Meds Question

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p

Reaction score
I normally use Nuflor. I used the last of the bottle friday. I asked the vet at the sale barn, to buy 6 cc shot of Nuflor. He said he uses draxxin(?spelling). I called the vet that I use when something happens I cant handle, he said he uses excenel(?spelling). Which is the better one? I like nuflor but I have to order it through my horse vet.

I use Exenel in place of penecillin. Cuts or abcesses, foot rot and pink eye. Draxin and Nuflor are used for respritory like BRD. I have used all three one time or another. I have lately had better luck with Baytril for respritory. Draxin is supposed to be a one does treatment. My vet and one other I have spoken to say that is not true. Go figure. Very expensive.

Scotty":fbruft9c said:
I use Exenel in place of penecillin. Cuts or abcesses, foot rot and pink eye. Draxin and Nuflor are used for respritory like BRD. I have used all three one time or another. I have lately had better luck with Baytril for respritory. Draxin is supposed to be a one does treatment. My vet and one other I have spoken to say that is not true. Go figure. Very expensive.

Draxin is real expensive. We've had pretty good luck with it...but it isn't the absolute magic bullet.

And no, Draxin isn't always a one dose treatment...however, if you don't see results after 2 doses, it's time to switch, 'cause the cost of the draxin can be prohibitive. I've had good luck with exenel on some, and it's a bust on others. I hate that trial and error stuff.

Nuflor is some good stuff...if it hits the stuff it's made for...just like Baytril or anything else.

We've been told that at the feed yards, when one gets sick they hit it with the high dollar stuff first...if that doesn't work they go to the next...and if that doesn't work they go to stuff like Tylosin...and sometimes it's the Tylosin that does the trick.

One never knows...

Alice

I would say the Nuflour is as good as it gets for the price . Draxxin is outragoues. If I have a bad case of pnumonia , I will hit them with nuflour and Penn at the same time . My vet said the 2 work really well togather. also we have good results to give banamine at the same time to reduce the fever and get them up and moving quicker.

oscar p":2ul8rq5u said:
I normally use Nuflor. I used the last of the bottle friday. I asked the vet at the sale barn, to buy 6 cc shot of Nuflor. He said he uses draxxin(?spelling). I called the vet that I use when something happens I cant handle, he said he uses excenel(?spelling). Which is the better one? I like nuflor but I have to order it through my horse vet.

For respiratory stuff, Baytril is better in our experience. We used to use Nuflor, but we've found that Baytril outperforms Nuflor - hands down.

Latest posts