Maybe Start out with this ? 16.75 Acers Barn and house ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keep looking. This is half the land of the last one. Now you would be down to 3 cows and a bull. Losing proposition.

For the price it looks like a good homestead, just need to adjust your livestock to its carrying capacity, maybe you could use it as a home base and find some rental pasture to run some livestock on. Just start out slow and grow as you gain knowledge of how to manage livestock. the number one rule is you are a grass farmer before a rancher. Do not do as so many do with small places, stock it so heavy the grass dies and you have bare ground that erodes away an it looks ugly.

By all means start out with what you can afford. If you can let the land rest the first year, And
put down a little grass seed.

Every one of us started somewhere. You are obviously looking for a start.

If you are paying $600 a month rent, in ten months you have thrown out $6K and it is still not yours. In my opinion, buying something is better than renting.

Buy a place, improve it, and move on to something better suited for your life style.

The problem with buying a small place or a place with a sorry house is that when you get ready to sell it, someone with a lot of money is not going to be looking for a place like that.

If you are going to start small and within your budget, you are on the right track. Buy a place that has a lot of potential. You labor and time doesn't cost a lot. Improve, improve, improve. Make the place appealing. When you can afford to move on to something you like better, you will be able to get all your nickels back and then some.

You can always lease pasture provided you can at least break even on the bad years. Leasing pasture is not like renting in that the money you spend on lease is a business expense.

I don't know your budget and it is none of my business. What I am looking at is potential. I don't see a whole lot of potential in what you are showing in your posts. There is room for improvement in each but can you turn it later on down the road for a decent profit?

Well it already has cattle on it.. I seen at least 4 on it.. It has facilitys, stalls and eletric to the barn with a workshop and a working well on property also has a 1-2 acre pond on the land.. Has 29 acres adjacent to it.. so may be able to lease that part for cutting hay.. I plained on building 2 more rooms I know i can do that by myself... I think it would be big enough for a small Hobby farm.. I dont think I will ever make enough money to just run cattle for the rest of my life so thinking it may be the best deal and I can get a FHA loan on the home so that will make the payements alot lower and interest.. And when I have extra money put it towards the principal... Is this a good plain or no ?

Hoppy72450":3m3vsf6k said:
Well it already has cattle on it.. I seen at least 4 on it.. It has facilitys, stalls and eletric to the barn with a workshop and a working well on property also has a 1-2 acre pond on the land.. Has 29 acres adjacent to it.. so may be able to lease that part for cutting hay.. I plained on building 2 more rooms I know i can do that by myself... I think it would be big enough for a small Hobby farm.. I dont think I will ever make enough money to just run cattle for the rest of my life so thinking it may be the best deal and I can get a FHA loan on the home so that will make the payements alot lower and interest.. And when I have extra money put it towards the principal... Is this a good plain or no ?

It's a PLAN and that's more than most people have. If you spend your life looking for the perfect deal you will never find it. If this looks workable to you then GO FOR IT, and stop asking us what we all think. As you can see by the answers they are all different based on each person's perspective.

I like your guts. Now go use them for something constructive.

I may wait the more and more I look at this place what the realator says just isnt panning out.. She said about 14 acers was in pasture but I seen the google map. It looks like you would be lucky to have even 10 acers pasture land. Seems to be alot of trees and the pond looks like it is more like a dang lake..lol It looks like it is a 5 acere pond. So 16.75 acers take away 5 for pond and then another 5 in trees that only leaves about 6 acers of pasture not much for cattle.. I think it would be more of a place for a horse maybe 2 horses then anything else.. So maybe I neede to go back to looking at the 29.50 acers of flood land..lol

Hoppy72450":f699j5jn said:
I may wait the more and more I look at this place what the realator says just isnt panning out.. She said about 14 acers was in pasture but I seen the google map. It looks like you would be lucky to have even 10 acers pasture land. Seems to be alot of trees and the pond looks like it is more like a dang lake..lol It looks like it is a 5 acere pond. So 16.75 acers take away 5 for pond and then another 5 in trees that only leaves about 6 acers of pasture not much for cattle.. I think it would be more of a place for a horse maybe 2 horses then anything else.. So maybe I neede to go back to looking at the 29.50 acers of flood land..lol
I asked Jed about the flood deal he says all of the land up there in the bottoms is considered flood plains and requires flood insurance
also the flood land looks like you might be able to make a little money off of it by leasing it to someone to crop for a few yrs and help offset thye cost to finance your cows later on

Just a piece of advice that can help you in negotiations. If a piece of land has a small older home on it never pay for the home. I have bought 2 new pieces of property in the last 2 years with homes on them but I refuse to add any value to the home on the basis that "anyone that can afford to purchase this land ain't going to live in the house any way." I purchase the land on price per acre only. Then I take the old home, fix it up a little and boom! $400 a month rent to help my cows pay for the land. I have acquired 300 acres doing this. I only buy land that has an old home on it. Tell them "I will have to tear that house down, so I am not going to pay for it, and I don't want it sitting next to my new house." I now live in one of those old ranch houses that I was supposedly going to tear down. And collect rent off the other. When we build our new house we will be bringing in over $1000 per month on these old ranch homes. With you skill Hoppy, as a carpenter you could make this program work even better over the years. It takes a while to get started but I wish you the best. Just an idea.

GEEEEZ Hopalong who peed in your wheaties. Of all the posts on here that took you to the woodshed pretty hard you have to go off your rocker and get that mad at me for correcting one mispelled word. For the record I am not the first person on here who has told you that your spelling, grammer, and punctuation, are kinda strange.

How about backing off a little. All I did was compliment you and wish you well in one post and correct one word in another. You HAD to know it was not spelled correctly you have used the correct spelling in other posts before.

Apparently it embarassed you and I am truly sorry for that! :nod:

3waycross":dxzcybh6 said:
GEEEEZ Hopalong who peed in your wheaties. Of all the posts on here that took you to the woodshed pretty hard you have to go off your rocker and get that mad at me for correcting one mispelled word. For the record I am not the first person on here who has told you that your spelling, grammer, and punctuation, are kinda strange.

How about backing off a little. All I did was compliment you and wish you well in one post and correct one word in another. You HAD to know it was not spelled correctly you have used the correct spelling in other posts before.

Apparently it embarassed you and I am truly sorry for that! :nod:

"I could care less 3waycross just for the record"

Uh, just for the record, I take back my comment about the aluminum foil. I really would rather not be on anyones signature line. :hide: