Medi-Dart

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This thing is advertised as either a crossbow, compound bow or extension apparatus to give injections from a distance..so you don't have to put em' thru the chute. Does anybody know if this works? Sure sounds easier to me!

[email protected]

I'd probably end up hitting:

a)my husband b)my daughter c)the wrong cow d)the wrong species e)myself

Think I'll pass, but if your a good shot, might be worth a try.

Hey! Would stay away from the "bows and arrows"...lol. INSTEAD, consider a dart injection system using a special rifle or handgun. Believe a company called "Pneumo-Dart" or something like that has them. Also, check out Cabella's catalog. These systems are very accurate (if you can aim a gun correctly) and have different sized needles, etc. "Problem" is that the dart will fall out of the animal soon or a little later after the injection. This could be a problem if someone stepped on the dart/needle and/or an animal injested it while grazing. Would seem to me to be important to find that spent dart ASAP and dispose of it safely. Bill. P.S. these dart guns are used with "wild" animals, by zoos, and other people. However, you can also use them to administer tranquilizers (but have to get such meds from a Vet).

[email protected]

The problem I've seen with the shooting darts type of process for medication/synch./tranq./etc. is that it has to be shot into a major muscle area. Most folks shoot them in the hind quarters. That is totally alien to the concept of BQA.

dun

> This thing is advertised as either
> a crossbow, compound bow or
> extension apparatus to give
> injections from a distance..so you
> don't have to put em' thru the
> chute. Does anybody know if this
> works? Sure sounds easier to me!

I recommend you visit this site: <A HREF="http://www.palmercap-chur.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.palmercap-chur.com/</A> The darts are made for easy retreival, and I suspect the rifle is better for aim.

Eaglewerks

[email protected]

Latest posts