maybe premie/ maybe just early? Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Hwy27

Reaction score
Question on an early calf...you could call her premie, her teeth are exposed, but she is really small. She was born on thursday (today being monday) I have given her some powdered collostrum, and some milk replacer. She seems to be getting weaker, any suggestions for a shot that can give her energy to keep going? She has been breathing good, gets up every hour or so. Cow is with her, keeping the calf covered at night to stay warm. Any suggestions will help. Thanks Hwy 27.

Thanks I'm headed for the feed store/vet right away. Hopefully we can save her! We're in Southeastern Oklahoma.

i would make sure mom is milking adequately too. sometimes they dont come into their milk like they need to when they have premies.

I would also provide heat for the full 24 hours, heat lamp style. A premie needs the extra warmth. Otherwise, any nutrition it gets is going get converted to enery to keep warm, with nothing left in reserve to maintain strength. Kind of like withdrawing $20.00 dollars everyday from your bank account and only depositing $10.00 a day. Eventually you use up your savings and have nothing to live on.

RR

Thanks for your input, since last writing I have been able to get 2 cups of milk replacement down her, then an hour later 2 cups of electrolites. Gave her a good bed in the sun. Will check on her next hour. Do you think that is giving her to much? Every label says like 2 qts per feeding, she wouldn't be able to handle that much. Thanks again, will keep you updated.

keep an eye on her. premies have a hard time regulating body heat. they can overheat just as easily as they get cold...

milk intake sounds ok. she will do better with smaller feedings frequently rather than large feedings a few times.

The replacer you are using is the all milk and milk by-products stuff I hope. The vegie based stuff will starve a calf with a full belly.

I'm using "sav-a-calf", I'm pretty sure its all milk but I'll check. Thanks

Quick update, the calf is still alive this morning! Will continue to feed every hour to see if we can get her stronger. Any other ideas let me know!

Hwy27":1lqfo5z1 said:
Quick update, the calf is still alive this morning! Will continue to feed every hour to see if we can get her stronger. Any other ideas let me know!

Other then maybe selenium if you haven;t given it to her and keeping her out of drafts and chills

I haven't given her any of that, but I looked on the label for the "sav-A-calf" and it says it has 120 ppm of selenium in it. Will this be enough? She seems alot stronger today, she was pretty close to death yesterday. Her eyes are open this morning, and she can lift her head! Any improvment is better than the alternative!

Hey ~ Good for you!! Sounds like you are doing what you should, watch not to over feed. Little bits often is the best policy. Sitting them in the sunshine is good too, I think people underestimate the benefit of that.

Keep it up and lots of luck :tiphat:

Thanks, It's supposed to warm up today, so I will probably move her to the sunshine later today for awhile. I made a wind break (20mph from the south) for her, and have a couple of towels covering just her body. I'm thinking of giving her a Vitamin B-12 shot, any comments?

I have been alternating from milk replacer with dextrose in the form of "sav-A-calf" Electrolytes plus, says it has 50% dextrose along with some other things. As before I am feeding her about a cup/or little more every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I did give her a B-12 shot. Thanks for your input, trying hard to save her!

Last update, I went to check the calf, she didn't make it. We all tried, and thanks to all of you for your input. Hopefully the rest of calving season won't been this tough!

dang. Well, it certainly wasn't due to lack of effort on your part. :tiphat:
Sounds like you were doing all the right things, sometimes thats just the way it goes.
Better luck next time, cause there will be a next time!

Latest posts