Meadow Fescue Grass in New Seeding Mixture

Help Support CattleToday:

WHY FESCUE? FESCUE HAS A CP OF 12 % AND TDN OF 50% WELL FERTILIZED PLUS FESCUE CAUSES A CALCIUM PROBLEM IN BROODCOWS (TOO MUCH) PLUS HAVE YOU EVER EATEN BEEF THAT WAS RAISED ON FESCUE --- NASTY STUFF-- MIGHT AS WELL BE EATING BISON--- UNLESS YER IN THE JERKY BUSINESS.

MY TIP IS TO NOT RUIN A GOOD PATCH OF ALFALFA OR CLOVER WITH FESCUE.

simangus23":3jrnj1c6 said:
WHY FESCUE? FESCUE HAS A CP OF 12 % AND TDN OF 50% WELL FERTILIZED PLUS FESCUE CAUSES A CALCIUM PROBLEM IN BROODCOWS (TOO MUCH) PLUS HAVE YOU EVER EATEN BEEF THAT WAS RAISED ON FESCUE --- NASTY STUFF-- MIGHT AS WELL BE EATING BISON--- UNLESS YER IN THE JERKY BUSINESS.

:D Do you know how many cattle are raised on fescue ? Half the country would be out of the cattle business if there was no fescue.

How much do you have ?

I know Tenn. has alot :lol:

lots of fescue here in north arkansas to,stock piled fescue in the fall makes great winter pasture. It will also be first thing to green up in the spring. With out fescue here we would be out of busness. Should work to mix in with alf. clover if it don't take over. ate alot of beef rasied on fescue tasted fine but they was not super finishing simangus.

With over 300 cultivars of fescue, assuming that meadow fescue (Festuca pratensis)and KY31 tall fescue is like comparing a Great Dane and a Rat Terrier.

Meadow fescue is gaining popularity in the upper midwest. Tall fescue has trouble with winter hardness if there is no snow cover. Reed canary grows very very well in a 2 or 3 cut system, but it chokes out most legumes and has lower feed quality than fescue.

I planted a field of Barenburg meadow fescue and Big Wheel grazing alfalfa last spring. I got a fair stand even though we had the driest summer since 1976. I am planning a larger 63 acre new seeding this spring, and would appreciate any tips on what mixes well with meadow fescue???

I mostly graze stockers, I am cutting way back on N applications, and I am not afraid of bloat.

simangus23":335cd8kq said:

Bison is a delicacy and folks pay high dollars for a good bison steak. Course it has to be raised on Fescue to bring the most money. :lol2: :lol2: Sim....have you ever eaten bison ?? Where are you located ?? You seem to have an answer for whatever the problem is for every part of the country... and probably NZ and Tasmania.

Why Ky 31 because it cheap, hardy and here in west tn, nothing beats it... It is green now and it tough....I like clover,orchard,timoty, and ber. which is what I work hard at on the newest 50 ac. but the 25 ac. of 10 year in Ky31 looks and holds up the best. The new 50 has no grass except the rye i sow, the fescue is knee deep. That is why.

Steve,

I seeded a paddock last spring for grazing with 15 lbs Meadow Fescue, 10 lbs lbs perennial rye, 2 lbs of white clover and a pound of chichory. All varieties from barenbrug. I put this in for a higher energy paddock. P. Rye probably wont last, but the meadow fescue should last longer, I hope. Cows loved it... clipped once, and grazed twice last year.

I know this is a lot of seed, you may be able to get by with less Im not sure... when i mowed around the fences with the lawn mower it looks like a golf course.

Leave the chichory out.... a management nightmare.... bolts and they wont touch it, when it does this i up the stock density and make em trample it. If I had to do it over again, I would seed the mix, and put the chichory around the outside (my paddock is rectangular) that way the cows would have access to some every day but I could manage the bolting by clipping.

Let me know if you have other questions.

This is the third year on a medium tall and k-31 fescue,alfalfa,orchard grass mix. Had 3000 sm sq extra after I put my hay bye. Sold it all to local cattle guys in 2 weekends at 4 bucks a bale most have called asking if I have any more. Some want next years already, I figger they know somthin.