Medicated Feed and minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Never tried medicated minerals free choice. I was always afraid they would make what ever is making my calves sick sicker in a way and harder to treat. I saw a new or, new to my ears, product called Bovatec. With out advertising can you gents give me some advice and info on such products and results.
Thanks.

Scotty :D

Product description:

Bovatec is an ionophore with lasalocid sodium as active ingredient. Lasalocid is the only divalent ionophore produced from Streptomyces lasaliensis. Ionophores function as regulators of ruminal microbial metabolism and as an anticoccidial in cattle and sheep. Bovatec can improve liveweight gains and feed conversion efficiency in growing cattle and lot feed beef cattle. It is also a critical aid in the improvement of milk production by dairy cows fed high protein grass pastures and by lot fed dairy cattle. Bovatec helps to improve ruminal Volatile Fatty Acid (VFA) production. Bovatec helps reduce the faecal shedding of coccidia Eimeria spp. in confined sheep.

Active ingredient:

Lasalocid sodium.
Divalent ionophore
Stability:

Bovatec Medicated Premix has excellent stability. Lasalocid retention in the premix averaged 100% after storage for 12 months at 22° C and 100% after storage for 6 months at 37° C.
Lasalocid is also stable in complete meal and pelleted feeds.
Safety and Compatibility:

Bovatec has an excellent safety margin in beef cattle up to 5 times the highest approved level. It also has a wide margin of safety in sheep.
Compare to monensin, lasalocid has a better safety margin in horse with 10 times higher Oral LD50 value.
Accidental consumption of lasalocid-medicated feed by dogs should be avoided.
Summary:

Divalent ionophore with lasalocid sodium as active ingredient.
Improves both rate of weight gain and feed efficiency of beef cattle.
Aids the improvement of milk production in dairy cows.
Helps prevent coccidiosis caused by Eimeria spp. in confined sheep.
Excellent safety margin on non-targeted species compare to other ionophores such as monensin.

Without all of the stuff that "mom" posted, we've alwasy had it in our grain ration, but we feed very little grain. We do feed medicated minerals, but that's pretty much a standard with fescue pastures. I've had is splained to me a dozen times, kind of like "moms" explanation. Afteer the first couple of the compicated part my brain goes into park and I just kind of go numb.

dun

dun":3c4j98i9 said:
Without all of the stuff that "mom" posted, we've alwasy had it in our grain ration, but we feed very little grain. We do feed medicated minerals, but that's pretty much a standard with fescue pastures. I've had is splained to me a dozen times, kind of like "moms" explanation. Afteer the first couple of the compicated part my brain goes into park and I just kind of go numb.

dun

:lol: :lol:
yea.. kind of like.. now tell what the stuff really does
:shock: :roll:

jt

Then how about this one:

Bovatec®
in United States of America

Bovatec (lasalocid) is an ionophore for use in cattle and sheep that provides both anticoccidial and performance enhancing benefits.

In cattle and sheep, Bovatec increases rate of weight gain and improves feed efficiency.
Bovatec also increases growth rate of pasture cattle including stocker cattle, dairy and beef replacement heifers.
Bovatec is cleared for use in milk replacers for calves.
Bovatec is cleared in many free-choice applications for cattle.
Cattle on Bovatec are protected from coccidiosis caused by Eimeria. bovis and E. zuernii.
Sheep on Bovatec are protected from coccidiosis caused by Eimeria ovina, E. crandallis, E. ovinoidalis, E. parva and E. intricata.
Bovatec can be used alone or fed in combination with other selected drugs. In the United States, refer to the Code of Federal Regulations (Title 21) or the Feed Additive Compendium for label directions, claims, withdrawal periods, and limitations, cautions, and warnings.

A lot of bagged calf rations have Bovatec in the mix.. it's primarily for easier gain and to prevent sickness from weaning and stress.

Be careful if you have horses around Bovatec, it will kill a horse

I apologize first for spelling eroors that may follow...
I believe rumensin is a safer ionasphere than bovatec. It will increase feed effienciency, rumensin also helps prevent coccidiosis. It has kinda the same effect as implanting I suppose. Crystalyx has a tub with ionosphere in it called iona-lyx. There may be a withdrawl period on it too. We use Land O Lakes steak maker with bovatec.

I guesse if they will lets us, could ya'll give me more product names. I am thinking of selling calves in a premium weaned calf sale. They haved to be on the VAC 45 program.

Latest posts