Maypop (passionflower) what will kill it in hay field?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I have been spot spraying Maypop (passionflower) in my hay fields for years. I have used 2-4D, Grazon, Remedy. It seems to kill it but it always comes back in the same spots and also in a few new spots. I can't fine it on any of my normal use lables.

Passion Flower is a tough one to control, much like carolina horsenettle. I did some research and found a trial in Georgia that showed PastureGuard having fair control where as other herbicides only had poor control. I know that to control carolina horsenettle (a perennial just like passion flower) you need to get it wet (a minimum of 20 gal/acre of water when spraying).

alabama":3f2vtzoz said:
I have been spot spraying Maypop (passionflower) in my hay fields for years. I have used 2-4D, Grazon, Remedy. It seems to kill it but it always comes back in the same spots and also in a few new spots. I can't fine it on any of my normal use lables.
I used Grazon P&D. It worked just fine. You have to keep after it as there will be a lot of seed that will continue to sprout.

Our experts here recommended using pasturegard. We did use it last June and again in Sept in places we obviously missed. ... :banana: We did not see any maypop this year.

Billy

2,4-d and remedy is what I've used. I Have it in an oat patch. Now that I'm no-tilling I'm making headway on it.

1982vett said:
2,4-d and remedy is what I've used. I Have it in an oat patch. Now that I'm no-tilling I'm making headway on it.

Thanks Vette. I think that's what I'm gonna try first. I've read mixed success stories with that blend, but PastureGuard is just too dang high for my taste. Sure don't want to spread it to my pastures through the hay.

JMJ Farms said:
1982vett said:

Thanks Vette. I think that's what I'm gonna try first. I've read mixed success stories with that blend, but PastureGuard is just too dang high for my taste. Sure don't want to spread it to my pastures through the hay.

Hope it works for you. I'd have to go see what's their now but the fact I can't recall is promising.....if I could just get the nightshade to go away. Hate that stuff.

Pasture guard HD worked for me. I was told it was the only thing to get Passion flower so I just went with it. Think I sprayed mine in July.