of land.he got wint of a 30in crude oil pipeline thinking about coming through our place.an thought he could steal some land.an pay for it when the pipeline goes accross it.we told him nothing was for sale never ask again.

novatech":1swarssb said:

I can relate. We stayed around to watch the fireworks around us this 4th. Not necessarily because of the show, but because the neighbors might set me on fire. I had my son run out and stamp out three little fires that started right next to the house. If we had been away or asleep, Lord knows what might have happened.

We have a very good relationship with our city slicker neighbors. They moved from California where he was a homicide cop and she worked for DHS. Sometimes we'll be working with the cows really early in the morning and I was concerned about all the bellering. They said it was better than gunshots!
Lately our personal experiences have been coming from no good @#$%^ fellow farmers backstabbing, lying, cheating, etc.... :mad: :mad:

Angus/Brangus":1ltzqvis said:
Then there's the neighbor who decides to burn about 20 old round bales. Guess which way the wind was blowing that day? :mad: :help: Guess how long a round bale smoulders?

Well, a 3x3x8 square bale will smolder anywhere from 1-3 days - depending on its placement, what else is being burned, and its size. I have no experience with round bales, but I believe they are a fair bit larger than the above mentioned bales we recently burned. So, I'm guessing roughly a week - give or take a day or two. Am I close?

Latest posts