Maybe a silver lining to a bad situation!

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule

Reaction score
Remember my week and a half old twins that the mother died two days after birth? This morning we had a cow have a stillborn calf. We rubbed the dead calf all over the twins and let them nurse the momma cow a little bit while she was in the squeeze chute and squirted milk over both calves. We also took two washcloths and wiped them all over the dead calf and then tied them around the twins necks. Also poured a little of Mom's urine on each calf.

The cow is trying to get the calves to nurse her, and so far the boy twin has nursed her outside of the squeeze chute but the female does not act hungry at the moment. In all fairness, she probably is not hungry because we fed her a bottle this morning and she did nurse the cow in the squeeze chute later in the morning.

Ever had a calf reject a milking momma cow? I think my wife and I have the cow ready to do her job with the twins, but this heifer is gonna have to learn milk now comes from an udder, and not a bottle. The bull took his udder feeding and is napping.

No sooner had I submitted this post than the mama cow walked over to the heifer and stepped right over the top of her to get her to stand up. The cow wanted to be suckled and I guess the heifer decided she might be a little hungry so she began nursing the cow.

This Cow is my favorite and if she will take these twins off our hands, she will have earned a second chance for the upcoming breeding season.

They'll usually only reject the cow when they're tired of getting kicked in the head, or there's something wrong with the milk.

I guess that is a silver lining.. Hunger will make the heifer figure it out, but might need another run into the chute and a bit of convincing.. With luck, brother will teach her!