Medical Bills

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Needing to vent. My son hit himself in the head with a t-post driver. Stupid but happens. Split his head wide open and he needed 7 staples. Naturally it happend in the evening when the minor emergency clinics are closed. He got the bill. The hospital fees were $602 and doctor charged an additional $663. Moral of this story...use super glue if you cut your head open. Healthcare does stink in the US. He does have insurance but hasn't met his deductible.

Had a physical a couple weeks ago and was shocked at the lab charges of $700+ dollars for blood work. Hate to think about what the surgery I have coming up will be.

ffamom":1rda1x0m said:
Needing to vent. My son hit himself in the head with a t-post driver. Stupid but happens. Split his head wide open and he needed 7 staples. Naturally it happend in the evening when the minor emergency clinics are closed. He got the bill. The hospital fees were $602 and doctor charged an additional $663. Moral of this story...use super glue if you cut your head open.
Healthcare does stink in the US. He does have insurance but hasn't met his deductible.
They think this is some sort of monoply game with play money. Absurd.

Those butterfly band aids from the drugstore would probably have worked just as well. Found that out the last time they wanted to sew me up and I wouldn't let them.

Got me a Fillet Mignon Steak a couple weeks ago at Hereford House Steak House it cost $35.00 and no one had to go to college for 8 years to make it or build a 100 million dollar restaurant to cook it. ;-) Should we complain about Beef prices?

FYI:

If one doesn't have health insurance (or haven't met your deductible), talk with the hospital/clinic business manager. There are usually TWO prices they charge: One higher price that is submitted to insurance company. A second lower price they will let you pay if your insurance doesn't. Possible to get between 10% and 40% discount for "private" pay, plus a payment plan.

On DIY medical care:

Yes, a cut, gash, etc., that is not life-threatening can be "sealed" with "steri-strips" and bandages. However, the PROBLEM has to do with foreign matter getting into the cut. All serious skin openings need to be flushed properly with saline or other hospital type irrigation (usually with a syringe) before the wound is closed up. If any foreign matter remains in the opening after closing up...well...big opportunity for serious infection (e.g. staph) and more medical costs.

For those of you that have insurance what do you usually set your deductible at.

I am glad your son is alright FFamom head injuries can be very serious.

Tuesday when we moved a few cows to a different pasture the wind blew the truck door into hubby, it knocked him flat on his @ss. He had a 3 inch long and 1/2 inch deep gash right to the bone just missing his left eye. Hour and a half wait in the emergency room and 7 stitches later he was back home. With a slight headache.
We only go to the doctor for emergencies, physicals and prescription renewals. But I am sure glad we have health care. We pay almost 50% in taxes though, so maybe if we weren't so heavily taxed we would have money in our pockets to pay for emergency treatments.

It is a double edged sword ,I think when they charge you 10 dollars for an aspirin that should be illegal.

Aplus that had better have been a h@ll of a steak .

Glad to hear your son is OK. if it were here he would walk into the Hospital, wait a good few hours and leave without paying a penny, as he would have done that in his salary, but no where near that much. I have blood tests every month and Insulin, blood test strips and any other medication that I need, go to the Dr get prescription take to pharmacy and that's it, Nothing more to pay. I find it all above my head to think of having to pay for everything when you need it. We do also have a Private Medical Plan, but am thinking now why, as I have only used it twice.

I met some very nice people from Canada last week. I ask about their free health care. They said they didnt think anything was wrong with it, all they had ever had. They got services when needed at no cost. We have Blue Cross with a $500. family yearly deductable and they pay eighty percent up to so much then pay 100%. My Blue Cross is a little diferent than the wifes as I also have Medicare part A and B. We also have Dental and Prescriptions with our policy. I can tell you, The 20% can hurt you.
Tom.

Dental and prescriptions here can kill you. If you want insurance for that you need blue cross (or the like) or your employer can provide it.

With the job slow down alot of employers have cut benefits and even with insurance alot of prescription meds provided by your doctor with a letter still are not covered.

Also health care here really is only free to those that have 10 kids and those tat are on welfare the rest of us get the kageeges taxed out of them to pay for the system. BUT in time of emergency the last thing I want to worry about is how am I or hubby going to pay for this when it means saving a life especially if it is someone I love.

One thing I am going to do for sure when/if I get another border collie is have pet insurance on them . I wish I would have done that for Steffie ,,she was the healthiest dog ever not even a scrape in her 12 years up until the cancer.

hillsdown":k2n5lvhb said:
larryshoat":k2n5lvhb said:
hillsdown":k2n5lvhb said:
For those of you that have insurance what do you usually set your deductible at

Ours is 2000 dollars per person.

Larry

Larry how much would your premiums go up if you had say a 500 deductible.

I'm not sure, my wife gets it through work. My daughter just graduated and doesn't have insurance yet, so I've been paying hers myself, It's $141 a month with the $2000. I think it was double that for the $500. She is 24.

Larry

At the moment I have a $5000 per person yearly deductible. Insurance company sends me a birthday reminder each year too. However, if a few things work out favorable for me I'll have the same plan as the folks in DC enjoy and I won't have to worry about anything anymore.

Jogeephus":9utoksmf said:
At the moment I have a $5000 per person yearly deductible. Insurance company sends me a birthday reminder each year too. However, if a few things work out favorable for me I'll have the same plan as the folks in DC enjoy and I won't have to worry about anything anymore.

Are shrinks covered on your policy?
:D

novatech":j3mniojh said:
When you pay your bill at the hospital you are paying for the people that don't pay along with your own.

What if the auto industry worked like that? People who think they are entitled could just go get a car or truck for free.

backhoeboogie":19r9quts said:
novatech":19r9quts said:
When you pay your bill at the hospital you are paying for the people that don't pay along with your own.

What if the auto industry worked like that? People who think they are entitled could just go get a car or truck for free.
We already are paying for the cars twice. Once when we pay taxes that the gov. gives to the manufacturer and again when we buy the car. Oh and again when we pay taxes that go for bail out money to the banks that finance the cars.
Auto manufactures out to give us the cars. After all it's our money that the government gives them to manufacture them.
So now the gov. wants to straighten out the medical system. Did I hear right? They want to make sure that the illegals are also taken care of in the new plan.

hillsdown":22mjw7il said:
For those of you that have insurance what do you usually set your deductible at.

I am glad your son is alright FFamom head injuries can be very serious.

Tuesday when we moved a few cows to a different pasture the wind blew the truck door into hubby, it knocked him flat on his @ss. He had a 3 inch long and 1/2 inch deep gash right to the bone just missing his left eye. Hour and a half wait in the emergency room and 7 stitches later he was back home. With a slight headache.
We only go to the doctor for emergencies, physicals and prescription renewals. But I am sure glad we have health care. We pay almost 50% in taxes though, so maybe if we weren't so heavily taxed we would have money in our pockets to pay for emergency treatments.

It is a double edged sword ,I think when they charge you 10 dollars for an aspirin that should be illegal.

Aplus that had better have been a h@ll of a steak .

When I took my last job they had several different plans to choose from. I chose the 300 dollar deductible plan. What with my asthma, sleep apnea, fatness, etc I meet that the first few times I go to the doctor.

backhoeboogie":5w2qz14x said:
Jogeephus":5w2qz14x said:

Are shrinks covered on your policy?
:D

Not talking politics just certain paperwork pertaining to some personal things.

Probably not Backhoe. Probably say that shrinks are not real medicine. My current policy is wonderful. Just ask my agent he'll tell you the same. Of course when you actually have to use it its a different story. Its amazing what they can find in an individual's policy that is not covered. All things remaining the same I'm looking at paying around $1200/month in just a few more birthdays. However I learned something the other day that I qualify for something unique that will provide me with the same policy with a $500 deductible for less than half the price I'm paying now. Its kinda a unique plan that offers certain individuals the power of the govmint's group. I start on that in November but I'm hoping the other comes through cause its even better.

edit: I want nothing more than what they have. Nothing more nothing less. I think we all deserve that.JMO

Check into a Health Savings Account
Blue Cross Blue Shield offers it along with others.

I really like it and if I had started it younger I would have been able to accumulate a nest egg. (spend less on medical stuff when you are young). I end up investing the same amount of money each year(half to the insurance company /half to the account)- but if you don't have much in bills what is left stays in your account for next year or for retirement. I picked the plan that once I hit my deductible(2,500/person) the company pays 100%. I have been nailed by that 20% stuff before- even 20% of something big can seriously damage your finances.
And there are great tax benefits that make it even better- if you show any income (which I haven't the last two years :( ).

Jogephus- can you tell us any more about the government group plan?

Latest posts