Members leaving CT

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Not just Vicky the Vet. There has been a lot of good members and contributors that have come and gone. Why?
They just get tired of it? You got to be thick skinned, because there is a lot of crap goes on. :cowboy:
Seems to me that the members that have been here for a while are here mostly for entertainment, and that's good. You won't last if you take it to seriously.
There's always good information. Ask a question and you will likely get ten answers, going in every direction. Doesn't mean somebody is wrong [although they could be] :lol2:
IMO you got to either ignore something you disagree with or get in an argument. [I lean toward argument] :frowns: :welcome:
I think however, the smart thing to do is ignore, but certainly not the most entertaining. :cowboy:

So what do Y'all think are the reasons people leave?

theres a few reasons why people leave CT.some leave because they dont want to get flamed for posting to a q.or get flamed for asking a q.theres alot of great people here.but theres also people here that like to start trouble.people leave because they dont like when tempers flair.an yes you need tobe thickskinned tobe here.but personally i think people leave because theyve had people be rude to them.

I don't doubt some people have been run off by attacks, but I think some people just don't enjoy an internet discussion board. They may post a question and be grateful for the response, but aren't interested in "chatting" online with people they don't know.

We have lost some good people, but it seems we new ones every day. :D

Frankie":27p17uug said:
They may post a question and be grateful for the response, but aren't interested in "chatting" online with people they don't know.

:D
That is just what I did on Pond Boss. I asked a question on here about fish and a kind member directed me there. I found the Q&A board and asked my question, got my answer and left. No long goodbys I just wasnt there anymore. I dought thet miss me though :lol: Mac

I'm sure there are a few reasons folk decide to leave besides getting run off. This board seems to go through cycles. Right now there have been lots of "rate my cow/bull" pics posted (BTW I enjoy seeing those pics... especially the herefords ). Awhile ago it seemed like every other post was getting highjacked. A few years back there was a group of guys that liked to gang up on someone, I refered to them as the possee... if you crossed one you crossed them all. I know in my case, I get bored at times, I've been here since 04.... How many times do I need to read post about calf not nursing or my cow is down what do I do? I'm far from saying I know all there is to cattle (in fact I know very little) it's can just be repetitive. I know for a fact that many great cattle folk lurk on CT. Some members don't post public any more they lurk and PM. I spend much of my time lurking and not posting any more, I learn as much that way or I'll do a search on my question. Just as a side note, two of the many great things about this board. First is when I learned that Caustic Bueno (sp) was an alter ego of a couple of poster, it was like a super ending to my favorite show... glad to see he is still around. He has made me as "nervous as a grasshopper in a chicken coop" at times. Just running on and my two cents,
Alan

If you pay attention close enough and figure out who is who and who used to be who, it can be very entertaining. Most of the time I'm just lost though. I don't know how you keep it straight and most of the "intrigue" just goes over my head. So far I keep coming back because I don't know any other people who are as obsessed with cows as I am. My friends and family certainly aren't. If they were, I wouldn't have a need to come here.

I think what? got booted. He seems to have disappeared from the site. He reminds me of somn and a few others in between. Vanc seems to keep up with peoples aliases pretty well.

Walt

Some folks probably just lose interest and others might get busy for a spell and just not be around as much. I'm sure the folks up north have a bit more time at the computer in teh winter months than in the warmer weather. I know I never check CT on weekends....just a policy I made for "us". It is a fun place to visit and try to learn as well as help when possible.

I think the amount of people on the board ebbs and flows with the seasons. Then you got people's schedules tied to the seasons as well. So I think a lot of it has to do with what's going on in their lives. I agree that there have been some rude people from time to time but I don't know how many, if any, these characters have run off. I doubt I'll be leaving anytime soon. At least, not until John pays the preacher and he gets some rain. ;-)

Jogeephus":20aeyfbz said:
I think the amount of people on the board ebbs and flows with the seasons. Then you got people's schedules tied to the seasons as well. So I think a lot of it has to do with what's going on in their lives. I agree that there have been some rude people from time to time but I don't know how many, if any, these characters have run off. I doubt I'll be leaving anytime soon. At least, not until John pays the preacher and he gets some rain. ;-)
Jo tell the truth your not leaving until you get everyone on here to invest in the Imbalancers then your gonna run off and hide with all our money :banana:

Angus Cowman":24fu4bbc said:
Jogeephus":24fu4bbc said:
Jo tell the truth your not leaving until you get everyone on here to invest in the Imbalancers then your gonna run off and hide with all our money :banana:

Surely you jest. You know full well its a sound investment. At $50 a straw I'm almost giving it a way just to help you folks out cause ya'll deserve it. You know full well the Imbalancers can reduce your calf size by as much as 50% and can increase your weaning weights by as much as 100%. I'd be willing to bet your last dollar on it. :banana:

BTW - do you remember the pic of the Imbalancer? You should see its calf! Undoubtedly her genetics was so poor she had nothing to give to the calf other than her milk and the calf got everything from the bull. She has an extraodinary calf. I'll have to post a pic of it so ya'll can tell me how sorry it is. ;-)

Txwalt":2n2ij1yt said:
I think what? got booted. He seems to have disappeared from the site. He reminds me of somn and a few others in between. Vanc seems to keep up with peoples aliases pretty well.

Walt

You don't want those arrogant somn like people who constantly throw real cattle numbers at you.

This used to be a board of thick skinned cattle operators. Very few holds barred.

Now a cess pool for whiners, and "wanna join a chat online club" losers.

It would be fun to see the money numbers on what a site like this generates.

I have not been registered here for too long. I have enjoyed the pictures and learned a lot here. I have been puzzled recently by ther reduction in what seem to me to be real and interesting, thoughtfuil or thought provoking posts. Maybe it's just a seasonal thing. Maybe it's a natural ebb and flow.

The problem with a lot of "lurkers" just lurking and not posting is that it reduces the possibility of interesting new posts. If only the same few folks post comments or pictures then the comversation tends to be more limited.

It seems to me that there needs to be an environment where anyone with an interest in cattle can post a question comment or pictures without getting flamed. Some folks even with cattle don't have as tough a hide as others.

So I would hereby like to encourage "lurkers" to be contributors and posters of responses and new top level posts. I know that suggestions made to me by Knersie, Angie, Dun and many others have helped me enormously as I have slowly begun a new herd and direct sale all Hereford natural beef operation. Jim

I'm more of a lurker than anything, since I really don't have any questions or anything to contribute to this forum, I more or less just do reading any interesting stuff that catches my interest when I log on. Still don't stop learning from here though.

It is fun though to read them posts from folks like what? or TTCLM or TopHand or whoever is being the latest BSer on here. Makes for quite the entertainment. :D

IluvABbeef":w5ylwbnd said:
I'm more of a lurker than anything, since I really don't have any questions or anything to contribute to this forum, I more or less just do reading any interesting stuff that catches my interest when I log on. Still don't stop learning from here though.

It is fun though to read them posts from folks like what? or TTCLM or TopHand or whoever is being the latest BSer on here. Makes for quite the entertainment. :D

You average 2.73 posts per day. Thats not a lurker. I wonder what the highest is? I know we have some around the 6 mark though. I think mine is above a 2 and I don't know anything about cattle.

Walt

One I know talks to me about this forum at times. He says he can no longer log in and doesn't know why. He had only posted about a dozen posts. His wife can still post.

I've become more of a lurker than poster.

I use to post a lot more but I decided that as a registered breeder it was not in my best interest. My opinions about what direction Hereford breeders need to focus on, can cause the appearance of advertising. I may create heated debates that offends people with different ideals for breed direction. That is part of the reason I believe that many of your big name producers do not post on cattle today. What do they have to gain and why would they want to expose their future plans? :?:. . Many don't want the flack or exposure that they might recieve because it may hurt their business, especially if they already have a good reputation and customer base.

For example : I like information and believe that a cattle producer must have data to back up their statements, I suppose that makes me somewhat of a numbers man. :???: .

I believe that I may name one of my bulls ( LFF Mr. Numbers) someday. :lol:.

I am not looking only at numbers instead of phenotype, however others that do not have the numbers may be tempted to say so. If that where the case then they, to some degree, would discredit my operation, possibly to their advantage. It's a dog eat dog world in many ways and in the registered business you can quickly find that out. That can make it difficult to be a poster on a discussion board. I wish that we had the knowledge of well known registered breeders, being posted but I do not see it ever happening.

I would like to thank the experienced commercial posters that have and continue to shared their knowledge. It is every bit as important, if not more, to the cattle board because when it is all said and done it boils down to producing meat for the table.

LFF

I think it's just different personalities. Some like to talk, some not so much.
As you can see from my post count I'm just a lurker. I check the boards most everyday except for the weekends.

I've always gone by the philosophy that you can learn more by listening than you can by talking. It doesn't take long while you're reading through the posts on here to figure out who knows what they're talking about, and who is just full of themselves :)

You're all a good bunch though. I do enjoy reading everyones opinions.

I'll go back to my corner now :)

IluvABbeef":2sewtzou said:

Better a lurker than a snurker. I disagree about your not having anything to contribute. To me hearing how others do things in other parts of the country is interesting. (If everyone lurked I'd have to play Escrabble and I refuse to do that. ;-) ) While other methods may not work for me there are elements that might. It gives gives you food for thought and lets you back up and look at things from different angles. Just as someone once posted, "its hard to look at the picture when you are in it". Lot of truth in that yet a few people don't get this. Some think their way is the only way. Its kinda like an old saying we have, "there are those who know, those who know they don't know, and those who don't know they don't know". The latter group makes wonderful snurkers as they lurk and snipe at peoples posts with negative personal remarks and boasts of their omnipotence. But like you say, these do make for some humorous entertainment when they trip over their words. :lol2:

Latest posts