Meat quality

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was told if a bull was banded at the bottom of the sack, holding the testicles tight to the body he would not be able to breed and the meat would be leaner and still have the aspects of being a steer.what about the quality of meat and taste?

[email protected]

What you would have is a sterile bull. All of the bull characteristics including aggresion, mounting cows, harassing the cows, with about 95% certainty that he is sterile. But every once in while you may get a calf sired by him. The only steer characteristic he will have is the probability of being sterile, maybe. It used to be done around here frequently for the 4-H FFA kids to get them an addvantage in growth over the other kids. Now, they must be knife cut and verified by a vet.

dunmovin farms

> I was told if a bull was banded at
> the bottom of the sack, holding
> the testicles tight to the body he
> would not be able to breed and the
> meat would be leaner and still
> have the aspects of being a
> steer.what about the quality of
> meat and taste?

A bull doesn't marble as well as a steer. A bull that ultrasounds at 4.5 for marbling would likely ultrasound 5.5 or 6 for marbling if he had been steered. So the extra growth you expect by leaving him a bull might be offset by a loss of quality.

> What you would have is a sterile
> bull. All of the bull
> characteristics including
> aggresion, mounting cows,
> harassing the cows, with about 95%
> certainty that he is sterile. But
> every once in while you may get a
> calf sired by him. The only steer
> characteristic he will have is the
> probability of being sterile,
> maybe. It used to be done around
> here frequently for the 4-H FFA
> kids to get them an addvantage in
> growth over the other kids. Now,
> they must be knife cut and
> verified by a vet.

> dunmovin farms

My son had a holstein bottle calf and he decided one day to band him but left the testicles above the band, thus leaving them above the body, yet this so called steer bred three heifers so don't consider him sterile until he has no nuts

We have raised several bulls to butcher. The quality and taste of the meat has been very good, and always better than grocery store meat. We like the idea of natural beef with no implants. We also believe we obtain more muscle mass by the animal remaining a bull. It has never made sense to me to castrate a bull then give it implants so it can make up for the hormones you have deprived it of. There are now several commercial cattle operations I have read about in some of the cattle trade publications that do not castrate and do not implant. I believe one such program is called Meyer's Natural Angus out of Montana. This may not be an option for all commercial cattle producers but I will continue the practice it in my small herd. This is my first time to post and I am sure there will be some who disagree with me.

[email protected]

Bulls can make excelent meat. The biggest problem is that they will be riding each other causing tougher muscling, some possible bruising and possibly a dark cutter or two. These lead to very big discounts at the plant. Steers main concern is eating. They gain weight easier and marble easier.

[email protected]

Latest posts