May photo contest - best meat

Help Support CattleToday:

Huh. I took some pictures of some steaks we just got back from the butcher, but didn't think to take one of the inside. Maybe this will do for now, and if I have some more before the end of the month, I'll remember to cut it open and THEN take a pic. (These are all 1.5" cut, which I like best, and they cook up nice and crusty on the outside, deep pink on the inside, YUM!)

05-18-21 LJ filet mignon 02.jpg

05-20-21 LJ sirloins 01.jpg

05-20-21 LJ sirloins 02.jpg

I knew I would get that kind of response when I typed it. I like my meat well done.
My wife and mother in law would agree with you. I can be looking at mine lamenting that I didn't get it off the grill in time, and they are running back out putting theirs back on the grill. Y'all must have better teeth than I got 😊

A friend asked for 2" steaks from a steer he had butchered.
He later said, it was a big mistake. That they were too difficult to cook properly. He said the first couple of times he tried they turned out more like roasts than steaks. And even when he got them to turned out, after the first 2 or 3 bites the rest of the steak got cold and needed to be reheated. He said, "Never Again, they look impressive, but too thick isn't worth it."

Just relaying what he said, I've never had a 2" steak we usually do 1 inch.

I have no trouble with 2" ribeyes like in my photo. I'd prefer 1.5" just because of the amount of steak. I ate it all but was at my limit lol. My 120 pound wife ate most of it but had to share a little with Bailey our lab.

The key (at least how i do it) to steaks this thick is to do a reverse sear. I put them on my rec tec pellet grill on the lowest setting which also gives a little smoke. I think this is around 180 degrees. They sit there and cook on low for an hour or so then they get taken off And the grill is turned up to its highest setting (500 or so) and they get maybe 3 minutes a side to get a good crust.

I can assure you these were melt in your mouth and nothing like a roast. If you try to cook them like a regular steak you will be frustrated. They will usually be borderline burnt on the out and cold and raw in the middle or if you try to get it done throughout you have to cook on medium heat and for a long time and it will be tough (roast like).

I have no trouble with 2" ribeyes like in my photo. I'd prefer 1.5" just because of the amount of steak. I ate it all but was at my limit lol
If you try to cook them like a regular steak you will be frustrated. They will usually be borderline burnt on the out and cold and raw in the middle or if you try to get it done throughout you have to cook on medium heat and for a long time and it will be tough (roast like).
Yes, that makes sense and aligns with what he said.
He said, he didn't know what got into him to order 2" steaks other than he
thought it would be cool.

He was lamenting the fact that he didn't know what he was doing and had ruined a lot of good meat in the process. It is a shame to ruin high quality, expensive meat due to ignorance. But then again my sister-in-law has been doing it for years. :) lol

Last edited:
The roasts we have had have all been fork tender, but we cook them in a crockpot for around 8 hours. We use the slow and low method for cooking roasts and even lesser cut ones can be pretty tender, For steaks, I prefer 1 inch thickness and grill them on a fairly hot grill relatively fast depending on the temperature of the fire.

I assume you fed that beef out? What was the breed and how did you feed and finish? That is some nice marbling on those steaks.
Yes, thanks. The steer was red, so maybe red angus? He had a brother that was black so maybe he's part black angus. He was one of our stockers we were raising, and I decided to keep him because he fattened up the best. He was thick like a linebacker before I started feeding him out. I fed a mix of corn, soyhull pellets, and ddg through a creep feeder for the last 4 months. I think it was 65% corn, 25% soyhull pellets, and 10% ddg. They also had free choice hay.

He hung at 928 lbs, and so far I'm very satisfied with the meat.

Blood showing in meat I will not eat. I ate with some folks a few days ago who ordered their steak rare as you could see the blood oozing out when they cut it up. I will pass. If I order mine well done and it comes with pink in it I want send back to have cooked more either. I have heard to many stories from folks working in the restaurant business when it comes back for more cooking it gets a big cud added. From the looks of some of these folks working in some of these places I eat at home a lot.
Fellow by the name of Ulysses S. Grant was said to only eat meat that was cooked dry, so that puts you in good company but I can't stand it that way myself. When grilling steaks here, I have to give the wife's a head start. Don't cook my egg yolks solid either.

Fellow by the name of Ulysses S. Grant was said to only eat meat that was cooked dry, so that puts you in good company but I can't stand it that way myself. When grilling steaks here, I have to give the wife's a head start. Don't cook my egg yolks solid either.
Old Ulysses was a good guy. I wish we had more like him.

well-done-steak.png

Ya'll please cast your vote by clicking the like button on the photo you liked for the May photo contest. The late day for voting is end of the day June 1. well cause I forgot to remind ya'll to vote. 🙄 It's all good we will get it done. 😊 Hope everyone had a great Memorial weekend. Thanks everybody that entered the Photo contest and supports it. 😁

E14, Chaded, and WB Angus has any of ya'll come up with a topic for June's phone contest? Or would you like a prize? Doesn't really matter what topic you chose we have had a little of everything just something you would enjoy seeing. Can be farm related or something else if you refer that all up to ya'll. 😊

If ya'll can't come up with anything I'm sure I can. 😁😝

Latest posts