Maui Jim(sp?)

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
A partial interest and partial possession was sold in the Rodgers sale. Anyone know what he brought? I read with interest what Frank Rodgers had to say about him, regarding how light he was on his feet when breeding, and that he was as easy keeping as they came. Also mentioned his very broad chest floor and thickness end to end, etc. The phenotype I expected, but not necessarily the real world prowess. It's one thing to read about the latest and greatest big money or show winning bull in a full color ad in HW, but another when someone of Mr. Rodgers experience says it.

One thing that is interesting to me??? Maybe no one else?

Maui Jim or an interest has sold what three or four times in the last 18 months?
Why doesnt anyone want to hold onto him? Are they cashing out high?
Know something we dont? Or just thats the way it broke down with this bull?

I think if he was a breed changer, I would want him...

If he is just the latest flash well let go when the shine is brightest!

I dont know just found it interesting?

redfornow":8f9zhz4v said:

Maui Jim or an interest has sold what three or four times in the last 18 months?

It doesn't matter much who has physical possesion of the bull. If there are multiple owners, they are probably selling semen and that can be shipped almost anywhere. We were told that the original owners of the Angus bull Midland made their investment back in less than a year by selling "pieces" of him to other breeders. Those high dollar bulls may not spend much time in the pasture actually breeding cows, though I do know of some owners who use their bulls when they're home from the collection facility.

Frankie":1qzzs8jh said:
redfornow":1qzzs8jh said:

It doesn't matter much who has physical possesion of the bull. If there are multiple owners, they are probably selling semen and that can be shipped almost anywhere. We were told that the original owners of the Angus bull Midland made their investment back in less than a year by selling "pieces" of him to other breeders. Those high dollar bulls may not spend much time in the pasture actually breeding cows, though I do know of some owners who use their bulls when they're home from the collection facility.

They sold I think 1/4 interest in denver two years ago.
Then the other half, this season. (went for less than the quarter if my memory serves)
Now he is "for sale" again. Interesting marketing at best?

I wouldnt use a quarter million dollar bull natural service, would be silly to...

He sure puts some nice front ends on his heifers. I can't speak for the productivity as the 2 heifers that I have are just yearlings.

Apparently Rodgers did use him natural service. And you know he is insured high. And if he did perish young, then that would probably be to the benefit of those selling semen on him.

I'm a believer that a bull needs to prove himself in natural service.

greenwillowhereford II":3mpk5b7x said:
Apparently Rodgers did use him natural service. And you know he is insured high. And if he did perish young, then that would probably be to the benefit of those selling semen on him.

I'm a believer that a bull needs to prove himself in natural service.

I agree. If no one used him in natural service how would you know any bulls he produced would be "pasture-ready"?

I've seen some bulls that didn't seem to know what to do. I wonder if that is a result of lack of proving a bull in the pasture, then transmitting that to the succeeding generations.

I don't care what they cost, they ought to be able to breed a few cows a stay healthy, or they are not worth collecting semen on. The problem is the owners end up paying too much for the bull and have to collect him right away to recoup some of their investment while his name and selling price is still fresh in peoples minds and before people find out he's just another over hyped dud.

As one of the breeders who was part of the syndicate that purchased the first interest in Maui Jim in the Denver sale, I can give my reasons for buying in at that time. Simply, he was the best young bull, with the exact pedigree I was looking for, that had come available in a couple of years and the buy-in was reasonably inexpensive - $2500 for 50 units of semen plus the ability to buy certs at cost - and a discount on future semen purchases.

I didn't use the semen early on, like some of the syndicate breeders did, because about the time I was going to use some of it the "facts" concerning IE were coming out and I knew it was possible for Maui Jim to have gotten the IE gene through either his sire or his dam. So I've waited until the test for IE was perfected and Maui Jim was tested as IE free before using any of the semen.

With the cloud over him at the time, I wasn't too surprised that Maui Jim brought less for the possession interest sold at the Denver sale the next year and, although he's since been tested as IE free (and DL free), with the current economic conditions, it doesn't surprise me that interest brought less when resold in the dispersion sale.

When you look at Maui Jim's performance pedigree report, the initial numbers of his progeny look good - below avg BW and above average WW. I've also heard several good reports regarding the quality of his calves.

I was also impressed with what Mr. Rodgers had to say about him in his footnotes in the sale catalog. I'm looking forward to using that semen.

George

George,

Great reasons to buy into the bull.
I know from talking to you, that you have a plan in place that's bigger
Than one bull.
My real question is why do you feel Maui jim is almost always worth
more in cash than his owners believe he is worth as an asset?
As you already stated they sold the second time at what should or could have been an all time low....

I like the bull, but he is looking more and more like a marketing idea?
Interesting bull? I will be watching him in the future.

redfornow":16tphdyj said:
George,

Great reasons to buy into the bull.
I know from talking to you, that you have a plan in place that's bigger
Than one bull.
My real question is why do you feel Maui jim is almost always worth
more in cash than his owners believe he is worth as an asset?
As you already stated they sold the second time at what should or could have been an all time low....

I like the bull, but he is looking more and more like a marketing idea?
Interesting bull? I will be watching him in the future.

Looking at Maui Jim from Colyer's standpoint, they primarily have an A.I. focused operation, so the only part of a bull they really need possession of is his semen. They have always hedged their bets on the top bulls they've raised, usually selling a partial interest in them before they hit the show circuit, then usually selling possession later. They still get to use the bulls by A.I. plus get a part of any semen and certificate sales. It looks like a very sound plan to me!

As far as I'm concerned, most all these hyped bulls are primarily "marketing ideas" in the beginning. Until they are proven, it's largely speculation and there's no doubt some end up as money losers for those that bought in early. Looking at the show winning bulls of the past few years, there's been a lot more of them ultimately prove out to be average than live up to the original hype, as far as I'm concerned. But some also prove out as sires - like Online did. Dusty Rhodes was able to recoup his $100,000 investment in Pure Gold(1/3 interest) through semen and cert sales alone and I'd bet DeShazer did very well on the investment they made in Moler.

George