Maui Jim, About Time and Git-R-Done

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I"ll be at sale at the end of the month that will have Maui Jim on display and Spilt Butte will be there. I'm looking forward to seeing Maui Jim up close. His semen will be for sale there and I'm assuming Split Butte will have Get-R-Dones semen also. Also Genex is advertised as being there with About Time's semen. Don't know if I'll buy any, don't know if they will fit my program, for example Maui Jim is grandsire is horned (Pure Gold), not sure how much horn I want to bring in. Any thoughts on these three bulls?

C Maui Jim ET
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 6&9=5B5A59

SB 122l Git-R-Done 19R ET
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 02023&9=55

CRR About Time 743
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... F2726&9=5E

Thanks,
Alan

I think it looks like most of Maui Jim's pedigree is horned except the top. I f you dont want horns you may not want to use him.

About time is unproven. Dont know to much about him.

I guess I cant help you much. Try and get some pics for us. Looking forward to seeing or hearing what you do use this year. Thanks JHH

What do you expect from those bulls? Herefords that produce carcass values similar to continental breeds? Herefords that produce big show animals with high birth weight? What about feed efficency, maternial qualities, and calving ease for commercial herds? I suppose that I'm just barking up the wrong tree because the AI companies are promoting them, but they do not meet the criteria that I want to promote in my herd.

I guess that gives some insight to what I think about those bulls. Sorry for the rant against what other people believe the breeding direction of Herefords should be. I'm sure that they will probably out sell any cattle that I produce.

Alan in all sincerity I wish you the best of luck with your cattle endeavor.
I should have kept my opinions to myself again.
Who is it that says "shut up xxx" about themself? That should be my line.

LFF":1hka4900 said:
What do you expect from those bulls? Herefords that produce carcass values similar to continental breeds? Herefords that produce big show animals with high birth weight? What about feed efficency, maternial qualities, and calving ease for commercial herds? I suppose that I'm just barking up the wrong tree because the AI companies are promoting them, but they do not meet the criteria that I want to promote in my herd.

I guess that gives some insight to what I think about those bulls. Sorry for the rant against what other people believe the breeding direction of Herefords should be. I'm sure that they will probably out sell any cattle that I produce.

LFF, I guess this is proof that we, as Hereford breeders, aren't of similar thought. Because I like ALL of these bulls!

Right now, they are all about breed average for BW, so I'm not sure they qualify for that "high birth weight" handle you laid on them.

Maternal qualities? All of their dams did OK on their natural calves before they were put in donor programs. It's still a little early to know how these bull's daughters are going to do.

And I don't know if it actually qualifies as "feed efficiency", but Maui Jim has been lauded for his "easy-keeping ability".

Maui Jim is scurred and definitely should be heterozygous polled, so he's going to pass on the horned gene about half the time. I'm not sure about the others.

George

LFF":3gm0j278 said:

Not a problem, you may of notice I tend to rant a little also. None of the bulls really trip my trigger to much. I'm looking forward to seeing Maui Jim, but his EPD's don't jump out at me. I like Get-R Done's EPD's great REA, good BW, with a really nice spread between BW and YW. His offspring have done pretty well in the show ring. I don't have any Online influnce in my herd, although I have an Online son in my tank already. But then again it appears his semen is up $100 per straw and another bull "in limited supply".

Alan

George, I think it really has to do with the end goal. Obviously you and Ken have very different goals you wish to accomplish, so of course you both are going to be using different bulls to accomplish them. Maui Jim will definitely not be adding marbling, which some would argue needs to be one of the Hereford Breeds main focus right now. I never really have liked git-r-done, but about time I can atleast live with, though I'd probably use his sire over him. If your trying to produce show calves though, these bulls might be at the top of the list, but I'd probably stick with something a little more proven.

"LFF, I guess this is proof that we, as Hereford breeders, aren't of similar thought. Because I like ALL of these bulls!

Right now, they are all about breed average for BW, so I'm not sure they qualify for that "high birth weight" handle you laid on them.

Maternal qualities? All of their dams did OK on their natural calves before they were put in donor programs. It's still a little early to know how these bull's daughters are going to do.

And I don't know if it actually qualifies as "feed efficiency", but Maui Jim has been lauded for his "easy-keeping ability".

Maui Jim is scurred and definitely should be heterozygous polled, so he's going to pass on the horned gene about half the time. I'm not sure about the others."
George
We don't need to have a similar goal. Being diverse provides others with options.

According to statements like this and from the association about birth weight ,breed average of Herefords still need to be lower.
" by Frankie on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:56 pm
Yikes. You do know that a 3.6 lb Hereford EPD is comparable to an Angus 6+ BW EPD? Good luck with them...."

From calves that I've seen out of the three bulls and the programs they are from you can expect 1400+ pound mature cows. I know that is the type that impress some people when they are looking to buy cattle, however too many studies have proved the most efficient cow size is much less. Large cows will require more inputs to do OK on their natural calves. How the cows have been feed along with their calves they produce will determine if they meet my requirments for maternial qualities and feed efficiency.

LFF":1cnw2cv3 said:
George
We don't need to have a similar goal. Being diverse provides others with options.

I agree with this statement 100%!

As far as BW goes, I think emphasis on it can be overdone...and I've seen posts from some good Angus breeders who agree with me.

As far as these three bulls go, I think they are all more moderate than other contemporary "show bulls" such as Bright Future, Reload, and Rambo.

I will probably never use About Time, but, to me, he sure looks like a step in the right direction for many breeders.

George

I will probably never use About Time, but, to me, he sure looks like a step in the right direction for many breeders.

I agree. Many of the "moderate" bulls from the past would look like a racehorse next to him.

The hereford breed needs to get away from late maturing long legged, light boned, light muscled, poor milking, gutless wonders and get the BW in check and start paying attention to the weak points that has hurt our bull market over the years.

I saw where R-done bull now has a "limited supply of semen" $100/straw. They should have renamed him, "Git-R-done-quick" it would have made for a good sales slogan. " He's a Online son, use him now, make it quick, he probably won't make it passed a 3 year old" :) The online legend continues. :roll: ;-)

rocket2222":2xwejopu said:
I saw where R-done bull now has a "limited supply of semen" $100/straw. They should have renamed him, "Git-R-done-quick" it would have made for a good sales slogan. " He's a Online son, use him now, make it quick, he probably won't make it passed a 3 year old" :) The online legend continues. :roll: ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've got a few embryos by Git-R-Done in the bunch I got from the DeShazer Dispersion. I'm going to keep that Git-R-Done-Quick name in mind in case one or more of the calves is a bull!

George

Latest posts