math problem

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
My son had this math problem that if I do not get the answer to it, I may lose my mind. Seems so easy, yet it just doesn't work out. It is as follows:

On the first day of the year, Diego had $700, and he spent $25 a week. His brother had $450 and saved $15 a week. How many weeks will it take for them to have the same amount? What is that amount?

Any ideas?

GMN

GMN":2891v01t said:
My son had this math problem that if I do not get the answer to it, I may lose my mind. Seems so easy, yet it just doesn't work out. It is as follows:

On the first day of the year, Diego had $700, and he spent $25 a week. His brother had $450 and saved $15 a week. How many weeks will it take for them to have the same amount? What is that amount?

Any ideas?

GMN

6 weeks Diego has spent $150 leaving $550. Bro has saved $90 for $540.

7 weeks Diego has $525. Bro has $555.

Doesn't work out. Must have something to do with "On the first day of the year" part as a trick or else Diego spent at the first of the week and bro had his $15 saved at the end. Maybe they want the fraction. Maybe I am missing something.

MShaffer":1kes97ff said:
x = number of weeks

700 - 25X = 450 + 15X
700 = 450 +40X
250 = 40X
6.25 = X

Thanks, I was thinking it had to be a quarter number. $543.75 works out-problem solved! My mind can rest now.

GMN

GMN":1ahl410c said:

Any ideas?

GMN

Darn GMN I had to think wayyyyy back to figure that one out. And we thought we would never have to use algebra in adulthood. :lol2:

Latest posts