May have asked this before. Looking for ideas on a diy fish feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Anyone ever built their own fish feeder? Been thinking about maybe using a spinner type deer feeder but can't figure out how to keep 1/2 the feed from flying out on the bank or pier. Needs to be solar or battery powered..no 110v down at the ponds. I've looked at the Moutrie fish feeders, which seem to be modified deer feeders. all have poor reviews.
Mounting it out in open water is not an option for me.
M-5, you tinker with lots of stuff...
Any ideas?

Simple solution would be to just hang it on a swivel pole so you can just swing it out over the pond , A deflector could be mounted to bottom of the bucket so half of the feed drops straight down the other half would sling out . The gate type fish feeders do have a bad track record. I know a guy that has spend a pile on them and they still only work a few months.

Long pipe is 23/8 x 24 foot. and post is 23/8 slide into a piece of 3" pipe driven about 7 feet deep. Braced with diagonal. Handle built where you can swing it in to fill it. Simply hanging it low helps with slinging to far. Just don't get it below high water mark. Also the timers with a speed setting helps control distance.

Thanks.
That "keep it above high water mark' might be a problem at my place, but not insurmountable.
I sure wish I had built one in 2011 when the pond levels were at an all time low...I built my dock without even getting muddy boots.

The swinging pole idea is on my list of things to build, but another idea that my grandfather used years ago was a simple cable/pulley running over the pond. This was long before there were feeders, not that he'd have spent money on one. He built a wire cage and would shoot ground hogs, put them in the cage, and run it out over the pond so the maggots would fall in.

they make a deer feeder that only shoots feed in one direction. that is what I use. it is 12 volt. I will take pic when I return . it does not shoot as far as a regular feeder does but about ten feet.

I use to have a milk crate hanging from a dock that I would put rotten meat in it , It was about 4 to 6 inches off the water and the bass would jump out of the water and hit it to make the maggots fall of in the water. I know that's not the kind of feeder you are looking for but was kind of neat to watch.

B-i-L has a bug zapper hanging over his pond at end of his dock. Good for the bream--they boil the water when the dead bugs fall, but it's a pita to keep the grids cleaned off. (I can't use that plan..no electricity)

I have bought the deer feeder components. Now just got to find some decent weather to go down and build it.

Latest posts