Medical Tidbit

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Lost my aunt to cancer on February 1st. She was a nurse for a long-term care facility in MN. She only had a little over 3 months once she was diagnosed with colon cancer. The only warning she got was slight pains in the lower abdomen, almost disregarded as stomach cramps.

Anyways, being involved in the medical field, she knew how she wanted the end to come. When she decided it was time (basically tired of the pain), she had the doctor and nurses put her into a medically induced-coma by ramping up some tranquilizer medication until she went unconscious, at which point they maintained that level of medication until she passed which was within 24 hours.

All of the family didn't even know this was possible, but according to my aunt, it's done both in the US and Canada in terminal patients. Really a nice way to go out if your loved one is terminal. Sure beats the alternative of the screaming and moaning end which my grandmother (aunt's mother) endured with bone cancer in 1989, which was ended when the morphine levels finally overcame her.

Just like you all to know in case you weren't aware of your, or your loved ones, options. I know that is the option I will choose in such a situation.

Edit: I should add that the doctor said they only require the patient to personally request the procedure and be of sound mind.

I did not think they could do that but I am glad they can. Not much different really than the Dr Death, Kevorkian, methods when you get down to the end result.