Mental Problem with cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

rkm":2de5r7k3 said:
The trouble with these loony cows, they spook other cows when you are trying to work them. I just sold a crazy limo a couple weeks ago, even though we had her locked in the barn and she couldn't escape she ruined 3 good gates loading her.

I don't mind telling you it was scary. And yes, she raised the best durn calf every year. But she made it hard to handle the other cattle.

This is true!! I have seen too many people keep a cow around because "she raises a darn good calf" every year. One of our friends runs Maine/Angus cross, and this spring they had to tag almost every calf in the bed of the truck, and even some up on top of the cab, with mama trying to climb up there with them. Life is too short, and it doesn't really matter what kind of calf she raises if you're in the hospital, or dead!!

We've had our share of nasties, and they don't last long. Usually only 1 calving season, we let them raise the calf, then they go down the road. Only had one that made it 2 years and that was only because BSE and there was nowhere to take her. She was worse the 3rd year, and by then the market had opened up enough to send her on, straight to the packing plant. God, I hate having to watch over my shoulder constantly when I'm out in the herd.

Brings back memories of our old Black Angus number 135, she could clear an 8' wall with the grace of a deer. She ended up meeting up with a 165grain 7.62mm round to the head. Her calves are some of our best cows now. Great cow and mother just nuts.

I bought 3 limi cross stockers in a group. One went nuts and fatally injured himself in the chute during processing, a second one ran back over my uncle, through two wooden hay bunks and under a gate, the third one was very nervous but you could herd it. I think I know why they were in the sales barn.

I also bought a Charlois feeder that made two attempts to clear a 6' corral panel in the holding pen. The second time she was hung up - - so I walked over, cranked her on the head with the sorting paddle and said NO in my best dog training voice. She backed off, looked at me, went on into the squeeze chute, and never tried the corral panels again. Obviously a lot smarter than the limis but I still made a date with the locker plant.

I've been meaning to post this for the last few days. It is part of an interesting article in an old vet book that I have. Veterinary Guide for Farmers by G.W. Stamm printed in 1953.

Milk Fever

Symptoms

Contrary to its name, fever is not one of the symptoms of the disease.
Early symptoms usually begin between 12 hours and 4 days after calving. They are of two kinds. The animal may show signs of excitement, get a wild look in its eyes, swithch its tail, tremble, weaken and stagger. Or it may become depressed, refuse food and not want to move about.
In either case, the first symptoms are followed shortly by collapse and loss of conciousness. The animal lies with its head turned to one side, the eyes are dull and expressionless, the muzzle dry and the temperature usually below normal.
The most frequent complication of the disease is pnemonia. This is often brought about when the animal inhales portions of its cud while laying down.

've been meaning to post this for the last few days. It is part of an interesting article in an old vet book that I have. Veterinary Guide for Farmers by G.W. Stamm printed in 1953.

Milk Fever

Symptoms

Contrary to its name, fever is not one of the symptoms of the disease.
Early symptoms usually begin between 12 hours and 4 days after calving. They are of two kinds. The animal may show signs of excitement, get a wild look in its eyes, swithch its tail, tremble, weaken and stagger. Or it may become depressed, refuse food and not want to move about.
In either case, the first symptoms are followed shortly by collapse and loss of conciousness. The animal lies with its head turned to one side, the eyes are dull and expressionless, the muzzle dry and the temperature usually below normal.
The most frequent complication of the disease is pnemonia. This is often brought about when the animal inhales portions of its cud while laying down.

This reminded me of the two cows we had that got lead poisoning. We started treating for milk fever but nothing worked. Next phase was kind of like the first post. The cows went totally nuts and tore-up 3 2" oak stalls in the barn and then dropped dead. Posted them and sent livers to state lab for testing. Turns out that someone dumped paint cans in our stalk field. This was about 30yr ago.

Angus Guy":1yqp3aus said:
The cows went totally nuts and tore-up 3 2" oak stalls in the barn and then dropped dead. Posted them and sent livers to state lab for testing. Turns out that someone dumped paint cans in our stalk field. This was about 30yr ago.

Wow, I didn't realize that that could happen with lead poisoning. I guess the only lead poisoning I have ever seen was in calves though. Old batteries are terrible. We keep them cleaned up, but I know several guys that have lost calves to them.

randiliana":3p4uulk8 said:
Angus Guy":3p4uulk8 said:
The cows went totally nuts and tore-up 3 2" oak stalls in the barn and then dropped dead. Posted them and sent livers to state lab for testing. Turns out that someone dumped paint cans in our stalk field. This was about 30yr ago.

Wow, I didn't realize that that could happen with lead poisoning. I guess the only lead poisoning I have ever seen was in calves though. Old batteries are terrible. We keep them cleaned up, but I know several guys that have lost calves to them.

:eek: How in the world do they get to the lead in a battery?
i don't see how they could chew thru a case.

KenB":1bnhzpvi said:

They chew on the posts, and lick them. And of course there are some that are broken, or they tip them over or stomp on them. Its like a game to them ;-)

KenB":128clpb3 said:

When we moved to this place, I found several "dump" locations, and in one of these locations were some very old batteries, so old that most of the cases were gone and the lead innards were loose and some scattered around the old batteries.

I have no idea whether or not the cows/calves that were on the place prevoisly ever got into them (they had complete access to these dump sites), but I gathered up the old batteries anyhow, along with a goodly amount of scrap copper and aluminum. Was well worth it, I hauled it to town and recieved $113.00 for the stuff. Back then old batteries (cases or no cases) brought .50 cent a piece.

Katherine

Latest posts