Meal on the run

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
When I run in for breakfast or lunch I find this a quick and easy meal to make-
Grated cheese(cheddar or whatever you prefer)
Mayonnaise(a dollop)
Herbs(prefer sweet basil)
Spring onion-chopped
Salami/peperoni-chopped
Olives-chopped
Mix above together,spread on a slice of rye bread,sprinkle with cayenne pepper and microwave until melted.
I know it's not steak but.... ;-)

alisonb":neljjrgu said:
I know it's not steak but....

.... sounds good though. Thanks for sharing.

With our busy weeks we make a lot of precooked meals over the weekend.

One good one is breakfast in a cup. Combine ingredients into styrofoam cups and nuke when needed.

Serving of cooked cheese grits two sausage patties (crumbled) two scrambled eggs. Heat, stir and enjoy. Ready in 45 seconds per serving.

Premade egg mcmuffins are also a good one. Just prepar on the weekend, wrap in plastic wrap and heat and serve as needed during the week.

We do much the same thing, even cooking our lunch meals at home and taking them with us when we do our day jobs. Very seldom eat out anymore.

Jogeephus":53tc6f8c said:
alisonb":53tc6f8c said:
I know it's not steak but....

.... sounds good though. Thanks for sharing.

With our busy weeks we make a lot of precooked meals over the weekend.

One good one is breakfast in a cup. Combine ingredients into styrofoam cups and nuke when needed.

Serving of cooked cheese grits two sausage patties (crumbled) two scrambled eggs. Heat, stir and enjoy. Ready in 45 seconds per serving.

Premade egg mcmuffins are also a good one. Just prepar on the weekend, wrap in plastic wrap and heat and serve as needed during the week.

We do that, too. For variety, I vary beween english muffins, hamburger buns and toast for the "vehicle". And also vary between sausage/bacon/ham and fried vs scrambled. Would suggest wrapping in wax paper instead of plastic wrap so you don't get any chemicals when you nuke it hot again. We always have eggs out the wazoo from our chickens so it's a really cheap breakfast and still better than the stuff you can buy on the run.

Jogeephus":3swbhi3t said:
That sounds good too-and useing scrambled egg as a base you can vary ingredients as you wish i guess :)

alisonb":fzizjaz0 said:
Jogeephus":fzizjaz0 said:
That sounds good too-and useing scrambled egg as a base you can vary ingredients as you wish i guess :)

I didnt know they had scrambled eggs in south africa. I learn something new every day.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2cr5mj5l said:
alisonb":2cr5mj5l said:
Jogeephus":2cr5mj5l said:

I didnt know they had scrambled eggs in south africa. I learn something new every day.

One ostrich egg will feed all the cowboys. ;-)

alisonb":165hn5yk said:
Jogeephus":165hn5yk said:

Yep, there's no real recipe just go with what is good. Grits is what we use as a base. Grits make a wonderful base cause they are essentially tasteless but wonderful flavor carriers and very filling.

Ooooh! I have the whole 'base' thing wrong - would 'grits' be something like mealie meal(as we call it here) for making a kind of porridge? :???:
TexasBred":2pu0g9gk said:
One ostrich egg will feed all the cowboys.
One ostrich egg is equivalent to something like 21 hens eggs and is very rich :shock: -have tried it but must say don't fancy it too much.

alisonb":oirdzfhs said:
Ooooh! I have the whole 'base' thing wrong - would 'grits' be something like mealie meal(as we call it here) for making a kind of porridge? :???:
TexasBred":oirdzfhs said:
One ostrich egg will feed all the cowboys.
One ostrich egg is equivalent to something like 21 hens eggs and is very rich :shock: -have tried it but must say don't fancy it too much.

Yes, grits are kinda like a porridge made from finely ground white corn. Its more of a southern food (I think) cause it seems the further north you go the more hashbrowns are used in their place. In "gritology", you have three types of grits. The instant grits and regular grits you can find readily at the stores then there is the old fashioned course grit which are still made at a few of the remaining grist mills.

Grits in themselves is a pretty bland food but they are wonderful flavor carriers and adjusting water or milk can change the consistancy from smooth to rich and fluffy. Their biggest plus is that they are dirt cheap and very filling. If you know what you are doing you can make a really good meal off of them for next to nothing.

Jogeephus":1ulwdznq said:
Yes, grits are kinda like a porridge made from finely ground white corn. Its more of a southern food (I think) cause it seems the further north you go the more hashbrowns are used in their place. In "gritology", you have three types of grits. The instant grits and regular grits you can find readily at the stores then there is the old fashioned course grit which are still made at a few of the remaining grist mills.
Just another reason to feel sorry for the poor yanks. :p Hashbrowns are great, but no substitute for real, old-fashioned grits.

Thanx-now i know what grits and 'hashbrowns'(checked the web)are,i must just remember not to use that terminology here,they will think i've gone crackers! We make potato rosti's which seems to be similar to hashbrowns? I know the rosti's are quite a greasy affair.

Grits - in their pure form - are not greasy at all and many hospitals will feed them to heart patients. If you've never eaten grits and you get the chance be sure to try the cheese grits first. Cheese grits are delicious. Of course cheese grits with some sausage sprinkled on them is even more better. Then there is cheese grits with sausage and eggs mixed in them are even better than that. Remember what Bubba said about shrimps? You can do the same with grits. And with grits there is no reason for anyone to go hungry.

alisonb":3gdkyu6w said:
Thanx-now i know what grits and 'hashbrowns'(checked the web)are,i must just remember not to use that terminology here,they will think i've gone crackers! We make potato rosti's which seems to be similar to hashbrowns? I know the rosti's are quite a greasy affair.

I have tried grits a couple of times on my trips to the Atlanta area and Nashville.... I'll stick with hashbrowns. Hashbrowns should not be greasy, they should have been fried so the have a crunchy shell... they must be topped with 2 to 3 fried eggs, over easy, with salt and pepper added. then you mix the hash browns and eggs together, breaking the warm yolks to get a nice mushy delight. Have a few pieces of sausage or bacon or ham to add to the fork. A couple of pieces of buttered toast is required to help wipe the plate clean. Be sure to wash the bites down with a couple of cups of coffee ( I like mine with just a spoon of sugar, no cream).

Okay I made the mistake of going to the recipe page at 9 am.... but I know what I'm having for breakfast. :D

Alan

Alan":3cic5k1k said:
Okay I made the mistake of going to the recipe page at 9 am.... but I know what I'm having for breakfast.
Wow,that does sound good! How was it? Have you tried out the fried onion recipes yet?
There is a new fish take away that opened in town,i was chatting to the owner the other day and he let me taste something interesting-fried mussels in batter!
Always a first,very tasty.

Alan":242s5kzm said:
I have tried grits a couple of times on my trips to the Atlanta area and Nashville.... I'll stick with hashbrowns.
Now I must say that instant grits aren't good at all in my book, and quick grits are just okay, but real, 20 minutes of stirring and simmering, sho-nuf grits are fabulous. They are rare in restaurants though, and most people don't buy them to cook at home, even if they can find them. If you make it down this way again, you're welcome to breakfast at our place!

farmwriter":zp28tvtn said:
Alan":zp28tvtn said:
I have tried grits a couple of times on my trips to the Atlanta area and Nashville.... I'll stick with hashbrowns.
Now I must say that instant grits aren't good at all in my book, and quick grits are just okay, but real, 20 minutes of stirring and simmering, sho-nuf grits are fabulous. They are rare in restaurants though, and most people don't buy them to cook at home, even if they can find them. If you make it down this way again, you're welcome to breakfast at our place!

Warning! I have spoke to my wife and we both agree to hold you to this.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks,
Alan

alisonb":36rannyr said:
Mayonnaise(a dollop)
Spring onion-chopped
Salami/peperoni-chopped
Olives-chopped
Mix above together,spread on a slice of rye bread,sprinkle with cayenne pepper and microwave until melted.

Salami EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1hzl264n said:
alisonb":1hzl264n said:
Mayonnaise(a dollop)
Spring onion-chopped
Salami/peperoni-chopped
Olives-chopped

Salami EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
I'd bet his salami is a lot better than some of the crap called salami you are refering to.