Max price on a Bull for commercial use

Help Support CattleToday:

Just bought two bulls last night at the Quaker Hill Farm sale. Thought the bulls looked decent and price was definitely right.

Quaker Hill Smokin 9U12 (Heifer Bull) sired by KCF Bennett Summation

CED +15 WEPD +71 YEPD +136 DOC +35 $W +82 $B +138

Paid $2600

Quaker Hill Summation 9U26 another Summation sired bull

CED +10 WEPD +86 YEPD +150 DOC +24 $W +95 $B +165

Paid $3200

I didn't make it to the sale but I heard they sold right. I am good on bulls right now but sometimes you upgrade or replace when the right deal comes along.

If you went in person you must not be to far up the road from me. What part of VA you in?

The rules of genetics don't change because you want them to. Each parent contributes 50% to the offspring. That in fact doesn't mean that they give each offspring the same 50%. If you want proof then just go to a bigtime bull sale and inspect the results of a major league flush. They can be and are all over the place. Also when purchasing bulls for commercial herds you can greatly affect the replacements by selecting bulls with highly maternal EPD's. Such as Milk Plus or minus depending on the requirements of your environment, Stayability, and calving ease maternal.
Well look what the cat dragged in. Good to hear from you Vic. Is this your first recent post or have I missed something? Are you still breeding your Gelbvey's and Balancer's.

Ken

Being that Bull sale season is on or near the end.. what is your max price for buying a bull to use in a Commercial Herd?
Some sales you see they go up to 10 grand or higher and they go to a non purebred ranch. Some of us wonder how can that pay for himself. I think my max would be 5-6000.
Maybe some of you smart cookies have a formula I can use.
5 weaned calves would be max
550 lb x 1.50 = 825 x 5 = 4,125
550 lb x 1.75 = 963 x 5 = 4,815
550 lb x 2.00 = 1,100 x 5 = 5,500

4 weaned calves
825 x 4 = 3,300
963 x 4 = 3,850
1,100 x 4 = 4,400

3 weaned calves
825 x 3 = 2,475
963 x 3 = 2.900
1,100 x 3 = 3,300

2 fed steers would = 1400 lbs x 1.25 = 3,500

I didn't make it to the sale but I heard they sold right. I am good on bulls right now but sometimes you upgrade or replace when the right deal comes along.

If you went in person you must not be to far up the road from me. What part of VA you in?
Our farm is in Culpeper and Madison Counties. We aren't but 15ish minutes from the Knight's place where the sale was held.

Gotcha, that's some beautiful country up there. I was thru Culpeper on Friday delivering a horse. I am about an hour+ south in Cumberland. I have bought several including my current bull thru Quaker Hill.

Gotcha, that's some beautiful country up there. I was thru Culpeper on Friday delivering a horse. I am about an hour+ south in Cumberland. I have bought several including my current bull thru Quaker Hill.
First time I've purchased from Quaker Hill. Bulls seem to be enjoying their heifers since turn out a few days ago. We will see about their longevity. One was a little more conditioned than I would have liked but again I thought he was great for the price.

Most of my herd bulls are from Knoll Crest Farm down closer to you. Picked up another bull at their most recent sale and they sold better than I was expecting!

I have had good luck with them but have a small herd. Looks like you still got KC genetics just mildly diluted. They have a great reputation . I have never personally owned one of theirs but have been around a bunch. Hope all your new purchases perform well for you.

Well look what the cat dragged in. Good to hear from you Vic. Is this your first recent post or have I missed something? Are you still breeding your Gelbvey's and Balancer's.

Ken
Hey Ken good to hear from you too. No I sold out a couple of years ago. Been retired since 2015. All I do now is hunt, fish, garden, play with the grandkids and chase the better half around the house.

Hey Ken good to hear from you too. No I sold out a couple of years ago. Been retired since 2015. All I do now is hunt, fish, garden, play with the grandkids and chase the better half around the house.
2015 was the right time to cash out. Well done, we'll probably never see those prices again!

Being that Bull sale season is on or near the end.. what is your max price for buying a bull to use in a Commercial Herd?
Some sales you see they go up to 10 grand or higher and they go to a non purebred ranch. Some of us wonder how can that pay for himself. I think my max would be 5-6000.
Maybe some of you smart cookies have a formula I can use.
I have a Hereford bull, he is on the market for sale.
His calves all have been born unassisted, they have narrow shoulders and hips. I have not lost a single calf of his. Gentleman bull. The most approachable from the entire herd. You could sit on his back when he is chewing his cud. I am asking for $ 3000. He could be registered.

Is it too much?
The difference is know him, I have his calves to show, would I pay for a replacement bull like him $3000, absolutely, except I can not find a bull like him. Would I pay more - probably if I trusted the seller.

In my region the price of a bull is : weight x by current auction price.

Latest posts