Maternal Gems 2023

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We had picture day for at the farm on Sunday Mark Sims from http://simsplusllc.com/ took some nice shots of a few of the Gizmo girls being offered in the 2023 Maternal Gems sale. we recruited one of the Granddaughters to assist this year and having the young legs and energy to run around getting the cows attention sure helped!7A85F9CB-76D0-4792-950B-A314B0DDF62F.jpegCC82313A-17E7-4C75-B025-BB6DE848EDA5.jpeg2860473D-B8E9-4D61-BBB7-7AE5639C3F37.jpeg87F80F6D-A6CB-4001-875B-D9930E60A566.jpeg243521B7-2CD3-48AF-AAB9-33BCFD640206.png6CFB20C2-2E63-4DE9-975B-A08C683E1010.png

Gizmom - you captured some great shots. People that have not had "picture day" cannot understand the pressure that day brings!!
We did our's a week ago. We had already cancelled once because it rained all day. The next day was a good day, but the photographer and us had to go to a Celebration of Life. Sooo, postponed to the next day. Froze our hiney's off. 28F with gusts of wind wanting to blow you over. Few snow flurries, couple glimpses of sunshine.
Looks like you had a good day and some great help. Few pics you posted of cattle look awesome. Of course, you have great cows - they always look good. But, trying to get "that shot" is soooo time consuming. When we were finished, I said "I am whipped - I feel OLD for the first time in my life!"

L
Gizmom - you captured some great shots. People that have not had "picture day" cannot understand the pressure that day brings!!
We did our's a week ago. We had already cancelled once because it rained all day. The next day was a good day, but the photographer and us had to go to a Celebration of Life. Sooo, postponed to the next day. Froze our hiney's off. 28F with gusts of wind wanting to blow you over. Few snow flurries, couple glimpses of sunshine.
Looks like you had a good day and some great help. Few pics you posted of cattle look awesome. Of course, you have great cows - they always look good. But, trying to get "that shot" is soooo time consuming. When we were finished, I said "I am whipped - I feel OLD for the first time in my life!"
it is stressful and more work than people realize. We recruited one of the grands to help she was a life saver something about having young legs to run around acting cra cra really helped! She was so excited on the first couple but by the time we finished she realized it was a chore lol. Thanks for the kind words on the cows I won't complain about a few showers at least is was warm I don't do cold well at all

They look great, give us a little info on them please.
Thanks the E31 cow is from the Duchess cow family that traces to the great Graham Duchess 55 cow on the bottom on top she is an SAV Priority. She has a stunning heifer calf at side out of Coleman Resolve. The 2157 heifer is out of the Evergreen cow family her dam is 14 years old a pathfinder and was palpated safe AI again this year so a heifer that should make a cow for sure. The sire of this bred heifer is Yon Reno.

Yes, not the easiest job to get a worthwhile image. I see he takes the photo from quite a way off and relies on his zoom. I might try that with my bulls if my hand is steady enough, I always think they are protecting their nuts from me by putting that near leg forward, maybe a bit more distance will give me a 50/50 chance on the stance.

Ken

I totally agree. The whole process is grueling...stressful.
They always set up perfectly when they are in the wrong angle...or setup downhill. Of course, like Ken said, they always have the back legs reverse and stretch out their neck, ears perked, head up....perfect....except those back legs.

catalog is out feel free to call if you have any questions

We had a great sale today excellent set of cattle from top to bottom. We are So thankful for all those that came and bid or purchased today it is very humblin.
Glad you had a great sale. Mark and I traded texts while he was down there. Was looking at some of his and his families Hereford bulls. He said it was a good auction.

Latest posts