meat and cancer

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From Drovers update

Red-meat cancer link questioned
Last week, the National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society announced the results of two studies that they said show that red meat may raise colorectal cancer risks. (See Drovers Alert, Jan. 13, 2005.) Researchers claimed the studies are consistent with evolving thinking about specific foods and their cancer risks. But the results of those studies were called into question this week by Steven Milloy, publisher of http://www.JunkScience.com and http://www.CSRwatch.com, a columnist for http://www.FoxNews.com and an adjunct scholar at the CATO Institute, a non-profit public-policy research foundation in Washington, D.C. The research involved nearly 150,000 men and women aged 50 to 74 years who recorded their meat intake in 1982 and again in 1992-93. Milloy said the researchers actually had no conclusion worth reporting after they did an initial analysis of their data. "High intake of red meat reported in 1992/93 was associated with higher risk of colon cancer after adjusting for age and energy intake but not after further adjustment for body mass index, cigarette smoking and other (risk factors)," the researchers said. "Facing the prospect of no result," Milloy says, "I think the researchers then engaged in some slicing-and-dicing of their data in hopes of discovering some statistical correlation they could point to as a 'risk.'"

Comment:

As we reported last week, study co-author, Dr. Michael Thun, the American Cancer Society's epidemiology chief, said the results should be put into perspective: Smoking, obesity and inactivity are still thought to be more strongly linked with colon cancer than eating lots of red meat, he said. But Milloy also questioned the motives of another of the study's authors. "The National Cancer Institute's Rashmi Sinha has a long history of trying to use weak science to convict meat of causing cancer," Milloy said. "It appears that Dr. Sinha remains bent on using her position at the National Cancer Institute to scare us away from eating meat. She's been at it since 1994, but with little to show except a stack of scary, but unsupported headlines." — G.H.

Now we can all go back to eating red meat. Oh, that's right, we never quit. Kind of like eggs. It's always entertaining to see the experts (or at least some of them) finally come around and confirm what any idiot already knows.

Craig-TX

My oldest brother is one of those that believes in eating healthy. Moderate meat, lots of fish, veggies and salad. Quit smoking 40 years ago, in other words, what you'ld generally be considered a pretty healthy diet. All things in moderation. I smoke 4 packs a day, eat meat multiple times a day, a dozen or so eggs a week. My idea of salads is to let the cow put it on as beef, then I'll eat it. About the only veggie I eat regularly is tomatos and beans. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. 10 years ago he had colon cancer. Multiple surgeries etc. and he's been clean ever since.
I wouldn't recommend my way of eating, but his sure didn't help him any either.

dun

Inactivity and stress are the biggest health risk as far as I'm concerned.. My granddad quit smoking about a year and a half ago. He had smoked for 66 years (all non filters at that) and eat the worst foods you could ever imagine.....extreme amounts of grease, sugar and salt. His cholesterol is about 160, blood pressure is 110 over 65 and heart rate stays around 70. He has always been fairly active and doesn't worry about much of anything.

My other grandad has smoked or chewed for the last 75 years but eats a little healthier. I don't think he even knows what blood pressure is.

JB

I feel the same way about exercise. The health guidelines talk about 30 minutes exercise a couple of times a week. No wonder people are obese. I think some people get most of there exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle and straddling the fence.

dun

Have you ever seen the likes of all the fat kids there are now days? I don't know many thin kids. None of them get any exercise or do any work.

It is starting to shoe in the work place as well. It is very difficult to find a new employee in the 18-25 age group that is even close to being worth his salt.

At least some groups are standing up and questioning these results. The Framingham Study went on for years and linked animal fats with all sorts of diseases and was never questioned. After the head of the study left and set up his own diet business, the new head of the study quietly started publishing information that called earlier published results into question. :mad: IMO, our obesity problem began back when our "experts" told us to cut back on animal fats. Today the Atkins diet is even taught in medical schools. It's too bad Dr. Atkins didn't live to see the acceptance of his dieting program.

Frankie":22ybe2kw said:
At least some groups are standing up and questioning these results. The Framingham Study went on for years and linked animal fats with all sorts of diseases and was never questioned. After the head of the study left and set up his own diet business, the new head of the study quietly started publishing information that called earlier published results into question. :mad: IMO, our obesity problem began back when our "experts" told us to cut back on animal fats. Today the Atkins diet is even taught in medical schools. It's too bad Dr. Atkins didn't live to see the acceptance of his dieting program.

The Adkins diet with all that protein has its own set of potential problems,but I won't go there. The key to the dramatic rise in juvenile obesity,diabetes, and on and on,and on is the lack of exercise the kids get.They have taken away the recess anmd the madatory P.E. classes. They also don't do anything at home but play computer games or watch tv. :shock: :cboy: :mad:

Latest posts