Meet my "new" Beefmaster Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
This guy is 21 months old. He's been out on the show circuit till about 3 months ago. Now he's back home. I won't have any open cows until this spring, but he seems glad to be home after his time on the road.
rubin2.jpg

rubin1.jpg

rubin.jpg

The sire at 6 months old. He went on to be a grand champion show bull, too, and now lives on a beefmaster ranch in south Texas. I have pix of him as an adult, but haven't dug them out to scan. The most notable name in his lineage is Caddo Warrior.

scan0011.jpg

Dam, she's my favorite cow. King Cotton daughter. The bull was her first calf.

SSL10495.jpg

Amazing that I got that solid cherry red color!

he is nice looking bull.love that red color.you can tell he has been on heavy feed.

He was on heavy feed while showing. He has been off since the middle of October. I worried about his feet, but he seemed to handle it well. That's a real big drawback about using breeding stock as show animals. It is especially hard on heifers who are still developing udder tissue, which can be hindered by fat.

He is still growing. No more feed, just hay and minerals.

Your bull looks really nice.Had you not said Beefmaster he almost could pass as a Gert. He seems to be doing very well from the show circuit to pasture feeding.Would love to see some of his calves once they hit the ground.

how do you like beefmaster cows and bulls. good and bad qualities for crossbreeding

He seems to be an okay bull. People do love dark red. Sometimes you can sell that just like you can sell black. People buy it just because...it doesn't weigh anything, it has no quality about it, but people will surely buy it. Don't know that I'd have this bull any more than I would Black Granite...but as I always say, do what you think works for you. If it doesn't work, a foundation genetics breeder will have a good bull to sell you. :D

trin":3rrp68vy said:
how do you like beefmaster cows and bulls. good and bad qualities for crossbreeding

I don't know much about Kentucky weather, but I'm sure you could benefit from crossbreeding with Beefmaster bulls. You'll benefit from the same hybrid vigor that any cross will provide. In addition, you'll be using genetics from quite possibly the most maternal-oriented beef breed in the business. If you want the birthweights associated with English breeds and weaning weights associated with Continental breeds, give Beefmasters a try. Beefmasters are chasing weight and losing the advantage of birthweight...and we aren't chasing birthweight and losing the advantage of weaning weight. It's the best of both worlds. And if your cows will be raising calves in Summer temperatures above 85 degrees, you'll like the benefit of Brahman influence.

Here's your "bad quality" which is the perfect expression for this thought: Some bull calves, that are exceptional, will have a bad sheath. Those that do should be turned into exceptional steers. The bad is that he won't be a bull (or shouldn't be), the quality is the steer calf that you get. Pounds = Profit.

EC

He can come to South Texas when you get tired of him, I think it's kind of funny the gert people think he looks like one of them, seeing as beefmaster and gert are virtually the same cross but beefmasters focused on maternal traits rather than red coloration, I love them both, I also have a little bull that is very similar to this one you can see him @ tehayandcattle.com it takes awhile to download all my pictures though