mature cow range meal consumption per day?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I know it's dependent on lots of things but...
With 'not-the-best' hay available all the time, and no green forage at all, what's an average daily consumption rate per animal for 2:1 or 3:1 range meal?

greybeard":3donlye7 said:
With 'not-the-best' hay available all the time, and no green forage at all, what's an average daily consumption rate per animal for 2:1 or 3:1 range meal?

GB after 1st day it should be no more than 3-4 lbs. per head per day.

Good to know, thanks TB. I have pretty decent hay (primarily alfalfa, brome & Bermuda) but just upped my cubes to 3.235 lbs for the cows/bulls/calves and 3.142 for the heifers. Soon as the brutal cold passes I'll slack off a bit. But they also always have access to 30% Smart Lick protein tubs & loose mineral.

Sounds about right.
3, maybe 4# per day/hd is about what I've seen in the past but this winter, consumption is way down, and the weather has been a lot colder. Maybe my hay is better than I thought. Got it from somewhere different in late Sept, Late, I guess 3rd cut bahia/coastal mix because my original hay was ruined by high water, but I'd be surprised if they are eating more RM than 1 1/2 lb per day each.
(Hay wasn't tested and I'm not going to test it at this late stage of the game)

Is there some reason they would not consume as much in a cold winter as in a milder one?

TexasBred":o4a75dlb said:
greybeard":o4a75dlb said:
ok

GB after 1st day it should be no more than 3-4 lbs. per head per day.

GB I feed a 1-1-1 33% CSM,corn and salt and mine will go through about what TB said. On 2-1-1 corn,CSM and salt they can chow down on double as much.

Latest posts