Max price on a Bull for commercial use

Help Support CattleToday:

My comment has nothing to do with quality I'm just speaking to the high cost of keeping an animal alive that long and all the expenses that go along with it. Packer prices on a bull of that size are not far off from that.

It's just basic math.
A packer bull is usually considerable older and heavier than a new replacement.

I have marketed and bought for our own ranch several hundred bulls over the years for a friend of mine who does a pretty fair job of raising them.

One prospective buyer I talked with years ago made a very valid point. He asked what an average bull was worth and then asked how much more money for one of the top bulls.... There was about $2500 difference at that time.

His reply was that it wasn't much money to get the extra power was it... Has stuck with me.

I dont see how a person can sell a breeding age bull for less than $2000. That would make me a skeptical.
They can't, that is why sales up here are mostly putting a $3500 floor price on yearling bulls because smaller breeders can hang them up and sell locker beef for as much or more than that. And to be more specific, I wouldn't want to use most any of the floor price bulls as they would cost far more than they are worth.

Well, this is (rather, was) my neighbors' bull. Not sure if he was home-grown or was purchased for $100. Ugliest thing I've ever seen and so skinny, looking from behind, you'd think it was a dairy-breed cow until you looked south. Neighbor calved year 'round but that old boy got 'em all bred. Side note: his cows are probably even uglier than the bull. BUT that bull died of old age. I have no idea how many unintentional heifers he bred and how many calves my neighbor lost, nor do I know how well he did at the sale barn when he loaded up the calves a couple times a year & weaned them on the trailer.

The point is: You do you!

That nasty bull worked just fine for my neighbor. My breeder is phenomenal and will take the time to go through all the EPD's/registrations of my previous bulls and select bulls that will not only fit, but improve my operation. I don't think I've paid more than $4K for one of his bulls.IMG_20190505_153445150_TOP.jpg