Meat Master Jogee - or other butchers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What is a good meat cleaver that's heavy duty and doesn't cost $ 700.00 like some I seen ? I have been butchering quite a bit lately and love my knifes I have but the cleaver sometimes is like swinging a ax over and over.

M-5":22bk4rvt said:
just go to an antique store and buy one. Plenty of old ones around that will still take and edge.

That's a good idea.. I will have to find some antique stores around and see if they have any.

M-5":3bkfpjce said:
My dad collects them he has 20 or 30 hanging in his shop , When they travel he usally picks up several at yard sales and antique stores for around 15 to 20 bucks a piece

I need to go to some yard sales and look there is plenty here maybe even a craigslist ad

if you do find a old one make sure its not pitted and you can take some 800 grit sand paper and it will shine up like new money. never put those high carbon blades in the dish washer or leave them in water. Use wash wipe and rub a little veg or olive oil on it

M-5":4b90w2a1 said:
if you do find a old one make sure its not pitted and you can take some 800 grit sand paper and it will shine up like new money. never put those high carbon blades in the dish washer or leave them in water. Use wash wipe and rub a little veg or olive oil on it

Thanks good tips

If weight is the issue and you are not whacking bones heavier than a chicken ; look into a Chinese cleaver. Usually made with high carbon steel and they sharpen up like a razor......they also don't hold that edge for long but they make a great light duty cleaver

Ontario Knife makes an "Old Hickory" 7" for under 30 dollars.Don't know how heavy but it's new and Made in USA.Their models are good carbon steel models priced right.They still make the two-edged "pig sticking" model.Just bought one for a friend who was butchering a hog last year.I have the old one my Grandaddy used and a newer one.
1095 carbon steel-same as in the USMC K-bar. @53-58 Rockwell.

You ain't foolin me.
You aren't looking for a meat cleaver.....you're looking for a giant cheese whacker.

seriously tho.. I haven't tried any yet, but I have had about 3 different people reccomend RADA knives and cleavers.

skyhightree1":1xnspfhu said:
What is a good meat cleaver that's heavy duty and doesn't cost $ 700.00 like some I seen ? I have been butchering quite a bit lately and love my knifes I have but the cleaver sometimes is like swinging a ax over and over.

These people make a decent butcher tools knives, cleavers and steels.
I have some that are 50 years old.
https://www.knifemerchant.com/products. ... uctLine=60

Latest posts