Meet OR-4. Pics.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Meet OR-4.

Orphan # 4 was found along the edge of the woods flat out and could not stand on his own. He appeared to be 2 or 3 days old. When I my in his mouth he began sucking. He appeared to have a slight fever and had little saliva.
Eyes were sunken, slightly glazed but clear and not discolored.
My diagnosis: This calf is not eating and is dehydrated.
Calf was given a shot of LA-200 and a B complex shot.
I prepared a quart of Kick Starter with 1 aspirin and the little guy put it away in no time flat.
Cow # 18 came around and half heartedly made claim to him.

Four hours later I came back to check on the little guy.
He was on his feet and cow 18 was the only cow near by.
Her bag was full and teats were of normal size and clean, but not wet.

The next day the calf was down again and could not stand so I administer 1 quart of Kick Start again.
Two hours later the little guy was following cow 18 and attempting to nurse, but she kept kicking him off.
So cow 18 went on my cull list and the little guy went to my orphanage as OR-4.

The little guy is now two weeks old, drinks 2qts milk replacer morning and night and 1-2 pounds of calf starter grain per day.
Mon. he goes on half rations of milk repacer and will be totally weaned over the next two weeks.
SL

Pic 1.
100_0179.jpg

Pic 2.
100_0183.jpg

Orphan # 4 was found along the edge of the woods flat out and could not stand on his own. He appeared to be 2 or 3 days old. When I my in his mouth he began sucking. He appeared to have a slight fever and had little saliva.
Eyes were sunken, slightly glazed but clear and not discolored.
My diagnosis: This calf is not eating and is dehydrated.
Calf was given a shot of LA-200 and a B complex shot.
I prepared a quart of Kick Starter with 1 aspirin and the little guy put it away in no time flat.
Cow # 18 came around and half heartedly made claim to him.

Four hours later I came back to check on the little guy.
He was on his feet and cow 18 was the only cow near by.
Her bag was full and teats were of normal size and clean, but not wet.

The next day the calf was down again and could not stand so I administer 1 quart of Kick Start again.
Two hours later the little guy was following cow 18 and attempting to nurse, but she kept kicking him off.
So cow 18 went on my cull list and the little guy went to my orphanage as OR-4.

The little guy is now two weeks old, drinks 2qts milk replacer morning and night and 1-2 pounds of calf starter grain per day.
Mon. he goes on half rations of milk repacer and will be totally weaned over the next two weeks.
SL

Pic 1.
100_0179.jpg

Pic 2.
100_0183.jpg