Members leaving CT

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef":2pel26cy said:
It is fun though to read them posts from folks like what? or TTCLM or TopHand or whoever is being the latest BSer on here. Makes for quite the entertainment. :D

Don't forget Matt or one of his many alias's.... he may have committed suicide again :roll:

Alan :cboy:

LFF":m0qt4fgo said:
I use to post a lot more but I decided that as a registered breeder it was not in my best interest. My opinions about what direction Hereford breeders need to focus on, can cause the appearance of advertising. I may create heated debates that offends people with different ideals for breed direction. That is part of the reason I believe that many of your big name producers do not post on cattle today. What do they have to gain and why would they want to expose their future plans? :?:. . Many don't want the flack or exposure that they might recieve because it may hurt their business, especially if they already have a good reputation and customer base.
LFF

Very good point, you never know who is lurking.
Alan

Lots of good responses and I think Y'all got it figured out.

I think that those controversial type characters have little effect on you regular posters that have been at this for a while. They simply aren't a match of your wit and cattle knowledge.
I can see how they may cause lurkers to lurk, instead of sharing their knowledge and thoughts. And for new posters to post a few times then shy away.
That's a shame, and I hope we get some new blood with this thread. :D
And for sure keep all the old hands. :cowboy:

Alan":3g7qji0z said:
IluvABbeef":3g7qji0z said:
It is fun though to read them posts from folks like what? or TTCLM or TopHand or whoever is being the latest BSer on here. Makes for quite the entertainment. :D

Don't forget Matt or one of his many alias's.... he may have committed suicide again :roll:

Alan :cboy:

Fwiw, What? never had multiple user names like the others and was not a troll though..

Hadn't really thought about leaving until this current spell of slllooooow. Seems to happen pretty regularly. May have something to do with folks just giving up.

Life's too short........ :tiphat:

For me personally, its more of a time issue. Between the job, managing and maintaining our rental properties, and running the ranch there's not much time for just chatting, especially in the spring. I use these boards as a resource when I become concerned or interested in some particular aspect of the the cattle business. The experience available on these boards covers all aspects of the cattle business and amounts to consulting someone with probably several hundred years in the business. I used to contribute more than I do now mainly because a few years back there was more new ground to cover. I still try to keep up with the latest issues but due to time constraints I have to focus on the ones that have the most immediate and relavent impact on my operations. I generally don't post unless I'm looking for information, or I think I can contribute an idea, actionable information, or a different perspective.

BTW- Thanks to all you long timers on these boards that keep it going and have provided your insights. I'm sure there are probably thousands of cattle out there that are alot better off because of the information that came out of these boards.

i am a lurker!! and i am proud of it!!!!
normally, when i get to a post and actually know how to answer, someone has beaten me to it and there is no reason to repeat it cause then i think someone will think i am just copying from them... but if i do have a question i don't hestitate to ask it, knowing that i will get an answer!! i will however post some jokes every now and again. i hope y'all enjoy them when i do!!!

;-)

oh and by the way, you have to be thick skinned enough to be on here and take it or turn off the computer!! i agree 100% with this one, but the way i look at it--you don't know these people and they don't know you--heck could be your next door neighbor--so say waht you have to say you will probably never meet them in person and actually know it!!!!!

;-) ;-)

Couple years ago quite a few threads we're getting locked over the discussion of angus.
If you raised angus you really had to have tough hide.

Cal

I'm still around, log in most every day, check the "active topics" and leave again. My lack of posting in recent months as compared to the past is mostly due to time (I'm in college 9 months out of the year now), and lack of posts I can answer. I'm not interested in random chat, there's a lot in the coffee shop that goes way over my head, and I can't answer questions about breeds and conformation and what bull to cross with what cow. I pretty much just answer and ask health questions.

This forum is still my first choice for real cow questions, even though I surf some other forums -- folks here have seen a lot and have many years of experience, more so than other forums. I was extremely frustrated this past weekend with not being able to get on CT, when I had that injured calf and wanted some input from y'all.

Our forum community is very much like the town you live in. People come and people go. Some are nice, some not. Some are interesting, some are rude. People die, get out of the cattle business, get bored, whatever.

But year in and year out this is the best and most popular cattle forum on the Internet. And I thank you all for making it what it is. :nod:

The folks over at cattle.com track cattle forum popularity. Take a look:
http://www.cattle.com/

M Gravlee":1de6nieh said:
Our forum community is very much like the town you live in. People come and people go. Some are nice, some not. Some are interesting, some are rude. People die, get out of the cattle business, get bored, whatever.

But year in and year out this is the best and most popular cattle forum on the Internet. And I thank you all for making it what it is. :nod:

The folks over at cattle.com track cattle forum popularity. Take a look:
http://www.cattle.com/

Wow! Between Cattle Today and Ranchers, it looks like you're the man, Macon. Thank you for taking that leap into the internet.

That is interesting. Lots of good posters and knowledgeable folks on CT.
I thinks it's good to have some controversy and arguments sometimes. Sure gets attention and makes multiple page threads. Some get out of hand, get locked, then time to move on. We sure don't want CT to get boring. :cry2: :help:

I haven't posted much lately for several reasons. One is that the time I spend here can usually be spent more productively in other areas such as actually doing farm work or be engaged in other more important ventures. Secondly, to be honest, I got bored with the same arguments, questions, comments, etc. that have been covered countless times. Lastly, although many good hearted people participate, I got tired of the rude remarks given by some members when a person, novice or experienced, asked a question in an effort trying to learn about the cow business. There's no room for rudeness on a cattle board, because for the most part cattle folks are the salt of the earth.

J.T. That's is exactly when your experience with cattle and your comments influence.
Cattle people are an independent group, opinions are welcome.
There are always rouges, so what? Keep up the good posts.

My time here has dropped off significantly in the past year. I took a new more demanding job and don't have the time to dedicate to reading a lot of posts and replying to them. I still have cattle of my own to take care of on top of the job. Leaves little time in the day for other things.

This web site is great.. but it is a very right wing place.I been reg. here three times and liked it better in the old day. In W. frist election the con. B.S. was so thick that I got tired of the place . The second time around was not much better. Nowdays they control this site much better. But it is still very Right wing. Nothing wrong with that, but sort of like Christians, it does not need to be pushed down peoples throat..I did not leave the site because of any of this just get busy and the forget my pass words ,Easy to become a member again..Besides in the last 12 years there are only a hand full of people here that truly know what they are saing, alot of book read know it alls only a few true cow people...Love you Frankie,Dun, and even cautic burrow.

Txwalt":2fhb1kgr said:
IluvABbeef":2fhb1kgr said:
I'm more of a lurker than anything, since I really don't have any questions or anything to contribute to this forum, I more or less just do reading any interesting stuff that catches my interest when I log on. Still don't stop learning from here though.

You average 2.73 posts per day. Thats not a lurker. I wonder what the highest is? I know we have some around the 6 mark though. I think mine is above a 2 and I don't know anything about cattle.

Walt

Yeah I know. But I still consider myself one since I'm not on here as regularly as I have been in the past, and that includes posting and reading. I have like a gazillion posts to catch up on in between work and evening breaks before bed.

Jogeephus":18j7aq6x said:
IluvABbeef":18j7aq6x said:
I'm more of a lurker than anything, since I really don't have any questions or anything to contribute to this forum, I more or less just do reading any interesting stuff that catches my interest when I log on. Still don't stop learning from here though.

Better a lurker than a snurker. I disagree about your not having anything to contribute. To me hearing how others do things in other parts of the country is interesting. (If everyone lurked I'd have to play Escrabble and I refuse to do that. ;-) ) While other methods may not work for me there are elements that might. It gives gives you food for thought and lets you back up and look at things from different angles. Just as someone once posted, "its hard to look at the picture when you are in it". Lot of truth in that yet a few people don't get this. Some think their way is the only way. Its kinda like an old saying we have, "there are those who know, those who know they don't know, and those who don't know they don't know". The latter group makes wonderful snurkers as they lurk and snipe at peoples posts with negative personal remarks and boasts of their omnipotence. But like you say, these do make for some humorous entertainment when they trip over their words. :lol2:

Yeah I totally agree with you on these points. I think only those who are "talented" at being a complete a-hole and posing as someone who could only be considered as their alter ego, at least in their heads, would be considered snurkers. :)

Latest posts