McDonalds Unfit to Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

I do not darken the door of McDonalds--period.
Whataburger--Oh YEAH!
Jack-in-thebox just for their fries.
BK--sometimes--now that they got rid of that creepy King..
McDonalds--never.

Braum's--they have one in Sulphur Springs Texas--good ice cream and great malts!!

Commercialfarmer":2bn6r9pb said:
I guess I'm in the minority. When I travel, I eat quite a bit of fast food. I can't stand to over pay for a meal and then have to pay a tax on top of that for mediocre service for filling my glass of water when I could do that myself. So I can't count the number of $1 cheese burgers and $1 large Ice teas I've stuffed down my face, along with the $1 sausage biscuit. You really can't even buy balogne, cheese, bread, and mayonaise for the same price. If I splurge, I eat Braum's- regional joint that started as a dairy and specializes in ice cream.

My wife made a hamburger last week that I'll never be able to look at another the same. It had real fat and was corn fed and she marinated it ground beef before grilling and through in some spectacular seasoning. I never knew a hamburger could be so good, I think she could go national with it. But if I can't eat at home, I try to eat cheap.
We're doing a big construction job right next to a Braum's, we have been going in there a few days a week just because we can step off the dozers and walk 50 feet to the door, and I can pay 1$ extra and have a chocolate malt with my plain chicken sandwich.

Y'all seem to like the act of eating more than me. i eat to make my stomach quit growling, whether it be the dollar menu at mcdonalds or a bbq burrito from the gas station.

heath":1r113clj said:
Y'all seem to like the act of eating more than me. i eat to make my stomach quit growling, whether it be the dollar menu at mcdonalds or a bbq burrito from the gas station.
I view it as the end result of my work and hobby. Didin't do all this work to feed myself and others just to stick a funnel in my mouth and shove it down--I want to enjoy my meal. My truck and tractors don't care what brand of fuel I pour in 'em, or even what it smells like as long as it will burn and produce energy. I'm not my truck.

I'm not sure about the chicken. We have a big company out here, George's, that raises their own birds and process, just at the smaller plant, just under a million birds EACH DAY, most times 6 days a week. George's chicken ends up at places like KFC, Walmart, Sams, Popeyes, Hardies, eateries like Mid-evil Times in Pasadena, CA. They also have bigger plants in Springdale, AR and Virgina. They do send exported product to China (they love the chicken feet!). But that is the chicken we eat (since hubby is the safety inspector at the MO plant). We also have Tysons in the area, that process just as much if not more!

I have looked for the web page, and can't find it. There used to be a web cam focused on a Big Mac. The Big Mac wasn't decomposing as it should. It kinda made you wonder what you were eating.

I do believe that probably most of the beef used at McDonalds probably is domestic. Some is probably imported, but I expect that the same can be said of most any eatery (especially chains), on any level. I don't eat a whole lot of McDonalds, but I don't mind it. Like CommercialFarmer, when I'm on the road, the double cheeseburger and iced tea from the value menu are my go to. The "Angus" burgers do seem to use a little better beef, though.

Additionally, McDonalds is the main corporate sponsor of the Oklahoma Youth Expo. I figure any corporation willing to put that kind of support behind our agricultural youth program deserves my support.

As far as other fast food goes, I can eat most any of it. I'm not a Taco Bell fan - I much prefer Taco Bueno or Taco Mayo. I like Arby's and Subway, cause sometimes I just can't do greasy. I noticed someone mentioned Subway weighing out their meat - I've never seen that here. In fact many of them around here will give you a very generous portion.

I've seen too much of what goes on in the kitchens to buy take aways from anywhere except KFC, there the chicken is submersed in hot oil and then transferred to ovens so hopefully all the germs are killed before I get to it :p

Jokes aside though, when McDonald's opened up here there was a worker's wage dispute on and a video came out showing worker's spitting on the food :yuck: :yuck: That sort of thing sticks in one's mind.

alisonb":1jg25nsn said:
I've seen too much of what goes on in the kitchens to buy take aways from anywhere except KFC, there the chicken is submersed in hot oil and then transferred to ovens so hopefully all the germs are killed before I get to it :p

Jokes aside though, when McDonald's opened up here there was a worker's wage dispute on and a video came out showing worker's spitting on the food :yuck: :yuck: That sort of thing sticks in one's mind.

That sort of thing can happen anywhere, though. That's just some idiot people - prob'ly as apt to find that in one brand as another. No doubt, it's hard to forget. I have a friend who will only eat fast food at Subway or Taco Mayo because it's prepared right in front of you.

Most of those places are franchises, with each establishment being owned by someone other than the corporate chain. Often an individual or group will own several stores in an area. Several of the KFC's in our area were apparently owned by the same group, who didn't seem to manage their operations very closely. These particular KFC's were known for very poor customer service. The story is that the corporation took their franchise away - they all closed for a time, some have re-opened under new management.

DLD":3nkf8enq said:
I do believe that probably most of the beef used at McDonalds probably is domestic. Some is probably imported, but I expect that the same can be said of most any eatery (especially chains), on any level. .
This came up in another thread recently--the increased importation of "crap" beef, while we export a lot of our better beef. Not so sure about that, since the USDA stats I recently looked at show a pretty flat line except for variety meats (guts--we don't eat much of).

Americans love their burgers and ground beef, and ground beef makes up over 50% of US consumer purchases of beef. Some places do advertise and sell things like "100% Angus" burgers, or even other breed specific patties, but in general, 75/25 or 80/20 non-specific breed ground beef makes up the lion's share of the US consumer market. We have recently seen a little better price support for quality carcasses in exportation than we have domestically, while hamburger has held it's own here especially since the economic downturn began in late 2008--early 2009. Why would US producers want to sell 100% of their quality carcasses here when they get better prices overseas? They wouldn't and you can't blame them. So we import "crap" carcasses and cut the roasts and steaks as select grade cuts and grind the rest, and export the choice/prime--big deal. Consumers set this standard--not the producer or even the exporter. (nothing wrong with a good "select" steak either IMO) So yes, there IS a US market for "100% Angus burger" type products, but for the biggest part of the US consumer demographic, they don't really care. If you add COOL into the equation tho, it changes somewhat, but overall, not very much.

I agree completely greybeard. But we still produce a lot of lower quality beef here in the US as well. Especially over the past few years of drought, huge numbers of cull cows (a lot of them skinny ones) have gone to slaughter. I know that not all the cow and bull meat gets ground up either, but even in average years, we kill an awful lot of cattle that aren't good for anything better than hamburger. Maybe I over estimate by saying most, but I'm sure some percentage of those end up in our fast food. Maybe more in grocery stores, though...

Back when I had the BBQ joint I also cooked a chicken-fried steak. I bought a 4 oz., whole muscle tenderized steak and freshly breaded it to order. This cost more and took a bit more time, so I charged more. The only other place in town that served a CFS at that time was the local Dairy Queen. He bought a frozen, breaded patty that was a vegetable protein glued together pieces of beef (I think it was beef). The thing was so tender you could cut it with a plastic fork and it had a good flavor.

Mine wasn't quite that tender as I served a plastic fork and knife to cut mine with. :lol: I always had complaints that mine was tougher than DQ's and I should buy better quality beef. I tried explaining it to people but it mostly fell on deaf ears because they always knew better. It's still a battle for those folks trying to do business here now. I'm thinking lots of people have forgotten what real beef is now days because they eat so much low quality stuff that's made to taste good.

Where's 3Way? I'm sure he can add some wisdom to this thread.

I've eaten those DQ "CFS" before---they are an insult to the genre. Any culinary establishment that can't or won't serve a genuine and decent CFS goes on my list of places to never darken their doors again--I don't care what else they may serve that is great. No CFS? Too bad.
Best I ever had was in a little place in San Angelo on Sherwood Way--the guy died and they closed, but it was a delight to eat.

slick4591":1zlae9s4 said:
Where's 3Way? I'm sure he can add some wisdom to this thread.

3Way said he was going on a hunting trip. Translated from Dago to southern English this means he is holed up in some motel far away from home drinking copious amounts of liquor and annoying other bar patrons with his liberal views and his charming demeanor. :hide:

Slick, I was building a smoke house and a fella in town asked what I was doing. I told him and he kept pestering me to bring him some bacon when I got it going. Every time I bumped into him he pressed me to get him some bacon when I finished the smokehouse. I finally finished and made a run and brought him a pound to try out. About two weeks later I saw him and asked how he liked it. He said he didn't care for it. It had a smoky flavor to it. :shock: :bang: Yes, we have idiots here too. And no, the customer isn't always right. Sometimes the customer is just an idiot.

Jogeephus":3s5iteta said:
Slick, I was building a smoke house and a fella in town asked what I was doing. I told him and he kept pestering me to bring him some bacon when I got it going. Every time I bumped into him he pressed me to get him some bacon when I finished the smokehouse. I finally finished and made a run and brought him a pound to try out. About two weeks later I saw him and asked how he liked it. He said he didn't care for it. It had a smoky flavor to it. :shock: :bang: Yes, we have idiots here too. And no, the customer isn't always right. Sometimes the customer is just an idiot.

Reminds me of trying beer can chicken out in my store. I used just a hot (electric) smoker to cook them with no wood, so it was more like an oven. Lady came in and ate the whole dam half of bird and when I checked on her she said I had left it in the smoke to long and didn't really care for it. Her husband looked at her, then slowly turned his head towards me and shook it. :lol2:

I always told my employees that the customer was not always right, but I was the only one that could tell them they were wrong. Worked out pretty well that way.

Jogeephus":3jac1joe said:
I had a guy that was new to hunting once ask me if there was any way to get the deer flavor out of deer meat, I told him he might rather hunt a chicken.

Latest posts