Mastitis...

Help Support CattleToday:

funky 4-Her

Reaction score
So, heres the deal. In the past week we have found 4 dry cows that have mastitis. They all have been dry for probably about a month. All of them have the red kind of mastitis, we treated them. Also they were all dry treated to prevent this. Just puzzles me why they are getting it while they are dry, I thought mastitis was something cows got while milking... :help:

Nope. Lactating cows, dry cows, heifers... they're all potential canidates for mastitis. "Mastitis" is just a generic term that means an intra-mammary infection. The cows may have had a subclinical case of mastitis prior to dry-off. Dry treatment rarely cures a chronic cow, and isn't 100% effective at preventing mastitis in culturally clean cows at dry-off. It helps, but it's not 100%.

funky 4-Her":28u2aigp said:
So, heres the deal. In the past week we have found 4 dry cows that have mastitis. They all have been dry for probably about a month. All of them have the red kind of mastitis, we treated them. Also they were all dry treated to prevent this. Just puzzles me why they are getting it while they are dry, I thought mastitis was something cows got while milking... :help:
you need to get those 4 cows up .an stripp out the infected teat.an trat them with a mastitis treatment.no milking dry cows heifers an calves can get mastitis.are the dry cows standing in a pool.

bigbull338":1iw181at said:
funky 4-Her":1iw181at said:
you need to get those 4 cows up .an stripp out the infected teat.an trat them with a mastitis treatment.no milking dry cows heifers an calves can get mastitis.are the dry cows standing in a pool.

We have stripped them out and treated them, no they're not standing in a pool. The only water around is in an old bathtub; where they drink from.

Flies can carry it, soiled bedding can be a cause... it's all dependent on what type of pathogen is the culprit in these cows. It could be contagious or it could be environmental. Impossible to say without culturing them. Might just be a fluke thing that four showed up at the same time... or there might be a good reason for it. Are the 4 cows a large percentage of the herd?

Oh my bad. We acctually dont have any milking right now... we got out of that in December. We kept milking these cows though until it was time for them to be dried off. There are about 20 drys out there now.

funky 4-Her":dc0y5rsc said:

What is the red kind of mastitis? Do you mean that one of the quarters looks purple red and hot to touch?

Gail

GMN":2ddns1tw said:
funky 4-Her":2ddns1tw said:

What is the red kind of mastitis? Do you mean that one of the quarters looks purple red and hot to touch?

Gail

No... the stuff you strip out is red, not white. Dad says that the red stuff is easier to get rid of then the white stuff.

funky 4-Her":z7i49jqd said:
GMN":z7i49jqd said:
funky 4-Her":z7i49jqd said:

Gail

No... the stuff you strip out is red, not white. Dad says that the red stuff is easier to get rid of then the white stuff.

Oh I see now. The red stuff is it like clotted blood? What did you use to dry treat them?

Gail

Latest posts