Med Program for beef production?

Help Support CattleToday:

double D

Reaction score
I have a local vet that Im not sure about, my question is this: if I was in the business of buying a few bucket calves (angus) and raising them for myself and a few family members for beef as soon as they made weight. Is there someone who would give me advice on a vet program, I will be doing all my own shots etc. I didnt know if anyone would have a week or month type chart, and what I should start out giving them if I didnt know what the animal had recieved before getting such as a possible sale barn purchase. I am wanting to be as all natural as possible I didnt know when to worm and when to give them a shot such as a 7 way...I hope I have been clear on what I am asking, these animals wont be kept "long term" but I want them as healthy as possible I plan on doing this every year.

You do not tell us how much you know about cows and calves - the answers may depend upon that information

Your post is basic and tells me you are a newbie - it is a risky game

Try your local cattle assoc - and become a member!

Lots of info here on this site - try a search first

Then remember to not be a drive by poster

Come back and respond to the answers you get - you would be surprized how many do not - therefore you are low on the priority list here until you gain a little credibility

[Bez]

If you are not sure about your vet, my question is why? Is your vet a small animal vet with minimal livestock experience?
If the answer is no, that the vet is a livestock and cattle vet, maybe you do not like the advice the vet gives because it challenges your views.
For example, you are looking at getting sale barn calves, and maybe your vet is advising you that this is not a senario you need to deal with. Or you have conceived notions on what to do and the vet is giving contrary advice.

What is your experience with cattle?
What do you mean by natural grown?

If your vet is a cattle vet, the disease questions are best answered by the vet for the area you live in.

A good vet who will dispense advice freely is like gold in your pocket. Develope and cultivate a professional working relationship with your vet. It will be time well spent when you have that after 5 emergency, which is when most occur.

It seems that the most inexperienced gravitate toward bottle calves, this is unfortunate, this is the last group that should try raising calves.

If you're determined, find someone in your area that raises calves professionaly, use their vet and do exactly as they say. Feel free to come back here and we will help you all we can.

Larry

Hey, thanks for the replys I just found this board and it has a wealth of knowledge on it, I will contact a local vet. I was just trying to find out if there was a basic program I could follow for what I was wanting to do, I thought I would be able to administer my own preventive meds since it was a short term care and only purchasing a pair of bucket calves. I have been around livestock all my life I just have never had my own cows/steers. I guess I will just talk to a vet I just found out about, and yes the vet I was refering to earlier was a small animal vet....hey thanks.

double D":g3mrxblx said:
Hey, thanks for the replys I just found this board and it has a wealth of knowledge on it, I will contact a local vet. I was just trying to find out if there was a basic program I could follow for what I was wanting to do, I thought I would be able to administer my own preventive meds since it was a short term care and only purchasing a pair of bucket calves. I have been around livestock all my life I just have never had my own cows/steers. I guess I will just talk to a vet I just found out about, and yes the vet I was refering to earlier was a small animal vet....hey thanks.

If possible can you tell us where your located and maybe we can offer you some assistance. I don't agree with some of the others on bottle calves being bad for beginers. I think it is a crash course on how to medicate, notice problems, prevent problems etc. It is risky but you got to learn somehow.
I do agree that you need a good vet that will work with you and help you. LARGE ANIMAL VET, not small animal. BIG DIFFERENCE. Mainly good milk, grain and preventing scours is the biggest parts of preventative medicine in bottle calves. You can't give most vac. until they are two months old anyways.
We have done a lot of what they call diers from the auctions in the past and learned a lot. Have a great vet by my side though in the beginning. If there is anything we can help you with please feel free to PM me and i'll help if I can.
Best of luck.
Double R

Latest posts