Medicated Feeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have been told that medicated feeds could destroy some natural immunities that your cattle already have.
Any opinions or advice on this.

bruce.mcmonigle":2nha5tds said:
I have been told that medicated feeds could destroy some natural immunities that your cattle already have.

Why give them anything medicated if they are not sick? I don't know what sort of medication is in the feed you are considering but it is well proven that over-use of antibiotics breeds resistant bugs so the antibiotics are not as effective when you do really need them to treat a sick animal.

I would suggest you put the money spent on medicated feed into a good mineral program such as the Mineralyx barrels. jmho. jim

SRBeef":11zk875a said:
bruce.mcmonigle":11zk875a said:

Why give them anything medicated if they are not sick? I don't know what sort of medication is in the feed you are considering but it is well proven that over-use of antibiotics breeds resistant bugs so the antibiotics are not as effective when you do really need them to treat a sick animal.

I would suggest you put the money spent on medicated feed into a good mineral program such as the Mineralyx barrels. jmho. jim
It depends on the what you refer to as medication...antibiotics?? Chlortetracycline?? Most feeds don't contain enough to really do any good for anything other than a mild case of shipping fever....but CTC also is used for improved rate of gain....so I guess you sort of get a trade off. To me a calf that is sick needs to be treated individually for the specific illness using an antibiotic injection...not with feed. Rumensin and Bovatec are technically "medications" but great products.

Latest posts